San Pedro departure changed to Long Beach

RMLincoln

We are booked on Amsterdam Dec 2 for a 21 day cruise to Panama Canal. HAL has changed to departure and retrun port from San Pedro/LA Harbor to Long Beach terminal. We are flying in the night before and have a room reserved in San Pedro at a very good rate at a hotel that shuttles free to San Pedro port but not to Long Beach.

How hard is it to get from San Pedro to Long Beach and how much do you think a taxi would be? Or should I start over and find different lodging, SuperShuttle and all? :confused:

We are booked on Amsterdam Dec 2 for a 21 day cruise to Panama Canal. HAL has changed to departure and retrun port from San Pedro/LA Harbor to Long Beach terminal. We are flying in the night before and have a room reserved in San Pedro at a very good rate at a hotel that shuttles free to San Pedro port but not to Long Beach.

How hard is it to get from San Pedro to Long Beach and how much do you think a taxi would be? Or should I start over and find different lodging, SuperShuttle and all? :confused:

It is not far at all - about 6 miles. Your hotel can organize a taxi and it will probably be under $20ish. If you email the hotel, they will be able to provide an accurate figure, and details of possible transport options. Some of the hotels in San Pedro offer a driver service.

:D:D:D

Hal still list departure port as Los Angeles. One online TA site has it listed as sailing out of Long Beach but also has the next cruise on the ship out of LA. All other sites I go into has it as Los Angeles. Since I am driving to the port It woud be weird to park at Long Beach and then have to take a taxi from San Pedro back to Lond Beach at the end of the cruise.

I think HAL is not very clear about the San Pedro / Long Beach terminals. Even after my e-docs became printable, there was a discrepency. One page referred to San Pedro, and another to Long Beach. Having never embarked in Los Angeles, I was beginning to think they were one in the same. Very confusing. We finally booked the HAL shuttle - just to be sure we end up in the right place.

This is always somewhat confusing since no other cities have and/or use two separate cruise terminals so close to each other so bear with me. HAL only lists Los Angeles as their Southern California destination (besides of course, San Diego). In other words, they don't list Long Beach as a destination so there is no distinction between the two cruise terminals that serve the greater L.A. area. The oldest of them being the World Cruise Center in San Pedro (just about underneath the Vincent Thomas expansion Bridge) and the newer one being the former home of Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose at the port of Long Beach adjacent to the former pride of Cunard and now hotel ship, Queen Mary. The Carnival Corporation had the dome rebuilt into a cruise terminal some time after the Hughes aircraft was moved up north. Cruise lines under the umbrella of the Carnival Corporation, i.e. HAL, Princess, Cunard, etc. still use both terminals but if Long Beach is available, i.e. no other CC ships there, that port gets preference.

Driving time between the port of Los Angeles and the port of Long Beach takes all of 20 minutes, across the Vincent Thomas Bridge into Terminal Island, across the Thomas Desmond Bridge into the City of Long Beach, and a right turn onto Queens Way.

I would keep your hotel in Pedro and use that shuttle for the short ride into Long Beach. A cab ride there will run you about $20-$25. Have a great cruise!

community-img1.jpg

Port of Los Angeles World Cruise Center (extreme left with Princess Cruise ship, Vincent Thomas Bridge and SS Lane Victory museum ship on the right)

37999.jpg

Long Beach Cruise Terminal (RMS Queen Mary on the top - parking structure to the left)

I'm glad to know which port we will arrive at for our Dec. 2nd disembarkation, on the Amsterdam. Now all we have to figure out is what to do until our red-eye flight home! :eek: I wonder if HAL will arrange an excursion from the port to the airport, as they have done in other cities. :confused:

I think you may have to remain sort of flexible on final arrangements. The last time we sailed with HAL out of Los Angeles the docs said Los Angeles (San Pedro), HAL said the same and when we drove down that morning (we only live 10 minutes away from San Pedro) the ship was on the Long Beach side. I think hotel shuttles would accommodate either one the traffic isn't usually that bad at the hours we're coming/going from the cruise terminals. Maybe not though; the OP mentioned that his hotel says they don't shuttle over the bridge.

Just a note to say I really liked the Doubletree in May 09. We also went to the Greek restaurant in town for dinner the night before and had a ball!

Papadakis Taverna - good place:), great food:D, even better belly-dancer(s):eek:

http://www.papadakistaverna.com/

Too bad the owners are big-time USC football fans; dad and two of his sons played for the University of Spoiled Children

This is always somewhat confusing since no other cities have and/or use two separate cruise terminals so close to each other so bear with me. HAL only lists Los Angeles as their Southern California destination (besides of course, San Diego).

Thanks for posting those pics Copper. We always take a peek down at Long Beach to see if there are any cruise ships in town when we fly into LAX from Australia. That routing goes straight over the top of Long Beach before taking a turn and heading into LAX. Great to see you back again!;)

Thanks for posting those pics Copper. We always take a peek down at Long Beach to see if there are any cruise ships in town when we fly into LAX from Australia. That routing goes straight over the top of Long Beach before taking a turn and heading into LAX. Great to see you back again!;)

Base leg before turning final to either 25L or 25R at LAX' south complex!;)

Thanks, at least I feel better to know that this has happened to other HAL departures. I

see that HAL still lists it as departing San Pedro/LA but word came from the TA that HAL had alerted them to an "itinerary change". I'll check the taxi site, so thanks much for the info. The whole thing is months away so I'll hang loose. If we have to take a taxi, so be it. The room in San Pedro is under $50 at the Vagabond, internet supersaver rate. We've stayed there before and it was good for us. We're getting in late so not much time to take advantage of a 3 or 4 star hotel. I'll call them again when time gets closer. My guess is that they'll take us to Long Beach. Last time there, almost everybody in the hotel was going to the pier, although there were 2 ships going out. I'll check the port schedules too and see if there will be other ships going out of San Pedro.

Interestingly, it looks like Amsterdm is going out of San Pedro/LA side on the 23rd, when we supposedly get back into Long Beach... so I"m not sure what to believe and I guess it really doean't matter now, as long as we can get a taxi across the bridge if we need it.

Thanks for the cool pictures. And all your encouragement.

Maureen

That is very strange because I have my docs in my hand and they clearly say "debark Los Angeles, Long Beach/Queen Mary Terminal.

That's what my docs say also - what a coincidence. Maybe it's because we are on the same cruise?:D

Anyway, that's why I booked the expensive HAL transfers to and from the ship - I paid for it so they had better get me and my luggage to where I'm supposed to be!

I haven't been anywhere near Long Beach or San Pedro since 1973 and wouldn't have a clue how to find my way around there any more.

See you soon.

Valerie:)

That's what my docs say also - what a coincidence. Maybe it's because we are on the same cruise?:D

Anyway, that's why I booked the expensive HAL transfers to and from the ship - I paid for it so they had better get me and my luggage to where I'm supposed to be!

I haven't been anywhere near Long Beach or San Pedro since 1973 and wouldn't have a clue how to find my way around there any more.

See you soon.

Valerie:)

If you get lost down here, call me and/or set off some flares, Val;)

Archived