Room 6001

balboa

We have just been assigned Room 6001 for the Panama Canal cruise. Has anyone stayed or been in this room before and could share any insights. I understand the deck is larger, but am concerned of too much wind to enjoy our balcony. One of the things we enjoy most is sitting on our balcony and watching for sea life, etc. Will we miss not being able to see straight down to the ocean? On the other hand, I can't think of a better room to go through the canal. We took this trip 2 years ago and had room 6008 so we are familiar with being forward and the extra "movement". Thanks...

We had this room for 25 days on a back-to-back, Athens to Barcelona and Barcelona to Miami, last fall. The room was delightful, except when the ocean was rough. Constant loud banging noises and enhanced motion was enough to make me say "Never again". We enjoyed the balcony, although it was often too windy to use while cruising. Although I wouldn't book the room again, I'm glad we had the experience to enjoy the great views offered by the location in the front of the ship.

Well said.

We have done 4 cruises in a VS when we could not book an OS but NEVER AGAIN! We have experienced 2 nights of very rough sea conditions which were awful and the wind in the front made the balcony unusable much of the time which we have never experienced in the back. The views are wonderful when standing in the front but not worth the pain.:(

We have just been assigned Room 6001 for the Panama Canal cruise. Has anyone stayed or been in this room before and could share any insights. I understand the deck is larger, but am concerned of too much wind to enjoy our balcony. One of the things we enjoy most is sitting on our balcony and watching for sea life, etc. Will we miss not being able to see straight down to the ocean? On the other hand, I can't think of a better room to go through the canal. We took this trip 2 years ago and had room 6008 so we are familiar with being forward and the extra "movement". Thanks...

If we were to go through the Canal (part of my 'bucket list'), I'd want to be up front. Much of the 'sea life' you'll see will be the crew working the winches, etc. which can be fascinating anyway. We recently signed up for another T/A because we could get a Vista Suite. We enjoyed the sensations we experienced there before. You either like it or not. We did.

As for the wind, it depends on which way it's blowing and how fast the ship is traveling. You have some shelter from the wind if you're not standing. Enjoy.

We did 2 cruises in 6001 and loved both. The only problem was a rough sea crossing the English Channel. We did not book 6001 for So. America or Australia-NZ because of rough sea concerns. I would definitely book the room again for the Panama Canal. ddcruiser

We were in 6001 for the Scandinavian Splendors in August and thoroughly loved being there. I selected the cabin intentionally and DW thought I was a bit nuts, but loved it as well. We could watch the ship entering port in the morning without having to leave our cabin, and there is never a question of which side has a better view -- you get them all.

At night at sea, you would want to put on a sweatshirt to sit out there, but it was still enjoyable, and that was in the Baltic even. The metal facade that goes up about shoulder high if you are sitting down, makes it better when the ship is moving. Besides, the weather is lots warmer at the Panama Canal.

The Baltic was not very rough, and we noticed the ship's motion only a couple of nights, and there was not enough motion to bother anyone -- I am a sailor, so the motion would not have bothered me anyhow, but DW is more conscious of it, and it was not a problem.

On other threads, they have asked about the sound from the Regatta Lounge, and it was very minimal, and they stop doing anything in the Lounge around 10 anyhow. Even when there was something going on, the sound was very, very minimal.

On the other hand, you will hear the thrusters and mooring line winches when going into and out of port. We liked the idea as it was a good alarm clock -- telling us to get up as we would be in port soon. Then too, you can step out on your deck and watch the action.

I did get a red night light, as the bridge is likely to complain if you open your heavy curtains at night with your lights on. So, if I was going out on the verandah at night, I would turn off the white cabin lights and turn on the red light bulb. You can get a simple socket at Home Depot, etc., and I ordered an 11w red bulb from Top Bulb on the Internet.

Archived