Snorkeling in shallow areas on HMC, Nassau, Grand Turk?

AMbliss

My two older kids (12 and 11) would like to try snorkeling for the first time, and while they're great pool swimmers I'm a little worried about an open ocean. Of course they'll have life vests on... but are there good snorkeling areas on HMC, Nassau or Grand Turk that would be in more shallow water but still things to see?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I can't think of any places that have "good" shore snorkeling in these areas. You will see the occasional fish but no coral. You need Reef areas to get that. Grand Turk is perched on a reef shelf which is good snorkeling not far from shore - but it does require a boat. There is "the wall" right near shore - a 4,000' drop that is amazing to see.

What is the order of your ports? A good swimmer can pick up snorkeling easily. I would suggest you get some inexpensive masks and snorkels - many are now recommending the one piece set ups though I have not tried them. If you are in Nassau and HMC first, simply practice there. Then I would look on the port of call board and set up a private snorkel in Grand Turk - you will bet more personal attention and be able to stay away from the hordes that flock the cruise ship tours.

If you can swim in 6' of water you can swim in 4,000' and my youngest was 10-11 when he embraced that. That age was the turning point for him to master the skill. Like your kids he was a good pool swimmer already.

Don't worry about being in "the open ocean;" all the areas you would go to would be calm waters.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My two older kids (12 and 11) would like to try snorkeling for the first time, and while they're great pool swimmers I'm a little worried about an open ocean. Of course they'll have life vests on... but are there good snorkeling areas on HMC, Nassau or Grand Turk that would be in more shallow water but still things to see?

When I was in Grand Turk, I got in the water and just stood there for about a half an hour and several fish were visible around me without snorkel gear. Some people were snorkeling there...not quality, high volume snorkeling but snorkeling nonetheless.:D

If you can swim in 6' of water you can swim in 4,000' and my youngest was 10-11 when he embraced that.

I totally agree !! My youngest was 9 years old when we snorkeled at the Great Barrier Reef (and no life vests either).

You do have to take a boat out at all of these places for any decent snorkeling because you won't see much without a good, healthy reef. I'd probably choose to do the excursion in Nassau simply because it's a pretty boring port otherwise. However, HMC and Grand Turk are great places for swimming in the ocean and playing on the beach. And if they have snorkel gear, the kids can swim offshore in both places and see a few fish.

Super fun and easy shallow snorkeling in Grand Turk at Bohio - it's a taxi ride (group taxi, about $8 p/p) and a sweet beach, with beautiful aqua water, and zero waves. I'm not a strong swimmer and thoroughly enjoyed it there. Bring water/coral shoes. We didn't have the problem, but there is a lot of shallow coral, and urchins, and I've read others complain about it.

I should have also noted that if you do find a place to snorkel, please read up on the do's and don'ts of proper reef and sea life management. The first golden rule is touch nothing (especially with fins) and take nothing.

While the snorkeling near the pier at Grand Turk isn't great, I noticed it has gotten much better within the last few years if you go out further from the beach. There's been some new coral growth, particularly near the drop-off to 40 feet (the "pocket" where the dredge is), and much more fish-life than, say, three years ago. Also, along the outer safety line in about 15 ft. of water you'll find two sunken anchors and a sunken cannon.

Oddly enough, when we went to the other side of the pier (i.e., away from Margaritaville), we saw almost no fish at all.

I'd suggest investing in a couple of snorkeling vests (as differentiated from life vests) so your kids have the option of swimming down to look at stuff if they want to, but can inflate them for surface snorkeling and resting. I got mine on eBay for $15 or $20.

:) The above summary of shore snorkeling at Grand Turk is accurate. Just use caution going in and out of the water. Surprising drop off near the beach - and the best fish watching is at the "trench" dredged out for the ships.

At Nassau, you can take on of the ships excursions to snorkel, but I would recommend you do something else. Stay on the boat.

At half moon, it is a very calm wide expanse of sand so no open ocean worries. But it is just sand....I walked the 2 miles around the bay to the far tip where there is a little coral and a few fish. Not worth the long walk.

I should have also noted that if you do find a place to snorkel, please read up on the do's and don'ts of proper reef and sea life management. The first golden rule is touch nothing (especially with fins) and take nothing.

Thank you for mentioning this, I'll do some research!

While the snorkeling near the pier at Grand Turk isn't great, I noticed it has gotten much better within the last few years if you go out further from the beach. There's been some new coral growth, particularly near the drop-off to 40 feet (the "pocket" where the dredge is), and much more fish-life than, say, three years ago. Also, along the outer safety line in about 15 ft. of water you'll find two sunken anchors and a sunken cannon.

Oddly enough, when we went to the other side of the pier (i.e., away from Margaritaville), we saw almost no fish at all.

I'd suggest investing in a couple of snorkeling vests (as differentiated from life vests) so your kids have the option of swimming down to look at stuff if they want to, but can inflate them for surface snorkeling and resting. I got mine on eBay for $15 or $20.

Good tip, didn't know there was such a thing!

HMC, particularly, is the perfect place to learn how to snorkel! It's where I learned to snorkel. And now I'm hooked! The water is very calm and very clear, so it's kind of like swimming in a gigantic pool. And there are fish to be seen. I even saw a small stingray! Grand Turk should be pretty easy too, though the water is not quite as clear or calm.

Once they have mastered snorkeling, I would suggest maybe planning a trip to St Thomas, and take a cab to Coki beach. There's an amazing snorkeling spot on the right side with lots of coral and fish, and it's right near the shore. It's perfect for beginners.

Good luck, and enjoy your trip!

[snorkeling vests]

Good tip, didn't know there was such a thing!

Yes, they are usually yellow in color, and you can inflate or deflate them as needed. They're actually required for snorkeling at CocoCay, Royal's private island, in fact. (The snorkeling area there is a long swim from shore and deep...but well worth the effort. I've never seen so many fish in one area.)

HMC, particularly, is the perfect place to learn how to snorkel! It's where I learned to snorkel. And now I'm hooked! The water is very calm and very clear, so it's kind of like swimming in a gigantic pool. And there are fish to be seen. I even saw a small stingray! Grand Turk should be pretty easy too, though the water is not quite as clear or calm.

Once you get away from the beach and the sand cloudiness, the water at GT is pretty clear. We were able to see a concrete block at least 30 feet down (maybe 40) out by the safety rope, and of course the challenge was to swim down and touch it. We did it. :halo:

It's also pretty calm water...usually. On one trip there was a hurricane receding into the Atlantic stirring up waves and some wind -- we barely made port at Grand Turk that day -- and the waves were 1-2 ft even there by Margaritaville. Every water-based excursion was cancelled that day, but we still snorkeled by the beach. Dry-top snorkels really proved their worth that day!

Once they have mastered snorkeling, I would suggest maybe planning a trip to St Thomas, and take a cab to Coki beach. There's an amazing snorkeling spot on the right side with lots of coral and fish, and it's right near the shore. It's perfect for beginners.

Yes, that would be near where the snuba and helmet-dive excursions are done, at Coral World; it's just to the right of Coki Beach. When I did the snuba excursion through Carnival, we were able to go snorkeling at Coki Beach afterward for about 90 minutes, and the ride to and from there was included in the price. It also included free admission to Coral World, so it was a great deal for an excursion.