beware of tours operators getting off the bus

We were in Prgresso a week ago, I am just geting time to post this response to a worrible experience in Prgresso.

My husband, son 5 y/o and I were plannning to spend the day on the beach in Prgresso, we have been there before and had a great day, just hanging out, eating and playing with our son. My husbnd has ms and when he was getting off the bus he feel and sprained his ankle badly. Before we could get our act together we were approached by a man selling a day at a hotel, all inclusive, travel to and from, food and open bar for. We paid him $30 per person and our son was at no charge. We were concerned, the man told us everything was included, ask about 4 times just to confirn, he said the same guy would pick us up and bring us back in time to catch the bus to the boat.

Because my husband doesnt walk well to begin with and the fact that he just sprained his ankle, I guess we were caught off gaurd. I guess I didnt think he would be able to walk to the beach in Progresso.

We got to Sian Ka'an, its about a 30 minute drive, the whole time I told my husband I hope we werent getting screwed. We arrive, the water is beautiful, the hotel is older,not nice. A young man comes up to us and tell us we haev to pay $10 more to eat, the price we paid was only for snacks, I was more than upset, but my husband paid it anyway. The young guys response to my questions about what the salesperson told us is that he lied and shouldnt be telling people that. I told him I own a business and that I have to accept responsibility for my employess actions, that is part of being in business. He didnt care, just wanted the money.

So the drinks were less than good, beer in a plastic cup(no bottled beer), margaritas that were horrible, They did bring cokes for my son.

My son did enoy the pool.

The food is horrible, we are from Houston and we know good mexican food, this is food was not edible. Chips and salsa was good. I not sure what kind of meat they served us for the fajitas, we are used to eating at Taquerias, so see some crazy stuff, this was nasty.:mad:

We got ready to leave and whenwe got back to Prgresso, the taxi driver, who was suppose to be paid already, charged us $60. This is what upset me more than anything, we were told travel was included to and from, I asked over and over again before we paid and left Progresso.

This place is a rip off, They lie about everything Dont go,, please learn from our mistake. I intend to pos this on Carnival as well.

I will say the beach was nice!, Better than progresso, but not worth the amt of money we paid, the principal is that they lied just to get us there.

Just a FYI. The Yucatan doesn't generally prepare Texmex style food. Same for the state of Campeche. Much different. Lots of good Mayan dishes though. Not that spicy but condiments are usually made available. At home I prefer draft beer over bottled. Fajitas were probably made with skirt steak which is very good and hard to find here. Grill quickly and cut accross the grain.

So sorry to hear about your terrible experience in Progreso. We were there a couple of weeks ago and we went to the Reef Resort through Autoprogreso and it was wonderful. You might want to consider doing that on your next trip.

Archived