Let's Enforce the Rules! ?

cactuslady

Let's Enforce the Rules! ?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Let's Enforce the Rules! ?

• HAL should hire those transit police and use both them and the brig!
    • HAL should show civility and restraint, and so should the passengers.
    • HAL should back off from their heavy-handed "suggestions" and let everyone do their own thing.
    • Hahahahahaha.

This just off the news on Yahoo! -- from Washington D.C:

WASHINGTON - A government scientist finishing a candy bar on her way into a subway station where eating is prohibited was arrested, handcuffed and detained for three hours by transit police.

Of course, nobody is advocating a ban on eating on a cruise ship, but with respect to other issues (and we all know what those are), what's the consensus?

The following is from a letter from a HAL employee in Seattle

“I know we would like to see everyone dress for dinner but I strongly suspect that staff has stopped enforcing all but the most egregious violations as it seems a good percentage of the public does not think they have any obligation to do anything except what pleases themselves.
As HAL "is into the middle of a record year,” the chances of anything changing is slight.

It seems to me that rules, regulations and policies are established in response to a perceived need. If that need exists, then it behooves the line to enforce those rules consistently throughout a voyage and upon each ship within its fleet. If the need no longer exists or a line is unwilling to enforce their code consistently, then the rules, etc. should be abolished. To do otherwise simply leads to confusion as is so often evidenced on these boards.

Dave

The first 'rule' that popped into my mind was reserving poolside deck chairs... those guests who show up at some very early hour, scatter a few things on a few poolside deck chairs, and then show back up after lunch to claim "their" chairs. In this day and age of roadrage, I'd hate to see what "chair-rage" would be if you upset a passenger by taking their chair after a few hours of them not being there... That would be a good one for HAL (or any cruiseline) to enforce.

Mandy,

I disagree. I go out first thing in the morning and lay out on a chair without a towel. Once my first drop of sweat hits that chair I figure it's mine for the entire cruise. If anyone doubts that's my sweat on the chair I just tell them to take a DNA sample.:D

It's my vacation, I'll do what I want.;)

Oh dear, oh dear! I don't really know Orcrone, but I suspect from the civil and humorous tone of previous e-mails that the statement "It's my vacation and I'll do what I want" is at least partly tongue-in-cheek. Because I'm sure most of you know that that kind of attitude is what causes problems.

Can we ever take a vacation from civility and manners? Obviously some do.

I'll do what I want: sleep as late as I like, play bingo or not as I like, read or play Trivial Pursuit as I like...none of those affect others, except maybe my early rising DH, who can go walk on the Promenade.

I'll do what I want as long as it doesn't offend other folks' rights to do as they like: dress for dinner, save deck or theater chairs, hold doors open for other folks, not push into the Lido line, etc. I'll have a better vacation and so will my companions.

Is there a polite way to handle a sea of deck chairs with one item on each chair? What do others on this thread do?

How about an invisible ink sticker, so that when the chair hog finally returns and sits down, the invisible ink becomes visible on the back of his/her thighs with the words "Chair Hog" in indelible purple?

...none of those affect others,

I'll do what I want as long as it doesn't offend other folks' rights to do as they like: dress for dinner, save deck or theater chairs, hold doors open for other folks, not push into the Lido line, etc. I'll have a better vacation and so will my companions.

Is there a polite way to handle a sea of deck chairs with one item on each chair? What do others on this thread do?

How about an invisible ink sticker, so that when the chair hog finally returns and sits down, the invisible ink becomes visible on the back of his/her thighs with the words "Chair Hog" in indelible purple?

You put it much better than me. As long as it doesn't affect others, no problem. But when the only deck chairs available are those that are 'saved' and there is nowhere else to sit outside in the vicinity of the pool (not right next to it - just general vicinity)... that's when it can be bothersome. I'm such a non-confrontational type of person I just walk on by and would never have the guts to do/say anything. I do like the invisible purple ink idea though!!

But, that would be like someone draping a towel over a tradmill so they can get it whenever they want. Not that I ever see that when I am there at 6AM (gotta keep the cardiologist happy), but I have seen deck chairs 'saved' already after leaving the fitness center around 7AM - not to mention a couple hours later after showering and having breakfast. I tend to avoid the afternoon sun anyway, but have definitely had problems when trying to locate a deckchair prior to lunch!

I guess it just boils down to a matter of basic respect for others around you. Deckchairs are probably the only issue I have really ever seen that need some sort of enforcing. I've seen jeans in the dining room on formal night (didn't affect me), teens not observing unspoken general quiet hours (is yelling in your cabin at 2AM reasonable?), and people not realizing that lines are created for you to stand at the end (and not cut) - but deckchairs seems to be the common gripe on any cruiseline. Demand exceeds supply.

Oh dear, oh dear! I don't really know Orcrone, but I suspect from the civil and humorous tone of previous e-mails that the statement "It's my vacation and I'll do what I want" is at least partly tongue-in-cheek.
CrabbyHarper, yes it was totally tongue in cheek. To begin with I wouldn't sit on a chair without a towel. I doubt that the next person is going to want my sweat all over the chair (and if they do, they have some serious problems).

My last cruise was with Carnival during spring breaks. Many more people than chairs and hence totally full of chair hogs. If I were going over to the Lido for 15 minutes I wouldn't give up the chair, but there's no way I would leave for hours.

What to do about chair hogs? Beats me. But from what I've read on these boards it seems that it won't be a problem on HAL.

I guess it just boils down to a matter of basic respect for others around you. Deckchairs are probably the only issue I have really ever seen that need some sort of enforcing. I've seen jeans in the dining room on formal night (didn't affect me), teens not observing unspoken general quiet hours (is yelling in your cabin at 2AM reasonable?), and people not realizing that lines are created for you to stand at the end (and not cut) - but deckchairs seems to be the common gripe on any cruiseline. Demand exceeds supply.

• Dress code violations? I note them, and just shrug and say: "Oh, well ... I'll have another gin, please."

• Loud, shouting kids (teens) at 2 AM -- next door or down the hall or both? In my opinion, that's an occasion for breaking another rule: HAL's "Nothing overboard policy." ;) :D

• People cutting into line? I've seen, and participated, in passengers dealing with that kind of rudeness. :)

• Saving deck chairs? I have no interest in turning my skin into leather. However, I agree that it's rude and uncivil and should not be tollerated. And, I wouldn't wait for the line to enforce it that rule.

What to do about chair hogs? Beats me.

I don't really think that beating you will solve that problem. ;) Unless, of course, you're hogging those chairs. Then, that might be an option! :D

I don't really think that beating you will solve that problem. ;) Unless, of course, you're hogging those chairs. Then, that might be an option! :D
Not if HAL's beefed up security is present.:D

Or perhaps, as someone who grew up in New York I should just say, "Oh yeah!!!":D

Many more people than chairs and hence totally full of chair hogs. If I were going over to the Lido for 15 minutes I wouldn't give up the chair, but there's no way I would leave for hours.

What to do about chair hogs?

Well now see? That's the hard part, identifying a chair hog.

Now, I don't even use deck chairs by the pool. And if i did, I would select a "vacant" one over a "toweled" one.

But for the sake of argument (which is always a great sake IMHO :) ) if someone sees a deck chair with a towel on it, how are they supposed to know that you just you went to the Lido for 15 minutes, vs. the one next to you where someone came by 4 hours ago and hasn't been back since?

So when you say, "I wouldn't give up the chair" - whaddya mean? You're going to ask them to move? :eek: Well how fair is that?

When you vacate a deck chair, even with a towel on it, you still vacated a deck chair. The sooner you come back, the better the chance that "your" chair is still available, Maybe if you leave a sticky note with your departure and return time, you'd give the chair-hunters a clue, and most would probably pick another chair, avoiding a problem you set up.

I was once "asked" to vacate a front-row center seat in the Queen's Lounge by a couple who showed up saying they were sitting there and had just gone to speak to some friends! I politely explained that I understood their disappointment, but that the seats were vacant when I arrived. this did no good. So, rather than have a confrontation with this fellow and his wife (I was traveling alone), I moved to a different seat. See, they forced an undesirable choice on me by vacating the seat, probably to go to the Lido for 15 minutes. ;) I could either make a scene, or move.

I'm beginning to like this sticky note idea. (Note to self: get pre-printed sticky notes with these words: "A favor, please? I had to vacate this seat for a short time at _______ (time) and will be back by ________. If another seat is available, may I ask you you to select a different seat? Thank you so much!" Oh yeah: add skull and crossbones graphic to sticky note. :D

Just wanted to present a different point of view. OK, "Flames Awayyy!" :o

Oh, BTW, orcrone, I totally enjoy your posts, usually hilarious, like on the the Blender thread! OMG!

Roboat, I kinda like your idea!!!:) There's a restaurant here in So. Florida called "Sweet Tomatoes". You get your salad, find a seat and then go to a little buffet where they have soups, breads, drinks, pizza, dessers and so forth. So you get up a number of times during your meal (well, some of us do;) ).

Anyway! Point is, they have 2 little pre-printed cards on the table -- one says "be right back" and one says "We're done! You can clean up this table now". So I think a nice preprinted card like that might be just the ticket!. Only the "Be Right Back" card would be needed and it would be really good if there was a space for the time. No card means you're gone!!!

Well now see? That's the hard part, identifying a chair hog.

Now, I don't even use deck chairs by the pool. And if i did, I would select a "vacant" one over a "toweled" one.

But for the sake of argument (which is always a great sake IMHO :) ) if someone sees a deck chair with a towel on it, how are they supposed to know that you just you went to the Lido for 15 minutes, vs. the one next to you where someone came by 4 hours ago and hasn't been back since?

So when you say, "I wouldn't give up the chair" - whaddya mean? You're going to ask them to move? :eek: Well how fair is that?

When you vacate a deck chair, even with a towel on it, you still vacated a deck chair. The sooner you come back, the better the chance that "your" chair is still available, Maybe if you leave a sticky note with your departure and return time, you'd give the chair-hunters a clue, and most would probably pick another chair, avoiding a problem you set up.

I was once "asked" to vacate a front-row center seat in the Queen's Lounge by a couple who showed up saying they were sitting there and had just gone to speak to some friends! I politely explained that I understood their disappointment, but that the seats were vacant when I arrived. this did no good. So, rather than have a confrontation with this fellow and his wife (I was traveling alone), I moved to a different seat. See, they forced an undesirable choice on me by vacating the seat, probably to go to the Lido for 15 minutes. ;) I could either make a scene, or move.

I'm beginning to like this sticky note idea. (Note to self: get pre-printed sticky notes with these words: "A favor, please? I had to vacate this seat for a short time at _______ (time) and will be back by ________. If another seat is available, may I ask you you to select a different seat? Thank you so much!" Oh yeah: add skull and crossbones graphic to sticky note. :D

Just wanted to present a different point of view. OK, "Flames Awayyy!" :o

Oh, BTW, orcrone, I totally enjoy your posts, usually hilarious, like on the the Blender thread! OMG!

btw-

Curiously - if someone gets up from a deck chair to use the restroom or grab a drink - leave their stuff (book, cover-up, sun-screen, flipflops, etc.) why would you assume the chair is empty? People should be able to leave for a few minutes without someone grabbing the chair. What if you are in the pool? They take your towel and throw it in the used towel bin? Move your personal stuff? Not cool, sorry.

By the same token - don't hog a chair you plan on using minimally if ever - this is so rude. We've seen families drag deck chairs into the shaded areas and throw their junk on them just so others wouldn't be able to use them - when confronted they said their friends were on the way... hours later chairs were still left unused. This is why I prefer the utilizing the Aft pool - we've found there are not as many chair hogs in the Aft area -

What I have done, I'll walk thru a few times and if the chair I want is unoccupied, I move the stuff. I've never had anyone say anything to me. Once, I noticed two chairs in a good spot with towels thrown across them. I looked around for about 20 minutes and no one showed up so I moved them. About 2 hours later an elderly man comes and picks up his stuff mumbling to his wife about his "stuff" being moved. Too bad. If he'd wanted to sit there, he should have been there. I figure if two people are together, they're not going to the bathroom together and one of them should stay with the chairs. It doesnt' bother me at all to move things. No, they weren't in the pool because there was no one in the pool. I have no sympathy for them

It is a simple matter of measuring the temperature of the chair, comparing it to the average temperature of the human body vs. the temperature it would be if no one were sitting in it. Of course you would have to take into account the angle of incidence of the sun in heating it up. Once you know the temperature it is an easy task to extrapolate how long it has been empty based on the temperature.

If that doesn't work I ask DW who has been sitting in the next seat for several hours.

Sorry Roboat, I didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean I would kick them out of my seat. I was referring to what I would do upon leaving the seat, rather than returning to the seat. My point is that I wouldn't have a problem leaving a book there while I go to the restroom, or grabbing a quick drink. But I wouldn't leave my book there to reserve a chair if I were leaving for a couple of hours.

I like that idea. Perhaps add a note stating "if I'm not back within 15 minutes of this time, then the chair is up for grabs (please save my book for me)."

I'm glad you appreciate my warped sense of humor.:D

Archived