Taking a child who is not related on a cruise

happygo

Our son's best friend will be cruising with us for spring break. I've been doing some research to see exactly what we need to legally take him and so far all I've come up with is a notarized letter. That is obviously not a problem but is there anything else? I would strongly prefer he have a passport as we do but his parents are living pretty frugally as is and I've hesitated insisting. We are already paying for a portion of his cruise (taxes, gratuity, excursions) so I'm not thrilled about paying for that too as we are also recently facing some financial challenges due to my husband's job loss. Would appreciate any insight anyone has!

You will need the NCL form which you can get on line. Does not need to be notarized,though we did have ours done. Also copies of parents drivers licenses or other picture ID if they do not have the one. Rene rly took our 6 yo GD and was worried we'd forgotten something and would be turned at way at the pier😀 Was very easy

You might want to be sure that the notarized letter etc gives you authority to get medical care for the boy

I would think that since he is traveling without a pp that YOU should get travel insurance for your family

My research tells me that you can't add this boy to your policy as he doesn't live under your roof BUT should anything happen to him and you need to stay behind with him at least you will have your hotel and transportation bills covered

He is your travel companion. I would also ask a human before buying the policy as well what is exactly covered should this situation arise or if he can be added to your policy

The parents of the boy may want to buy him a policy as well but that's unlikely considering their frugal situation. Personally as a parent I would not send my child out of the country without a pp regardless of closed loop cruise

While I admit it's highly unlikely....I can't imagine how difficult things could get if your sons friend should say break a limb that requires surgery to set...requires a hospital stay ....doesn't have a pp...doesn't have travel insurance !!!

Oh and is a minor in your care!

Also I too would like to know this boys age and why you are paying anything at all for him...yes his parents are living frugally and yes I know you want your son to have a friend...but when you said your dh lost his job it upsets me that this family is letting you pay anything at all

My real concern is how much it could cost you if this kid has any accidents/medical issues while in your care

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

We cruised on 2 separate occasions with a underaged friend.

1st time - they did not ask for anything

( good thing as I wasn't prepared )

2nd time - they asked and scrutinized

every document we had.

NCL Parent/Guardian Consent Form

Passport ( not USA citizen )

Copies of Parents Driver License with signatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums