Flights Home from London

RemPuck

I'm sure the question has been asked 1000 times (and I've read many of the threads, too!) but I am hoping someone can offer some more current advice. I'll be arriving in Southampton on 14 September after the eastbound crossing from NY and am looking to fly back to Chicago the same day. There are lots of flights throughout the day and I am looking at one that's at about 12:30. Is this too early? Flights go through the afternoon, up until about 17:00, so there are options. I don't want to rush or worry about missing the flight, but I don't want to hang out at Heathrow, either.

The current crossing that made the emergency medical stop in Halifax is making me recognize the realities of potential arrival delays. (BTW - any update on the arrival time on the 13th?)

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Howard

It looks like you've asked this question in the roll call as well. We're on the same cruise, but we're not flying back to Chicago until the 21st. If it were me I'd book the last flight out, since a) jet lag is much worse for me traveling westbound vs. eastbound and an 8 pm arrival at ORD would put me in bed at my usual time and b) getting onto an earlier flight is always easier than missing your flight and trying to get onto a later one.

Out of curiosity, when are you flying from Chicago to NYC? We are tempting fate and leaving that morning, albeit leaving ORD at 6 am and arriving at LGA at 9 am.

Out of curiosity, when are you flying from Chicago to NYC? We are tempting fate and leaving that morning, albeit leaving ORD at 6 am and arriving at LGA at 9 am.

I am giving myself a day in Brooklyn, arriving mid-day on the 6th.

We are a cruise arriving in October. We are staying a few days before flying home. The car service told me to figure 2 hours travel time to Heathrow. You should checkin for your flight about 2 hours ahead so the question is d you think you'll be off the ship before 8 am? And what if there I traffic tie up causing a delay in arriving at Heathrow. Personally I think you're cutting it too close.

Theoretically you could make a 12.30 flight but the traffic from Southampton to Heathrow is unpredictable at best - could be as little as 1.5 hours but could easily be much more.

You need to allow at least 2.5 hours at Heathrow as security also can be unpredictable. IMO you should not book a flight departing before 3pm.

Have a great trip!

Did this several years ago.

My initial research for flights yielded a relatively high cost. Would have been a deal breaker.

Discussed it with travel agent who found an unpublished crew rate, but (as in your case) stipulated had to be a same day return.

Turned out to be great. No traffic, no wait. Did arrange to be among first to disembark and for a car to meet us at the port and drive us directly to the airport.

Wishing you a Bon Voyage.

Just today we had a car transfer from Heathrow to Southampton, and it was just under two hours. Going Southampton to Heathrow it would certainly be more likely to exceed that time. I would book a later flight, probably the late afternoon flight.

Edited by SPacificbound
correction

I'm sure the question has been asked 1000 times (and I've read many of the threads, too!) but I am hoping someone can offer some more current advice. I'll be arriving in Southampton on 14 September after the eastbound crossing from NY and am looking to fly back to Chicago the same day. There are lots of flights throughout the day and I am looking at one that's at about 12:30. Is this too early? Flights go through the afternoon, up until about 17:00, so there are options. I don't want to rush or worry about missing the flight, but I don't want to hang out at Heathrow, either.

The current crossing that made the emergency medical stop in Halifax is making me recognize the realities of potential arrival delays. (BTW - any update on the arrival time on the 13th?)

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Howard

Remember you need to be at Heathrow around 3 hours before departure. So 12.30 is far too early to get a flight. You can never estimate the time it will take to get to Heathrow from Southampton. I do the journey regularly and you can never predict the traffic. Also I was cabin crew for 39 years. Book a later flight and if you get there early just enjoy a drink or a meal. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and guidance. I wound up booking a flight out of LHR at 15:20. It was wishful thinking on my part to hope to make the 12:30 flight and the 3 extra hours should give me the comfort of not rushing too badly. Thanks again.