Snorkeling: Grand Cayman, Cozumel or Isla Roatan???

luvcruisin09

We are a group in our late 20's and will be sailing on the Carnival Legend in November. We currently have a Cave Tubing tour booked for Belize and the only other thing we want to do for sure is snorkeling. So Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Isla Roatan are open. We have been snorkeling before and want to make sure we get to see colorful beautiful fish, have some drinks and hopefully be on a boat with a waterslide. We have seen some that offer lots of different beach activities, water trampolines etc but we want the main focus to be on the snorkeling. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Open to booking with Carnival or privately.

You might do better to post in the Scuba and Snorkeling section.

Regardless, I have found that I am happiest when I am in the water (though I am into scuba now), so I would do a little snorkeling at each place...the sea life is abundant in most Caribbean ports (though not as much as in previous years, sadly) so you are sure to see a variety if you get out over some of the reefs. Please, if you do snorkel over the reef though, please don't touch. That makes the corals die. :(

If folks in your group are up for a little more adventure, I would recommend trying beginner scuba in one of the locations, as well...since these are all great dive sites. The general rule is, if you can swim and breathe through a snorkel, you can probably dive successfully!

Happy Cruising (and diving/snorkeling and THEN cheers2.gif)!

Roatan hands down. The area they take you to in Grand Cayman had too much silt and waves. Cozumel since Wilma does not have good coral close to the shore. Roatan was totally unspoilt in the areas that I went to.

Dave

I booked my 3 boys, their dad and their friends to do the beginner scuba at Roatan and they loved it. Said it was worth every penny. I will admit I took the girls and we went snorkling and saw lots of beautiful coral, turtle, sting ray and a someone in the group saw a small shark. My favorite place to go. We have snorkled in GC and Cozumel and they are just ok.

We were on the Legend on the Aug 16 sailing and we spent our day in Roatan at Fins and Flippers - we snorkeled for probably 3 hours straight. The amount of coral was unbelievable and we saw so many different types of fish. I would highly recommend the island - we also spent time visiting the various animals that have been rescued and relocated to the island. And at $20 for admission and $8 to rent the snorkel gear, it's a STEAL!

I absolutely agree that Roatan had the best snorkeling hands down. I've snorkeled in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Belize, as well and Roatan was the best. We went to Bananarama (beach/bar) using Victor Bodden tours. From the beach, we haggled and arranged for a guy to take us to an area known as the Blue Channel. It was gorgeous with hundreds of fish. VB charged us $20 each for the day to take us anywhere we wanted and the snorkeling was $15. We loved Roatan! It's one of our favorite ports.

We are a group in our late 20's and will be sailing on the Carnival Legend in November. We currently have a Cave Tubing tour booked for Belize and the only other thing we want to do for sure is snorkeling. So Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Isla Roatan are open. We have been snorkeling before and want to make sure we get to see colorful beautiful fish, have some drinks and hopefully be on a boat with a waterslide. We have seen some that offer lots of different beach activities, water trampolines etc but we want the main focus to be on the snorkeling. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Open to booking with Carnival or privately.

Did the coral reef/shipwreck at Grand Cayman....was lovely....

Luvcruisin09,

Just got back Sunday from Carnival Legend to the Western Caribbean. Hands down Roatan. We booked a full day tour through Victor Bodden Tours. we had a tour guide at our disposal for the day. Lionel was wonderful, and took us whereever, and whenever we wanted. Our focus was snorkeling, and he took us to several places on the West End which was absolutely gorgeous. As a scuba diver, this was the closest it gets. Colorful fish, coral, and even sea turtles. Depths from 4 foot to 30 foot. Total cost was $25 per person, and best money I spent on the cruise. Be sure to go see Victors wildlife Preserve and play with all the monkeys. My kids loved it and could have spent hours there as well.

Instead of Tabyana Beach in Roatan, go to a resort ~100 yards down. And actually, you can do it on your own for a lot cheaper in my opinion. We had a wonderful time at Mayan Princess Resort for the day. See this thread and scroll down to several different posts I made with a few pictures to. Keep in mind the thread was from 2 years ago, so the prices could have changed. I would love to go back there for a land vacation one day.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=640134

NCL built the first pier. Once the cruise lines discovered ROATAN, the secret was out!

Long known by the world's underwater photography folks, ROATAN is considered on the the TOP THREE scuba and snorkel destinations in the world.

There are 50+ distinct and different snorkeling and dive locales around the island.

This is a must do!

You might do better to post in the Scuba and Snorkeling section.

Regardless, I have found that I am happiest when I am in the water (though I am into scuba now), so I would do a little snorkeling at each place...the sea life is abundant in most Caribbean ports (though not as much as in previous years, sadly) so you are sure to see a variety if you get out over some of the reefs. Please, if you do snorkel over the reef though, please don't touch. That makes the corals die. :(

If folks in your group are up for a little more adventure, I would recommend trying beginner scuba in one of the locations, as well...since these are all great dive sites. The general rule is, if you can swim and breathe through a snorkel, you can probably dive successfully!

Happy Cruising (and diving/snorkeling and THEN cheers2.gif)!

Hi. Thanks for all the great info. I found the Scuba and Snorkel section and posted it there. I'm very new to this and can't figure out a way to delete this one. Does anyone know how to get rid of this thread?

Depending on when in November, you may be the first ship to open up the new Carnival dock in Roatan.

There will probably be some new snorkeling opportunities around it.

The first ship scheduled is in October per the news release from Carnival.

Dave

Hi. Thanks for all the great info. I found the Scuba and Snorkel section and posted it there. I'm very new to this and can't figure out a way to delete this one. Does anyone know how to get rid of this thread?

You can't delete! :) BTW....I really liked Fins 'N Flippers!

Archived