Lamani or Altun Ha?

mom2two2

Dh and I will be in Belize with RCCL for the first time in Jan and would love to book a ruins excursion or something similar. I am looking at both Lamani and Altun Ha - Which is better? We have never done any ruins of any kind so I am anticipating either would impress us.

TIA

mom2two2

On my last cruise, which included a stop in Belize, I originally did a ton of research and picked Lamanai. It's a much bigger site, located deep in the jungle and is supposed to have a real "Indiana Jones" feel about it. Unfortunately, due to some mechanical problems with the ship's motor, our day in Belize was shortened so that the tour to Lamanai was cancelled. As a back-up, I booked a trip to Altun Ha and the Belize Zoo with Shoretrips.com. Both of these places were worthwhile, and as someone who hadn't seen any Mayan ruins before, Altun Ha was certainly impressive. That said, I would still love to make it to Lamanai someday. It sounds so much nicer.

If you're ok with a long day, I'd say definitely pick Lamanai. You need to take a bus followed by a river boat to get there, so I'd go with the cruiseline's tour for this one (and I'm normally a big proponent of independent excursions). If you'd like something closer, Altun Ha is worthwhile, especially to someone who hasn't seen any Mayan Ruins before. The drive here is probably an hour or an hour and a half on bumpy roads, but is a shorter trip than Lamanai and can easily be done independently, and combined with a trip to the zoo, a river trip, a city tour, and as I just recently read, possibly cave tubing as well.

Thank you so much for the input, I appreciate it. I AM leaning towards Lamanai but when you say long trip - do you know exactly how long we are talking? I see from the ship's website that it is a 7 hr excursion. I am wondering if we are 3 hrs on the way there and back with only an hr at the ruins or something like that...Any idea?

If I recall correctly, I think it was 2-2.5 hrs each way. Since part of it is on a riverboat though, that would probably be a pleasant way to pass the time, since they do point out wildlife along the way. At least to me, it sounds better than the same amount of time on a bus the whole way.

We have only been to Lamanai and would highly recommend it. It is to this day one of the best places I have experienced on a cruise. It is a long day, but IMHO it was worth it!

We went through and independent tour operator. It was about 1 hour drive to Orange Walk where you get on a boat. From here there is about an hour boat ride (very fast ride) down the New River (I think that is the name - if memory serves...). It is a great ride with flora and fauna. You go past a Mennonite community. Then you come to a large open area and Lamanai appears - beautiful.

You explore the ruins - just wonderful - you might have some lunch and shop in the little "gift shops". From there you do the whole trip in reverse.

We have only been to Lamanai and would highly recommend it. It is to this day one of the best places I have experienced on a cruise. It is a long day, but IMHO it was worth it!

We went through and independent tour operator. It was about 1 hour drive to Orange Walk where you get on a boat. From here there is about an hour boat ride (very fast ride) down the New River (I think that is the name - if memory serves...). It is a great ride with flora and fauna. You go past a Mennonite community. Then you come to a large open area and Lamanai appears - beautiful.

You explore the ruins - just wonderful - you might have some lunch and shop in the little "gift shops". From there you do the whole trip in reverse.

What was the cost from the independent operator and how long was the day?

What was the cost from the independent operator and how long was the day?

I think we paid $75 per person. We went through Belize Cruise Excursions and found them to be very professional and reliable.

The day was a full day. We got off the cruises ship on the second tender (about 7:30am ship time) (which depending upon your cruise line can take some doing) and left as soon as we hit the dock. Out guide was waiting for us and made sure to get us up to Orange Walk quickly. We then took the hour boat ride - fun and fast. We had about two hours at the ruins. Then we did the whole thing in reverse. They gave us lunch at the boat dock. We finally arrived back to the port to get one of the later tenders to the ship. We did have enought time to do a bit of shopping right outside the port and inside. We where finally on teh ship by 3:00pm.

Below is some info I posted when I got back in response to CC questions.

We just returned from a cruise which took us to Belize. I was set on exploring Lamanai. First let me say that we DID go to Lamanai and it was the very best thing I did on the entire 8 day cruise. It was also one of if not the most beautiful place I have ever been to.

A few things to know about if you want to go to Lamanai:

1. Belize is a tender port. You must get out on the first or second tender. I found that cruise ships like to get their excursion passengers off first so make sure to speak to the Purser's Desk and confirm the tendering procedure. On the morning of arrival, make sure to be in the gathering location early and be politely firm about getting off the ship.

2. You will need a print out of your confirmation with tour time - make it as early as possible! The cruise ship will ask for this as proof of an early tour.

3. Have your travel documents with you just in case you miss the tender. The ship leaves ON TIME.

4. The drive from the pier to Orange Walk is at least 1 hour. Then you take a boat ride 24 miles down the New River. We traveled at about 22 knots the entire time so it took us about another hour or so. Then you have to do it all over again to get back!

5. Traffic in Belize City can be tough mid day.

6. If you go bring bug replant and wear good hiking boots/sneakers and pants. There is a lot of mud in areas and if you climb any of the temples you need to have really good footwear and pants. It is warm and humid. You can climb the temple - or not. It is not just climbing stairs - they are steep! Tip: Leave your backpacks on the ground but take a camera.

7. If you go with BCE you will be able to explore at your pace and see as much or as little as you wish and/or time allows.

That being said, I wish we had more time to explore this beautiful place. Because we left so early we were the only ones at Lamanai and it was WONDERFUL. This is a site that does not get a lot of cruise traffic - just what I like. I cannot wait to go back to Belize and spend a number of days at Lamanai.

Richard our land based guide drove us to Orange Walk with the speed of a Puma. What a great job.

Jr. took us down the New River with a few stops along the way to see wildlife - including crocodiles. He was fantastic. Jr. also took us around Lamanai and was very knowledgeable. He encouraged us to climb the largest temple - so we did. Now that I am home I can say that I was glad that I did it. What a thrill!

This is not a fancy cruise tour. This is a real experience to be enjoyed.

This is great information and sounds like something that we would enjoy.

DH and I are not high maintenance types so the fact that it is not "fancy" is fine with us. But I want to ask...every once in awhile without fail, someone jumps into these threads and says "stay on the ship", it is not safe out of the main area in Belize and so on...

Did you, at any time feel unsafe? I know we would be in isolated areas...what was the general feel? Were there other tourists around?

I have never been anywhere like Belize before and I really do want to experience something that I will remember but I also want to be safe of course.

Dh and I will be in Belize with RCCL for the first time in Jan and would love to book a ruins excursion or something similar. I am looking at both Lamani and Altun Ha - Which is better? We have never done any ruins of any kind so I am anticipating either would impress us.

TIA

mom2two2

I, too, went to Lamani with BelizeCruiseExcursions, Oct 2008. It was $75, with a 20% deposit, the rest in US$ CASH at time of tour. It was one of the best tours I've taken. There had just been some very heavy rains, so walking around the ruins was sometimes a challenge - mud, moss, slippery rocks. We all did enjoy it.

Safe: Yes, I felt completely safe. We were never alone. On the Roll Call for our cruise, the eight of us all got together and booked the tour, so even though we did not go on a 'ship's tour,' we had all met (and had dinner the night before together). The ruins were not crowded at all, but there were other people around. There is a small gift shop. (What a surprise! :p)

Do bring and use a bug spray with DEET, and not that 'wimpy' stuff with 5% or 15%. Not even 20% or 30%. I used "Off Deep Woods Sportsmen Insect Repellent" with a whopping 98.11% DEET. The folks on the tour who used to 'regular' stuff were borrowing mine half way through the tour. I got it in a Target, or Walmart, but in the sporting goods section. It's a small 1 OZ pump spray bottle. It worked. http://www.offprotects.com/deet/ (No, I don't work for Off, nor, as I read the back of the bottle S.C. Johnson.)

As 'SingingPixie" pointed out, during the boat ride they will point out different wildlife. At one point the boat slowed way down, and turned into some brush growing out of the water. The front of the boat was almost touching the bush. I still remember how high the ladies in the front jumped, and how loud their scream was when the guide pointed out the bats hanging in the bush.

When we got back to the port, there was time for those who wanted to do some shopping or get a beverage ashore.

Rich

I have been to Chichen Itza and Coba in the Cancun area previously, and visited Altun Ha on my cruise two years ago, on a joint excursion with a River Wallace adventure. Altun Ha does not compare! The ruins are not as rich or extensive as either Coba or Chichen Itza, the guides not as dynamic and the overall experience was pretty close to a disappointment. We still enjoyed it, but nothing near like the other ruins. I have not been to Lamani so I have no experience with those ruins but it appears they are better kept than Altun Ha.

We are on the Carnival Valor leaving this weekend (Sept 13) and I have reserved the Lamanai excursion with BelizeCruiseExcursions. We're looking forward to it and are glad to read the positive reviews. Of course, there is always the chance of a problem arising and missing the ship when on a private tour but it appears this would be very unusual. Will let you all know how it goes when we return, assuming we do! ;)

This is great information and sounds like something that we would enjoy.

DH and I are not high maintenance types so the fact that it is not "fancy" is fine with us. But I want to ask...every once in awhile without fail, someone jumps into these threads and says "stay on the ship", it is not safe out of the main area in Belize and so on...

Did you, at any time feel unsafe? I know we would be in isolated areas...what was the general feel? Were there other tourists around?

I have never been anywhere like Belize before and I really do want to experience something that I will remember but I also want to be safe of course.

Just as Rich40245 experienced - we never felt unsafe. We tend to travel to some unique parts of the world and Belize was fine. Just remember that you are in a different country and that things are different.

I would also bring the DEET. I found Deep Wood OFF in towellet form - which works well since we travel carry on only (TSA 311 rule :mad:).

We have been to Chichen Itza (not sure of the spelling) near Cancun. How does Lamani and/or Altun Ha compare?

Any problems doing either over spring break (march 2010)?

Thanks!

We have also traveled around the Chitzen Itza, Coba and Tulum areas. AS far as I am concerned Lamanai and Ek Balam (north west of Coba) are outstanding.

I would also bring the DEET. I found Deep Wood OFF in towellet form - which works well since we travel carry on only (TSA 311 rule :mad:)

The OFF towelette are DEET 25%. The bottle I mentioned is only 1 oz size, so it can be carried aboard aircraft.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

TIA

mom2two2

We haven't been on the Altun-Ha tour but we took the Lamanai tour through NCL (because of the associated risks). If you are willing to take those risks with an independent tour, you will not be disappointed. They know that you have to be back at a certain time. I don't think they would take on a tour like this without being reliable in that regard. It's an all-day excursion for sure. There is the boat ride up the New River to the ruins which is an adventure in itself. (Sighted: One baby croc, numerous large iguanas, mosquito bats, snail kites, local fishermen and Mennonites!)

The Lamanai ruins are absolutely awesome. We heard, then saw a group of howler monkeys. The most incredible screaming noises you have ever experienced. They kept it up the whole time we were there. Then to see and actually climb to the top of the Mayan pyramid!! Incredible (but not the safest climb. There is a large rope to help you ascend and descend. Don't wear a skirt or dress unless you want everyone below you to see your goodies.

This tour was a once in a lifetime adventure for me. Loved every minute of it.

I did end up booking the Lamanai tour through the ship. But I have to admit I am a little nervous about this, with the bad reputation Belize has. I hope we will be safe....

We were on NCL's Lam excursion & I never felt unsafe. I know anything can happen anywhere but we just did not have a feeling of insecurity or fear. And we had our 4 boys w/ us.

Archived