Check in At Port

davewilliamt

You can drop off your bags whenever you want, but if it is before noon you may never see them again. It really depends on the ship but the porters are tied up getting everyone off the ship until about 11am. They don't set up to take luggage until everyone is off the ship and the area is clear. Exceptions are made but do you want to risk you luggage on an exception?

There is nothing inside the port - no stores - no restaurants - nothing. Outside seating is very limited - a few benches. Customs has control of the terminal so they will not let you inside until everyone is cleared out from the previous cruise. There are 2500 people getting off and 2500 getting back on so they do not like exceptions.

You can drop off your bags whenever you want, but if it is before noon you may never see them again. It really depends on the ship but the porters are tied up getting everyone off the ship until about 11am. They don't set up to take luggage until everyone is off the ship and the area is clear. Exceptions are made but do you want to risk you luggage on an exception?

They do accept luggage before 10am at Miami, in fact I was at the terminal for 9:30 and there was not an issue with them taking my luggage. My group of 3 where behind maybe 20 people when we got to the terminal. There were porters there just to handle those persons embarking and arriving early, such as ourselves.

Is there anything to do at the port other than sit and wait?

There is nothing around the port to do except to wait. We arrived as I said around 9:30 and were allowed in the building to wait in a line. There were 2 Carnival reps at the first desk, prior to the security screening area, that was checking documents and such. After waiting maybe 10 minutes in this line, we were directed to the security screening area and here we waited almost 30 minutes for security (they did not have custom uniforms on but rather security uniforms) to get the scanners and such running. They did allow wedding parties and such to pass prior to us. About 10:15 they started letting every one through. Once beyond security, we had a short line to get our sail n sign cards, then went and sat in some chairs. About 11 they directed us to get our pics for the sail n sign then we boarded the ship. We were on board and eating at the lido deck for 11:20.

When leaving New Orleans, as we moved across the walkway to enter the ship, we actually saw others leaving the ship, am not sure that is the norm, but was kind of fun to think we were boarding and they had to get off.

This is just my experience.

There is nothing inside the port - no stores - no restaurants - nothing. Outside seating is very limited - a few benches. Customs has control of the terminal so they will not let you inside until everyone is cleared out from the previous cruise. There are 2500 people getting off and 2500 getting back on so they do not like exceptions.

So what would you do? Wait at the airport? Or wait at the port?

So what would you do? Wait at the airport? Or wait at the port?

I would wait at the port. I enjoy people watching, and chatting with others that are getting ready to cruise. One never knows who they may meet while waiting. Also, waiting at the airport would drive me insane as I would want to be at the port so I could see the ship I was about to embark on and at the airport it would be like a let down waiting and waiting.

We are using the fly away with Carnival and arrive at noon in Tamp. Our embarkation is 4 pm. Any idea what we are going to do for four hours?

Unless something has changed Birdy, your ship will leave port at 4pm. By the time you arrive in Tampa, there may be cruisers already onboard the ship enjoying the lido grill, drinks of the day and the ship in general.

We are using the fly away with Carnival and arrive at noon in Tamp. Our embarkation is 4 pm. Any idea what we are going to do for four hours?

Get off the plane

Pick up your luggage

Find a Carnival Rep

Get directed to a bus

Get on the bus

Wait for the bus to be full

Drive to port

Wait for the bus driver to let you off the bus

Point out your luggage to a porter

Go to the terminal building

Clear security

Check in