Qatar Air in Feb. 2018?

Bowie MeMe

I know of the Arab blockade. I understand that the situation is political and the USA is on the side of the countries doing the blockade. I also know we have a major airbase (USA) in Qatar. I have not seen much comment on the airline. I need to go from Cape Town, South Africa to Washington, DC. after a cruise (really one way trip but will probably book multicity). Here are some of my options. Please comment on what you would do -- especially if you have experienced one of the options.

1. Emirates airline CPT (Cape Town) to DXB (Dubai) to JFK/BOS/IAD (for DC suburbs) $599 ( negative -were here last year for 2 full weeks before and after cruise so just did most of the UAE stuff).

2. Qatar airline CPT to Doha to IAD or JFK. $667 (negative Arab block) (+ new country for us)

3. British Airlines CPT to VFA (Victoria Falls -- added 4 day post cruise bucket list ) VFA to JNB (Johanasburg) JNB to LHR (London Heathrow) to BWI Baltimore $1,102 (+ shortest length, nearest to home, Victoria Falls)

(-adds time to a very long trip. Going to Victoria Falls is $300 cheaper airfare than from Cape Town and $800 cheaper than London to Baltimore one way) I really don't like Heathrow.

4. Emirates and Qatar flights with BA flights on separate ticket for under $500.

1. Emirates airline CPT (Cape Town) to DXB (Dubai) to JFK/BOS/IAD (for DC suburbs) $599 ( negative -were here last year for 2 full weeks before and after cruise so just did most of the UAE stuff).

Nothing in making a connection at DXB means you have to stay there and do the "UAE stuff". Just change planes at the airport. Or am I missing something?

2. Qatar airline CPT to Doha to IAD or JFK. $667 (negative Arab block) (+ new country for us)

They are still flying, though using a circuitous routing over Iran. Would it really be a "new country" if you are only changing planes?

3. British Airlines CPT to VFA (Victoria Falls -- added 4 day post cruise bucket list ) VFA to JNB (Johanasburg) JNB to LHR (London Heathrow) to BWI Baltimore $1,102 (+ shortest length, nearest to home, Victoria Falls)

(-adds time to a very long trip. Going to Victoria Falls is $300 cheaper airfare than from Cape Town and $800 cheaper than London to Baltimore one way) I really don't like Heathrow.

Aha...are you now telling us that this is not just to get home, but that you want to visit somewhere else along the way? If so, that's a much different question - you are not just asking about flights and costs, but what cities are appropriate for a stopover. Also, recognize that putting in stopovers (as opposed to connections, which are two different things) usually breaks the price into two separate fare calculations added together, rather than one through fare.

4. Emirates and Qatar flights with BA flights on separate ticket for under $500.

The usual warnings that two separate tickets give you no protection if the first flight is delayed. You are considered a no-show. Plus, you will often have to claim baggage and re-check, meaning you have to go through customs and immigration to get into the country of your switch, then do exit procedures, all while schlepping bags and waiting in lines.

So, what do you really want?

Given those are coach prices I'd go with the quickest overall elapsed time, in fact I'd probably just fly up to JNB and take South African's nonstop to JFK. Get the pain out of the way asap. On ITA I can also see a cheap ($551) one-way fare from CPT to IAD on Turkish with a short-ish connection in Istanbul.

Seeing on another thread that this will be in February, frankly I'd skip Victoria Falls. In addition to being sweltering and buggy, in the summer the spray/mist from the falls can often obscure them completely. As for whether to fly into VFA or LVI, pick 'em. I was on the Zim side of the falls a few years ago (in August) and frankly found the whole experience quite depressing (economic/political situation in Zimbabwe especially.) It's your trip, but I'd be far more inclined to use the extra days in the Western Cape - Garden Route, West Coast National Park, etc.