Received email of upgrade this morning.........8001 tell me about it.

SPacificbound

This will be our fourth QM2 crossing and I have previously booked deck 8 mid ship with regular balcony, this time I decided to try a lower deck and a sheltered balcony just to see the difference, so I had booked 5103.

This AM I received an upgrade email advising we were upgraded to deck 8 and the cabin is the farthest you can get forward and still be in a regular balcony. Our sweet spot is rear facing afts on other cruise lines, being up front I'm not too sure about.

So, can anyone tell me about 8001?

We has 8003 for our last cruise. Very convenient to the Library, 'A' staircase & elevators, Scenic elevators, spa and the Commodore Club

There was no heavy weather on our sailing, so I cannot comment about the ride.

Oh yes - there was a quickly resolved plumbing issue with a non-sucking toilet one night. This was back in 2010.

10005 was fine for me on a pretty rough Transatlantic in January. But, we all respond differently to rough seas so if in doubt ask if they have any alternatives nearer midships.

This will be our fourth QM2 crossing and I have previously booked deck 8 mid ship with regular balcony, this time I decided to try a lower deck and a sheltered balcony just to see the difference, so I had booked 5103.

This AM I received an upgrade email advising we were upgraded to deck 8 and the cabin is the farthest you can get forward and still be in a regular balcony. Our sweet spot is rear facing afts on other cruise lines, being up front I'm not too sure about.

So, can anyone tell me about 8001?

We were in this cabin in 2015 from Cape Town to Southampton a trip with more sea days than an Atlantic Crossing. Like 8003 it is very convenient to the Library, 'A' staircase & elevators, Scenic elevators, spa, the Commodore Club and obviously the newly upgraded areas on deck 7 and the open decks. It has a regular glass balcony and is the same as other Britannia cabins on Deck 8. There is no forward view because of the bulkhead under the bridge and the scenic elevator but that does provide some shelter from strong headwinds. We did not find this a particular drawback. In 18 days we did not find movement a problem in Atlantic swells and the Bay of Biscay even in the Force 7 winds encountered at one point. Because of the bulkhead on starboard heading north meant we only got sun in the morning from an hour or so after dawn. On a westbound course I don't imagine you will get any sun but eastbound should be ok for a lot of the day. I would still prefer it to an in hull cabin but that is just our personal preference.