Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

About 800 feet from southern end of Gamla Stan

Thanks all;

I do not mean to sound dumb but I am trying to fit this into my itinerary. If I take the HOHO boat I get off I Gamla Stan(Old Town) or should I wait for the next stop?

How far a walk in time from the boat disembarkation to the tower?

Sorry but I have such a full schedule and this seems like something cool and different.

Thank you all

Bob

Hey i just saw a post about piano stairs in the odenplan metro station..

any suggestions about it. friend and i think it would be cool to see and play.

Can you help me fit that into my schedule? So far we plan on doing

Vasa

Changing of the guards (if we make it)

Gamla Stan

Nobel Museum

How can I get to Odenplan from these places.pref last, as an extra if we have enough time..

Also i heard the 24 hr card includes all publice transportation and the ferry, just one question, which ferry and how do i find it.

Ill be docking in Frihamnen, so ill take 76 to vasa, walk around island of course, then what??

Id appreciate if u could include how to get from odenplan station back to Frihamnen as well...thanks again for all ur help

Linda

For those of you that are docking in Stadsgarden that happen to check this board today, if you click on the link below for the Star Princess livecam, you get an excellent pic of where they dock in Stockholm. They must have re-oriented the camera, because this is the most I've seen of the city, and I've been checking it for about a month now (you can tell I'm getting excited).

http://www.princess.com/bridgecams/tp/star_bridgecam.html

For those of you that are docking in Stadsgarden that happen to check this board today, if you click on the link below for the Star Princess livecam, you get an excellent pic of where they dock in Stockholm. They must have re-oriented the camera, because this is the most I've seen of the city, and I've been checking it for about a month now (you can tell I'm getting excited).

http://www.princess.com/bridgecams/tp/star_bridgecam.html

The camera shoes the Viking Line terminal and one of their red and white boats. Just keep walking that way and 15-20 minutes later you will be at Slussen and the Old Town.

Al

Bus 76 to Djurgårdsbron (the stop for the Vasa, Skansen etc) takes about 10 minutes or less.

As far as seeing Vasa and Skansen and then getting back to the palace for the COG, well, I don't really think so. Skansen is a big place and involves a lot of walking, and frankly, Skansen deserves better than a brief walk-through, in my opinion.

I would take my time and enjoy the Vasa at a leisurely pace and then get the Ferry or back to Bus 76 to the Old Town.

I do realize that some people like to cram as much as possible in on a cruise, but I hate to rush.

Have a great time,

Al

We just returned from our Baltic Cruise.

Bus 76 is available by following the blue line across the street from where you exit through the building by your ship. You buy your bus ticket for the day there. We were told the ticket is no longer good for the ferry also....no problem for us. We got off the ship immediately...8am or so. Walked the blue line for about 6 city blocks??? and caught the bus easily at the bus stop (a little enclosed glass bus hut)...three busses stop there, take the 76. Ask the driver to let you know when you reach the Vasa Museum....Dju....I think it was the third stop after getting on. Walk across the bridge...follow signs to Vasa. We did the Vasa very quickly...because we were the first people in the museum before all the tour busses arrived. We saw everything and then took the bus (76) to Gamla Stan. We caught the changing of the guard, walked around Gamla Stan and decided to take the bus (76) back to the Vasa stop and went to the Nordic Museum (same area as Vasa). It was my favorite museum....try to enjoy this.. Then bus back to ship. Museum entrance fees were typical, bus fee was cheap and we had a fantastic time. Enjoy.

We have a similar question about going to the Vasa Museum and Skansen Open Air Museum after changing of the guard. We are trying to include the Skansen after a trip to the Vasa Museum, but the timing will get us there at around 4:30pm when most things will be closing. What is the quickest way to get to the Vasa Museum from changing of the guard? We are limited by the timing of the English tour and film at Vasa. Any suggestions?

What is the quickest way to get to the Vasa Museum from changing of the guard? We are limited by the timing of the English tour and film at Vasa. Any suggestions?

Quickest way? Taxi. But from the location of the changing of the guard there is a bus stop near the water for bus 76. Get off at Djurgårdsbron.

Al

Hi -

We are either at the Frihamnen Dock or the Vartahamnen dock - is there much difference getting the #76 bus from either of these two docks?

We arrive at our ship about 2pm and sail out the next day at 4pm, sleeping on the ship in between.

We would like to see:

Vasa Museum

Gamla Stan

Nobel Museum

Changing of the Guard

Royal Palace

City Hall

and perhaps...

Nordic Museum

Canal Cruise

Can you provide info on the order in which we can do these things and what we should skip if we need to do so?

We also do not know if we should buy a Stockholm Card or any transportation cards for the 24 hours we are there.

Thanks!

Hello,

I am docking on a SUNDAY at Frihamnen. Is the info booth at the pier open on Sundays to buy the 24 hour travelcard?

I have been studying the Biljettautomat (ticket machines) and I am wondering if I can simply purchase a Period Biljetter (1dygn) from the machine. or do I have to purchase all seperate Zonbiljetter only?

I know to Press Zone A only, Vuxen, Helt Pris

(we are all adults)

My last question is, if I am forced to only purchase seperate Zonbiljetter, can I choose 5 during the same transaction, or do I have perform 5 seperate credit card transactions for 5 tickets?

Thanks for your help

Hello,

I am docking on a SUNDAY at Frihamnen. Is the info booth at the pier open on Sundays to buy the 24 hour travelcard?

I have been studying the Biljettautomat (ticket machines) and I am wondering if I can simply purchase a Period Biljetter (1dygn) from the machine. or do I have to purchase all seperate Zonbiljetter only?

I know to Press Zone A only, Vuxen, Helt Pris

(we are all adults)

My last question is, if I am forced to only purchase seperate Zonbiljetter, can I choose 5 during the same transaction, or do I have perform 5 seperate credit card transactions for 5 tickets?

Thanks for your help

If a ship is in port at Frihamnen I am pretty sure the counter where they sell the tickets will be open. However, bus 76 does not run on Sunday. :confused:

Al

We may try to go from the changing of the guard to Skansen next, followed by the Vasa museum. What are the transportation options from the palace area after changing of the guard to Skansen? How far a walk is it from Skansen to Vasa? If not so close, are there any public transportation choices from Skansen to Vasa? Thank you.

No Problem,

Already planning to take Bus #1 to Garget Tunnelbana, back and forth from the nearest metro station.

The only PROBLEM is getting the tickets. It would be nice to be able to do everything from a machine, if there is a long line at the Info Desk.

If a ship is in port at Frihamnen I am pretty sure the counter where they sell the tickets will be open. However, bus 76 does not run on Sunday. :confused:

Al

We may try to go from the changing of the guard to Skansen next, followed by the Vasa museum. What are the transportation options from the palace area after changing of the guard to Skansen? How far a walk is it from Skansen to Vasa? If not so close, are there any public transportation choices from Skansen to Vasa? Thank you.

My view is that this walk is not that far from the Palace/Old Town area to the Vasa. There are lots of interesting things to see with the architecture, waterfront, etc., in making that walk that might be 25 minutes, depending on your pacing. In checking Google.com mapping, it appears to be about 7500 feet in distance.

Here are some of my visual samples in that area, plus a picture from the Changing of the Guard, Vasa. You can wait on buses, but as you take the time to stand there, you might be half way to the Vasa. A cab, not cheap in Stockholm, is also an option to consider.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Connected to the main harbor in Stockholm, here is a view from the bridge to the Vasa Museum of the many different buildings along this grand Strandvagen boulevard. Completed in time for the 1897 Stockholm World’s Fair, it became known as one of the most prestigious addresses in town.:

StockhHarborBldg.jpg

From the harbor in Stockholm, here is a view of the Royal Palace, the historic Saint Nicolaus Church, or as commonly known Storkyrkan:

StockhPalaceDocking.jpg

Overlooking the main harbor in Stockholm, here is a view of the Grand Hotel. From its location, you can see the Royal Palace and other great architecture in this historic area. The Grand Hotel was opened in 1874 and host Nobel Prize winner during the ceremony period.:

StockhGrandHotel.jpg

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard involves this large band with their unique helmets:

9-StockholmMil.jpg

At the Vasa Museum with this large salvaged ship from the 1600’s:

1C-Stockh-V.jpg

A group of 5 of us with LOTS of luggage will arrive at the Copenhagen airport form the U.S. on a Sunday morning at 9:30 am. Our ship has reiterated that we cannot board until 2:00 pm for a 5:00 pm departure from Frihavnen (which I presume is the same as Free Port?). On prior trips in such circumstances (e.g., out of Barcelona and Buenos Aires), we have located a local tour guide who could pick us and our bags up at the airport in a van (we would rather not split up in two cabs) and give us an introductory tour of the area of the area and lunch and drop us off at the ship to timely board (we will spend 2 nights in Copenhagen at a Hotel to still be determined at the end of our trip). Does anyone know of someone we could contact in Copenhagen about such a trip? Any alternative suggestions?

We just returned from our Baltic Cruise.

Bus 76 is available by following the blue line across the street from where you exit through the building by your ship. You buy your bus ticket for the day there. We were told the ticket is no longer good for the ferry also.

Egad!:eek: Is this "bus ticket for the day" the same as the 1-day transport pass @ 100 Swedish kroner? We plan to use the ferry three times and assumed from what we have read on this board that the ferry WAS INCLUDED.

Corroboration please.

Paula

TCLOhio, Your photos are great. Thanks for the advice. We will be walking back and wanted a quicker way to get to Skansen. There is a ferry from Slussen that might be quicker- we will look into it.

Egad!:eek: Is this "bus ticket for the day" the same as the 1-day transport pass @ 100 Swedish kroner? We plan to use the ferry three times and assumed from what we have read on this board that the ferry WAS INCLUDED.

Corroboration please.

Paula

Paula,

Yes, we thought it included the ferry also but were told when we purchased our tickets that it was only for the bus. However, the busses ran frequently and we had no problems. Unless you wanted to take the ferry "tour" to all the other areas while staying on the ferry I think the bus was more than acceptable. We had sunny days on the entire cruise but the area is noted for lots of rain and the closure of the bus would be appreciated. Maybe there is another ticket that is for the bus and ferry. I just know that after we got the ticket I questioned the use of it on the ferry and where we would get the ferry? The lady working said it was only for the bus.

TCLOhio, Your photos are great. Thanks for the advice. We will be walking back and wanted a quicker way to get to Skansen. There is a ferry from Slussen that might be quicker- we will look into it.

THANKS for the nice comments on my pictures! Stockholm is a great and fairly compact city among certain of its key attractions. You can do and see lots in just one day there. Below are a few other visual options to consider while in Stockholm. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard:

1A-StHolm-Guards.jpg

In the heart of Stockholm’s historic old city with many outdoor dining places:

1A-Stockholm-OldCityHeart.jpg

The architecture of buildings along Stockholm’s historic waterfront:

1A-Stockholm-WaterfrontBldgs.jpg

In the Vasa, here is more detail on the back of this historic ship.:

1A-Stockholm-VasaShipBack.jpg

Across from the Vasa is the Nordic Museum in Stockholm. This 1907 building looks like a Renaissance castle.:

StockhNordicMus.jpg

Ships and buildings seen on water tour around Stockholm's islands:

1A-StH-WatersideBldgShip.jpg

We arrive at our ship around 2pm and want to explore Stockholm the rest of that day and the next day.

We are thinking of taking Bus 76 from the Vartahamnen pier to the Vasa Museum around 2:30pm - do you think there will be a line even then? It says it is open til 6, so we are hoping to see it that day and perhaps the Nordic Museum nearby.

Then I thought we would take the Ho/Ho boats and get off in Gamla Stan. Perhaps we could have dinner there - if so , how late does bus 76 run to get back to the ship?

The second day, we thought we would take the 76 Bus to Gamla Stan, see the Changing of the Guard and the Nobel Museum, and do Rick Steve's walking tour of Gamla Stan, taking the 76 bus back before the ship sails at 4.

Does this sound do-able? Thanks for any advice!

Milwaukeeee,

Thanks for the advice. I know that there are #76 bus stops at Slussen and near the Royal Palace, so I guess we will just make use of them. Do they run frequently?

We were also interested in your report on the Nordic Museum. It interests us even more than the Vasa Museum. Which parts did you like the best? Will we be disappointed if we cannot give it more than 1 1/2 hrs.?

Our visit will be on September 2, so entry times and film times in the Vasa will vary from your experience. We may have to catch the film and miss the guided tour there, but one cannot do everything one wants to in one day!:( We'll just have to schedule a return visit.;)

Paula

Corroboration please.

Paula

Seems to be some confusion again about this. There is a 24 hour card for 100 crowns that is good for the ferry from Vasa to Slussen, as well as all other SL Public transportation. This card is good for one person only and can't be shared.

The other option are the "cash coupons", a strip costs 180 crowns and can be used by more than one person. These cannot be used on the ferry.

Have fun,

Al

Seems to be some confusion again about this. There is a 24 hour card for 100 crowns that is good for the ferry from Vasa to Slussen, as well as all other SL Public transportation. This card is good for one person only and can't be shared.

The other option are the "cash coupons", a strip costs 180 crowns and can be used by more than one person. These cannot be used on the ferry.

Have fun,

Al

I'm just as confused myself about the bus/ferry ticket. All I can share is that

less than two weeks ago the ticket we purchased for all day travel in Stockholm at the building we had to go through after getting off the ship sold the tickets for 100 sek. We got one bus ticket @ and were told they are no longer available for the ferry and the bus. We only used it for a trip to the Vasa, then tio Gamla Stan, then back to Vasa area for the Nordic Museum and finally back to the ship on the bus. It was fast, easy, comfortable and very convenient. When we got off at the Vasa we crossed a bridge to the Museums (first saw the Nordic and down the road a bit was the Vasa). The bus going to Gamla Stan is the same direction going that we were on coming to the Vasa. Obviously coming back we got on in the oposite direction back to the Nordic then that same direction back to the ship. Follow the blue line, if the blue line intersects, continue forward, the connecting line is when you come back.