Cozumel - Allure of The Seas Royal Caribbean Employee dies

Saw on multiple news sites tonight, that a Royal Caribbean employee was found dead Friday in Cozumel after she did not return back to the Allure of The Seas ship where she worked as a musician. It reports she had drowned and also had a blow to her head, due possibly to a violent crime.

Here is another article:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/06/ap/business/main7324819.shtml

Cozumel is a lot safer that some places in the states. Really rude statement even if it is your opinion.:rolleyes:

I'm not an American so I don't live in the states. Nevertheless, I stand by what I said. I think Mexico is the most dangerous place in North America and I have no idea why people are willing to tolerate the constant threat by going anywhere there.

Nothing rude about that.

I'm not an American so I don't live in the states. Nevertheless, I stand by what I said. I think Mexico is the most dangerous place in North America and I have no idea why people are willing to tolerate the constant threat by going anywhere there.

Nothing rude about that.

Constant threat? Seriously? How much crime to you really hear about out of places like Cozumel? Obviously, something happened here, but no place is totally immune from such issues. But you show a total lack of understanding, if you think Mexico, as a whole, is the most dangerous place in North America. There is a lot of drug-related violence in some of the towns that border the US, but places like Cozumel are not bad at all.

So, perhaps not rude, but a bit uninformed.

Cozumel is a lot safer that some places in the states. Really rude statement even if it is your opinion.:rolleyes:

A family friend just returned from Cancun after attending a wedding. He asked a taxi driver if the crime is as bad as we hear reported and he said it is worse than what we hear. I guess since we don't live there we don't really know. I would hesitate to venture too far even in Cozumel( and also some areas of Chicago:cool:).It is a real shame too, it is such a beautiful country and tourism is suffering)

"Linnees" should be able to state her opinion without being labeled. Mexico is dangerous! Why do you think that parts of Haiti have been fenced off?

We should all be careful everywhere one goes. Stay with organized groups.

Good point. Why label one person's opinion, when we can label an entire country!

Actually, until you've been HELD UP by the police in a "safe" area of a country you have no knowledge. So, you see the difference is - having been robbed by a couple of cops in a safe area makes my opinion quite valid.

Actually, until you've been HELD UP by the police in a "safe" area of a country you have no knowledge. So, you see the difference is - having been robbed by a couple of cops in a safe area makes my opinion quite valid.

Well...not really. It makes it understandable, but not necessarily valid. But if you were robbed by cops in Cozumel, I could certainly understand your feelings.

This is a extremely sad event and yes crime happens anywhere. That is why when one travels to a foreign land, probably even England, you need to be aware of your surroundings and not venture off into the jungle alone.

As a employee, I'm sure she was aware of the dangers and what to look for. Who knows, it may have been her boyfriend from the ship! Until all facts are in, it is simply speculation.

Sorry to hear you were 'robbed' Did this happen in Cozumel????

Or perhaps you were driving in Mexico...... lets say....... Cancun and you were pulled over by Policia and they saw you wernt from Mexico and they wanted you to pay your ticket directly to them since you are a tourist

Thats been happening for years All thru Mexico and Central America

This is a extremely sad event and yes crime happens anywhere. That is why when one travels to a foreign land, probably even England, you need to be aware of your surroundings and not venture off into the jungle alone.

As a employee, I'm sure she was aware of the dangers and what to look for. Who knows, it may have been her boyfriend from the ship! Until all facts are in, it is simply speculation.

Texascat,

I agree with you.

Just read this and I'm shocked. We'll be on the Allure of the Seas next month. Has anyone heard about this?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jwSDXELHtCIZG2e7KXEumzYXwxmg?docId=5874355

My prayers are with the employee's family. What a tragic loss.

One paragraph from that story.

Cozumel, one of Mexico's most popular tourist destinations, is far removed from the drug gang violence plaguing the country's northern border with the U.S. and parts of its Pacific coast. Violence is rare on the island off the Yucatan peninsula, known for its clear blue seas, scuba diving and snorkeling.

The death in Cozumel came as several cruise ship companies are cancelling stops in the Mexican Pacific port of Mazatlan due to crimes against tourists.

Disney Wonder and Holland American Line have both dropped calls to Mazatlan, and other companies, including Carnival Cruise, are considering it.

It's also the opinion of the US Department of State, they have travel warning for even Cancun and Cozumel.

Really? I haven't seen a travel warning for Cancun and Cozumel. I have seen a general travel warning for Mexico, and it mentions several areas of concern, but neither Cancun nor Cozumel were mentioned. Must be a separate bulletin.

Sorry to hear you were 'robbed' Did this happen in Cozumel????

Or perhaps you were driving in Mexico...... lets say....... Cancun and you were pulled over by Policia and they saw you wernt from Mexico and they wanted you to pay your ticket directly to them since you are a tourist

Thats been happening for years All thru Mexico and Central America

Making excuses for the Mexican cops? yea right.................

It always pays to be alert in any city anywhere in the world, watch where your going, stay off the beaten paths, don't wear a lot of jewellery, etc. We all know the rules, but I sometimes break them too, however, I have never felt unsafe in Cozumel and have been there many times. We usually get dropped off downtown by a taxi, then walk several blocks away to an awesome local restaurant called "La Choza", where they have the best guacamole and ceviche. Also been to Carlos and Charlies where we walked halfway back to the ship at night before taking a taxi the rest of the way. I grew up in Kingston, Jamaica, so tend to be very aware of my surroundings and if I have even an inkling of feeling unsafe or anything, I follow my instincts and leave the area. I feel very bad though, for the honest Mexican citizens that are trying to make a living and now will lose some business from the tourists...

I do hope they catch whoever did this and soon....how awful for that poor girl and her family she left behind....

You have to be careful no matter where you are.

We took our 4 children to Cozumel...it was probably our least favorite port. We just walked around the stores near the ship. Next time we will probably skip it. Although it wasn't our favorite port others may love it. We loved Jamaica and have read many posts about others having the exact opposite opinion.

Everybody is entitled to have an opinion without being riduculed.

Making excuses for the Mexican cops? yea right.................

I asked if this happened on Cozumel By your lack of response I will say it didnt as I would be surprised

I didnt say it was right and I wasnt making excuses I have driven thru Mexico and Central America and know what happens.

Some roads it will be the locals not the Police and I would prefer the police

1 Thing I do know is You better speak Spanish and carry extra cash just in case

I brought up Cancun, since it isnt a cruise port and cruise ports there are different politics involved. So it isnt as common.

But it is common for a tourist to be pulled over driving from Cancun to Playa del Carmen or Tulum or many other areas

I wear a cheap old watch and hide most of my money in my stash spot And that is whenever I travel thru any Impoverished area in the world Including my beloved San Francisco

We were just on this cruise...We feel so bad for her...We have noticed that even Cozumel has changed over the past couple of years

...The vendors are so pushy now...They would probably make more sales if they just let you take their time

...Last year was the worst we've seen it..Most people do fine if your in a group, but going alone is not a good idea..We feel bad the ship left without her....

I'll be interested to see what kind of statement Royal Caribbean makes regarding this incident and how they will handle future travel, activities, and excursions in that area.

I hope they find out quickly what happened and catch this person, if someone was involved in her death. It could be a passenger from the ship who befriended her, or followed her off the ship.

We had already planned to stay where the tourists are and not venture off, although we usually like the road less travelled.

Archived