Ponce for 2 days

24nascar48

I'm going to be in Ponce for 2 days on Labor Day weekend and am having a difficult time finding info on the net about activities to do there. I'll be travelling with my fiance and we will be renting a car. I've heard about the firehouse and the museums, but we are more of an outdoors couple. has anyone had any experience doing water activities in the area? What are the beaches like? How far are the rain forests and the mountains? Anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Not much will be open on Sun and Mon in the city.

You need a car.

There are great beaches in the Guanica/ Cabo Rojo area, also little islands off the coast.

Lots of forest with hiking trails in that area. Toro Negro, Maricao Forest etc. Dry forest.

La Parguera Biobay.

Lots to do-

maybe look over on TA- do a search for Ponce, you will find ideas in the SW area.

Hi and welcome to Ponce!! You can also try to visit the Susua forest, which can be accesed through Yauco, a town some 20-30 minutes west of Ponce...

There is also the Hacienda Buena Vista, an old coffe plantantion house that has guided tours. This is located in Ponce, in road 123 (old state road 10). And the park at the Maraguez river dam is also a nice outdoor place to visit in Ponce.

• 8 years later...
Hi and welcome to Ponce!! You can also try to visit the Susua forest, which can be accesed through Yauco, a town some 20-30 minutes west of Ponce...

There is also the Hacienda Buena Vista, an old coffe plantantion house that has guided tours. This is located in Ponce, in road 123 (old state road 10). And the park at the Maraguez river dam is also a nice outdoor place to visit in Ponce.

This is an old post but.....here goes anyway. I am looking at Ponce for a day. Is it worth the drive in from Old San Juan? I hear it's a very nice drive. We like to wander the streets really, not much into museums. Is there enough to see to just wander around?

Hi, and thanks for asking! Ponce, does have nice sights in the historic center of town, which should make for a nice day's walk. There are museums, historic buildings, banks, the City Hall, coffee shops, restaurants, shops, etc. that should be of your interest. The drive from San Juan is a nice scenic one, but as of now it shows how hard hurricane Maria hit the island. Also, take into consideration that state highway 52, which is the main road from San Juan to Ponce, has many areas that has very rough pavement, even more so after the hurricane. Google Maps shows many of the landmarks in the center of town.

If you finally visit Ponce, make sure to try the famous "helados de los chinos" (ice cream parlor almost in front of the Ponce firehouse in the Las Delicias plaza)!