Anyone else anxiously waiting for a cabin number?

debsjc

Hi Bob- did that cruise Nov. 08. Great cruise. You will really enjoy it. Bring plenty of sunscreen and get up early if you want to be on the rail when you enter the Canal. Amazing site. Also bring a foldable poncho. We had alot of rain and a lightweight poncho is a must. Don't miss the Panama rolls.

I didn't say all the long time HAL cruisers book suites. But a lot do. I think single supplement travelers are probably the least likely to get upgraded for some unknown reason. I think these boards give people a false sense of how often and how many upgrades actually take place per sailing. There are thousands cruising on one ship, but I'm willing to be only a few score an upgrade. Some of these people are CC members and post that information here. It gives people an unreasonable expectation of how often and how many are given out by the CL. Just my 2 cents on the topic that never dies. Happy Sailing!

While waiting for my cabin assignment, I had some spare time so I constructed a hypothesis about how cabin assignments are made. If I were a cruise line, I'd hold the more attractive unbooked cabins as long as possible in the hope that I could sell them at or near the full price and only release them to guarantees at the last minute.

The benefit to us of this hypothesis is that, if we check shore excursions or online check-in every day and find that we have not yet been assigned a cabin, we should be pleased rather than disappointed. So every day would be a good day, at least until and maybe after we get the assignment.

Someone may object that if my hypothesis is wrong, and there is absolutely no evidence to support it, we would be doomed to disappointment when we found out at the end that we'd been assigned the noisiest cabin on the ship. But we were fated to get that cabin anyway, and if I were going to be hanged for stealing horses or ball point pens from cruise lines, I'd prefer that it be a last minute surprise rather spend the last couple of weeks before the big event staring it unhappily in the face.

Does anyone know when they start calling to offer paid upgrades? We booked a specific room thru HAL and the agent we spoke with asked if we'd be interested in a paid or comp upgrade. We said yes, we would possibly be depending on the location. She told us she would put us down and they could start offering those about 30 days out. Its 29 now and we haven't heard from them. I didn't know if its too early and maybe she didn't really know.

I mostly have the guarantee assignments figured out. It is mostly based on price paid and prices of the various catergories. By watching the HAL website, I usually can guess my assignment or come very close. This time I booked an H guarantee and my "system" told me staying at an H was most likely. That's what I was assigned. We were offered an upsell today to a VA and accepted, so I won't know if we could have lucked out and gotten a late upgrade to a higher (than H) category.

This is the only time we have been assigned the category we originally booked. All other times the price has gone down after booking (usually after final payment). This cruise never dropped in price after we booked.

Just curious-- but do you care to share your theory? I'd love to hear what your "system" is! ;)

Thanks!

Does anyone know when they start calling to offer paid upgrades? We booked a specific room thru HAL and the agent we spoke with asked if we'd be interested in a paid or comp upgrade. We said yes, we would possibly be depending on the location. She told us she would put us down and they could start offering those about 30 days out. Its 29 now and we haven't heard from them. I didn't know if its too early and maybe she didn't really know.

If there are any available they will start calling. If someone declines they move next down the list and so on until all have been taken and filled.

It is supposed to help if you are a Mariner but some long time HAL pax say they never have seen an upgrade.

Who knows what the system is.

I'm not sure being a mariner helps much. We've been on 8 cruises with HAL and we've yet to get an upgrade. One paid several years ago. We told the TA how much we'd pay for a SA and she said HAL doesn't do that. But, they did. She called and said she couldn't believe it, they'd never done that before. They must have been eager to sell it. We've tried that a few times since with no luck, but as far as a comp upgrade, never had one.

Sailing on the sold out 10/18 38 day sailing on the Prinsendam. If anyone has any magic potions, secret rituals, herbal rites, upgrades dances, please share them with us as we are anxiously awaiting our cabin assignment. :rolleyes: Booked a along time ago, like a year out. Hopefully, longevity plays a role in the cabin assignment process.

Oops, gotta be careful when mentioning longevity on a HAL cruise. However, just disembarked a small Princess ship which is a runner up to any HAL cruise on which I've been when it comes to canes, walkers, scooters, wheelchairs, etc.

Happy cruising, whenever, where ever. which ever cabin. :)

Good to see this topic is still up and running :D

I'm just back from our Eurodam cruise, so I thought I would report back about our cabin allocation. It finally popped up on the HAL website 3 days before sailing. Luckily our hotel in Quebec had a net connection, so I was able to access it from there.

We had a great upgrade from a VH guar to a VQ 'spa cabin' on deck 10. Although I wouldn't pay much extra for the spa cabin extras, it was lovely to have them. The location was fantastic for the views, near to the Lido pool and cafe, and we had a clear plexiglass balcony and a bath tub - overall an excellent cabin for us.

Will hopefully do a little review on the trip when I get time.

October 4th Zaandam finally got a cabin number. We booked a veranda suite guarantee and got an AA on deck 6. Could have done slightly better and got an A on deck 7 but I'm happy.

tytan, Are you on the four day or the Full Circle Hawaii, either one you might want to check out our roll call over 60 on right now, planing a meet n greet in Crows nest after lifeboat drill in Vancouver, and also one on 2nd day out of San Diego. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=783473

Well it seems that HAL has started calling people who are cruising on the 10/18 Westerdam cruise offering them upgrades for the people already booked in suites, so I am thinking they are trying to clear out the SY's to move the SZ GTY pax into those rather than give us the SA-C.... :( lol

REPOSTING - My first post was just ignored. :(

I am a single booked on the Ryndam in a NN booking. I wonder where I will wind up?

All I want is a cabin with a hot shower, and that is quiet. If I can have it very dark at night and during the sea days when I sleep in would be another plus.

REPOSTING - My first post was just ignored. :(

I am a single booked on the Ryndam in a NN booking. I wonder where I will wind up?

All I want is a cabin with a hot shower, and that is quiet. If I can have it very dark at night and during the sea days when I sleep in would be another plus.

I don't think your post was being ignored...but I don't think anyone has the answer to this. I'm a solo that usually books and MM and I've ended up anywhere between an MM and a D cabin so it's pretty hard to say.

Well it seems that HAL has started calling people who are cruising on the 10/18 Westerdam cruise offering them upgrades for the people already booked in suites, so I am thinking they are trying to clear out the SY's to move the SZ GTY pax into those rather than give us the SA-C.... :( lol

Well, that makes the most sense, doesn't it? The cost between SS and SA is not insignificant. If HAL were to make a habit of that upgrade, why would anyone be willing to pay SA, SB, SC prices??? :confused:

Archived