tipping

sparkyrmc

What joke? Going on the 15 day QM2 holiday/new years cruise. QG Cabin cost over $15,000. Spending $1500 to $2000 on tips is only 10%-12% of the voyage cost on tips of which only about $400 is automatically added to the ship board account and another $1000-$1500 goes to cabin steward, butler, waiter, assit waiter, bus boy. Head waiter, wine steward and Maitre D doesn't sound inappropriate to me.

You forgot the Bread Boy.

why would 1 tip the matid sp?

he is getting paid. If he got even $10 per p/p can you imagine now much tax free $ he gets

i prefer to tip the people who take care of me.

this pretippig amount automaticaqlly gives the employees no incentive

to do a great job as they already know what they will recieve

Mike,

Pay no mind to those who would criticize you for your generosity in rewarding excellent service. If it fits in your budget and makes you happy, keep it up. The recipients are very happy, no doubt. Those who criticize you are doing so since they seem to believe that your generosity will make them appear tight-fisted and they would have you stop so that they don't run the risk of looking less than generous. Or of you getting some even more attentive service than they. But, as you have indicated, you tip at the end, so how could this be so?;)

From my time on these boards and from talking to others, I believe it to be the norm for a good majority to tip extra, beyond the auto-tip.

So you keep doing what you are doing. If the service is up to snuff, put a little more in the grateful hands of those who provided it. Because the truth is, there are staterooms throughout the ship that have struck the auto-tip. Yes, even on Cunard! How much ends up being handed out personally? Hmmm, that I can't say...I have however, read posts from many non-Americans who object to the compensation model, on principal, believing that the company should not be asking its customers to subsidize a wage for the service staff onboard (yet still they book the cruises:rolleyes:). The reality is that these tips ARE the wage for many. Cut them and you take food out of their families' mouths.

Don't let negative postings about your personal choices that inure to the benefit of the staff involved get you down. In future though, you may want to consider keeping these practices private. You can see the results on this board. On the other hand, perhaps some people should be a bit ashamed of how little they give after demanding and receiving so much.

Bon voyage!

Bob, thanks for the kind comments. I guess it proves that nothing gets people more excited than talking about money.

Folks, it is a personal choice, and if you read my post, the decision to pay or not pay is mine or yours alone. I have tried to give the my rational for MY approach to tipping.

It often depends on circumstances. Would I tip a flight attendant for serving my drinks and dinner, no, because they are paid a good salary. Would I tip a bus driver who loaded or unloaded my cases, or a bell man, yes absolutely.

It is far more usual in the US to tip persons who provide service than it is in other parts of the world so that is the environment I come from.

Thanks to all for all the comments, and yes Robin, I think a tip for the Bread boy or girl is right,

Cheers Mike.

May I offer an opinion/outlook/point of reference on the tipping issue as a resident of the US.

I have never worked in the hospitality industry but have been involved as a limited partner in an establishment that serves food and drink - this establishment every year has to report to our IRS (Internal Revenue Service) the wages paid to employees.

We have a minimum wage in the US - waitstaff are paid less than this with the governments assumption (read IRS) that the difference between what the employer pays and what the waitperson makes in tips equals at least the minimum wage. (Tipping is expected to make up this difference).

It's very confusing for Americans (please excuse this loose reference to residents of the US - no offense to our fellow inhabitants of the North/Central/South American Continents) to travel "across the pond" and always have to be concerned as to whether "la quenta" is "service compri" (apologies to espanol and franciais).

Is it not reasonable to assume that the idea of the "Ugly American" (totally ignoring fashion and weight issues) came from leaving 15% on top of a bill that included a 10% service charge?

Seein's how Carnival owns the great names of ocean travel (Cunard/Holland America/Princess/P&O) and how they have expanded the market for cruises, does it not follow that they would follow the US idea of tipping?

As someone who has worked in the travel industry as an agent, and as someone who has gone on yacht charters, the norm here in the US is one tips 15% on the cost of the experience - I can understand Gari's dismay at the idea of tipping 15% of "what" but the agent that sold the package to Gari should have 'splained this.

Spent much time on railroad boards trying to figure out the proper amount to tip on AMTRAK and Via Rail - these were for the dining car and the sleeping car attendant - handled differently in each case, but not to tip was considered bad form. Also here in the US it is normal to leave a tip for the hotel housekeeping staff. Not tipping out of ignorance is excusable, but to have the automatic charge to one's account removed and not compensate the service staff for services rendered is unforgivable. Of course, the staff will get over it, but as they say, Guilt, the gift that keeps on giving.

The leaving of gratuities varies greatly from country to country - one should learn the landscape as best as possible - took a 17 day repositioning cruise Oct 08 (HAL) and had no problem with the automatic dally charge to the room account for the tips - did give the cabin steward a good tip leaving the ship because he did really do a great job - the automatic took care of all the others that provided good service (we were on the dine any time plan).

This trip, having the same dining room staffl for the whole voyage will mean there will probaby be a "little extra" for these folks.

Hope I don't break a leg getting off my soap box (did buy the insurance though) - also have the NOMEX undergarments on in case of flames:D

May I offer an opinion/outlook/point of reference on the tipping issue as a resident of the US.

Of course. And everything you say makes sense.

The only animosity that I have detected is to those who pre-tip, so to speak, and do so almost on the assumption that it is the only way to get good service. Not only is this a bribe, at least in the eyes of the Old World, but in my view I think it is pretty insulting to the service personnel, as it assumes that they will not give of their best unless bought.

My own view is that Cunard do say that the autotip is sufficient, but that I would expect to tip more than that amount. But I cannot see that simply relying on the autotip is wrong.

I'm not sure that the American model is appropriate for an international ship - certainly in terms of staff. Indeed it is rare to see a North American crew member. Remember both QM2 and QV fly the Red (or occasionally Blue) Ensign. Not the Stars and Stripes.

I am sure that it is a minefield, and (speaking personally) would prefer to pay upfront for a fare that would properly reward the crew and then forbid tipping.

Incidentally - everyone who has been on a tender will have noticed the hard work of the deck crew, and their unfailing good nature. They get NOTHING from the tipping pool.

Just thought that should be said.

3rd here, I fully agree, we in the UK dont tip people, we pay a minimum wage, low earner get huge benefits, huge, in the end they can often earn more than higher paid earners.

I would love to see us all pay a higher fare and have no tips, that way everyone is happy.

I also know that many people say they tip, but do they, the line at the pursers office to remove autotips are long, try standing nearby and listen, there a lot removing them, and who knows what is inside those sealed envelopes

Archived