Woodwind or ferry on your own?

cos24

We are not too concerned about the drinks and lunch on board Woodwind or snorkle gear or instruction. I'm mainly concerned about drop off location in the water. What advantage is there with going with Woodwind as opposed to getting dropped off by the ferry and snorkeling on your own? If I can save $40 per person and snorkel in the same general area as the customers of Woodwind snorkel, I would be satisfied. Is this possible with a ferry drop off?

What I have found researching is that Woodwind is a guided snorkel from a boat whereas the ferry will drop you off at Klein Bonaire but then the snorkeling is a beach entry and self guided drift snorkel. There is really only 1 area to get in the water from the island (break in the reef) and then out of the water at the beach. If you do not want to walk down the beach to the entry point (1/4-1/2 mile I think someone said?) and then be in the water until you get back to the beach it is probably best to do one of the boat excursions. There are also no facilities on the island (food, water, bathrooms, shade, equipment rental) so if this is an issue the excursion again would probably be a better fit. If you are looking at Woodwind I would contact them now. Our cruise is in January 2018 and they were already completely booked when I contacted them a month ago. We have decided to try the ferry. We do have our own equipment and are experienced snorkelers so are willing to give it a go.

• 4 weeks later...

Woodwind does what is called a "drift snorkel." They put you in the water up-current (usually in the slot between Bonaire and Klein Bonaire) and then you simply drift with the current (which can be strong at times). Since you are moving with the current, it is relatively easy for snorkel novices. The boat will eventually move to a location ahead of the snorkelers..so you simply drift over to the boat :). They often use a 2nd location which is off-shore (not accessible from shore) where there is little current..and some interesting fish. Dee (and sometimes a helper) will be in the water watching everyone..and also pointing out local "attractions" such as a morey eel, crab, sting ray. etc.

Hank