Balcony & glass elevator?

dreamofcruising

How bad is it to be in this room...SB6093. Am considering upgrading from a reg. balcony room because we have 2 children, but then saw the elevator being by the balcony. Is it like having gawking people all the time Do the elevators run up and down all day? I mean so much that you really don't enjoy the balcony? Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

We had the cabin next to elevator last year on the Zuiderdam and are booked in one next year on the Noordam. Never bothered us a bit! No noise whatsoever. We were seldom out there at night and during the day you don't even realize it's going by. We aren't out there doing anything we wouldn't be doing in a deck chair so, if I see anyone, I'll just give them my best "Miss America" wave.

I agree that the elevator is not a big issue. We were in a verandah suite next to the glass elevator on the Westerdam and it was not a problem. Only once did I notice someone in the elevator and we smiled and waved to each other, and that was when I was standing at the railing. Otherwise I wasn't paying attention the elevator, just thinking about how wonderful it was to be on a cruise. The verandah suite was much more comfortable for DH, our son and I. -g.

Everytime we rode the elevators we were able to see the balconies right next to them - and everything on them. They aren't private.

The elevators do run all day and all night.

Of course they do run all day and all night but you can't hear them and when you are in your suite you can't see them and can't be seen from them. When we first were offered our cabin on the Westerdam I was a little concerned about being next to the glass elevator but having spent ten days of a wonderful Baltic cruise in that cabin I would not be concerned to book it again. -g.

We had the balcony near the elevator on the Westerdam in 04. There was never any noise from the elevator lobby but 2/3 of the balcony and one corner of the couch area INSIDE THE SUITE were in view of anyone riding the glass elevator. This was a Norway cruise - cool and rainy weather so we spent little time on the balcony. If this were a warm climate cruise with pax that loved to sun worship on their balcony, this configuration would be a poor choice.

Kay, Las Vegas

I didnt even think about this issue and got worried and checked my room...

we are in 7066 on the Westerdam, right next to the elevators. :(

We like our privacy and are now worried about our choice.

I do like to stay on the verandah a lot and think that i would get annoyed with people gawking.

I say that because i would be one of those people :D

OP, thanks for this thread! another thing i didnt even think about!

On the October 8th sailing of The Oosterdam, we had a suite by the glass elevators.

There is no noise, and the elevator zips up and down so fast, one barely notices it.

We enjoyed our balcony and soon got past any worries about others seeing us enjoy it.

• 2 months later...

Thanks to all who replied.

Was not worried about privacy on the balcony, we were wondering if anyone heard noise from the elevator going up and down.

We are now comfortable with our decision.

We are going on the Oosterdam, has anyone had one of these suites on this ship?

Thanks!

Archived