Ideas/Comments for cruise leaving from Vancouver

We are on a June 2008 cruise to Alaska out of Vancouver (roundtrip). We will be coming from the East Coast of the US. I have Frequent Flyer miles on Delta to get 2 tickets but there are 4 of us. Sadly, there are not "discount" tickets available with FF miles that would let us get more tickets and buying points is prohibitively expensive (as is a family member giving us points since it is $.01 per mile to gift points). For the 2 tickets we have to buy, I would be looking at about $800 each to fly into Vancouver. We plan on getting in the day before the cruise (to allow for any travel problems) and unfortunately the flights out of Vancouver are all 11 AM or earlier so we will have to spend the night after the cruise. We can fly into Seattle for about half the cost and although there is a 1:00 PM flight out of Seattle, I would be nervous trying to make that flight so likely we will have to spend the disembarkation day anyway and leave the next morning.

I am seeking tips or ideas about flying into Seattle and getting to Vancouver in a reliable and inexpensive manner. We would be arriving about 6:00 PM the day before the cruise and I understand it is about a 2.5 hour trip to Vancouver. I found a website with a shuttle bus service to and from Seattle/Vancouver but it seemed a bit high. A train would be fun but managing all the luggage on and off a train does not appeal to me. Has anyone used the rail transport?

Renting a car (since there are 4 of us) is an option but I would hate to have to pay for an 8 day rental that we have to pay to keep in a parking lot and if we do not rent the whole 8 days, there is the problem of 2 one way trips with a rental car. Has anyone ever worked a deal with a rental car company to basically turn the car in for the time they are on the cruise?

I keep thinking there is some method or idea that I am missing so if you had a great plan that worked, please share it. I will get a hotel in either Seattle or Vancouver as necessary so I do not need hotel tips. The money that I would save flying into Seattle seems to be getting eaten up by travelling to Vancouver and back.

Thanks!

The Quick shuttle (a bus) is reliable and used all the time.

Booking air with cruiseline and or just a Cruiseline transfer from Seattle also is an option.

One way rentals are available with no drop off charges and it's a pretty easy drive once out of Seattle's traffic. Border lineups can sometimes be an issue during the Tourist season however. There are several border options however.

The above are used for same day connections. Remember you gain 3/4 hours in time coming out.

The train is a great way and I always recommend it luggage is no problem but...... As of now there is only one train a day north and it leaves at 7:40 AM so you would have to fly in the night before. Return South bound is at 6 PM so that would entail another night in Seattle.

We would like you to use YVR but sometimes it just doesn't work. Flts departing YVR can often be made when using US Direct program through YVR check their website for info.

http://www.yvr.com/guide/around/onboard/index.asp

You should be able to get a 1 way rental for a reasonable cost from any oft he major car rental companies.

With 4 in your group the car rental would definitely be t he cheapest transport SEA to Vancouver. You will find the drive very easy but allow yourself about 3.5 hours SEA to downtown Vancouver (and it could be longer if the border lineup is bad).

I would suggest you use the Truck crossing instead of the I-5 crossing as usually the lineups are shorter. When driving north on the I-5 just before Blaine WAsh. watch for the signs to the truck crossing and take that exit. It says all trucks must exit here. Then just follow your nose straight to the crossing.

Probably your next cheapest option will be the train and the station in VAncouver is only about a $10. taxi ride to the ship.

Thanks, good tips. Since i was planning to use Frequent Flyer miles for 2 of the tickets, it would not matter whether Vancouver or Seattle for those (50K with Delta to either place). Checking with friends and eBay, I found some more miles so I may just end up getting FF miles and all of us fly into Vancouver.

:) That would have been good but the wacky way FF points work, it was the same price to go from Charleston, SC as from Seattle pretty much. I could pay points and fly to either location for the same price but paying $$ there was a huge difference. Thanks to eBay, I found some more points and we will now be flying into and out of Vancouver. Although I would prefer Seattle, and I have heard the drive up is beautiful, flying in and out of Vancouver will provide some cushion in case any problems develop. We will be flying in the day before and fly out the day after. The day before we will be psyched up and excited but I am dreading the night after the cruise when we have to wait around till the next morning because hey, after a cruise, everything is a let down and that flight home will seem oh so long.

The cruise is not for 8 months and I still cannot wait!

Thanks everyone for your tips and ideas. In case others follow this thread for advice in the future, one very important tip I got was that the problem with a drive from Seattle is not just the travel time but is the crossing of the border. The lines are long and especially long during the summer season. In addition, there is work being done on the highway so that will close lanes. Some told me that the line to cross can sometimes take 2 hours. So that 2 hour trip from Seattle becomes 4 hours without much warning and that is a huge risk to take when you are planning on catching a cruise ship or a flight home! I even found some friends in Seattle who offered to drive us up to Vancouver but the uncertainty of travel time was just too much for making other arrangements.

Dear Weddings

I am glad to hear that you solved your problem and are flying direct to YVR. It will make your trip much easier and with a lot less hassel.

As you are coming into Vancouver a day early I hope you will have a little time to enjoy our beautiful city.

I would suggest that must sees are

Stanley Park - Capilano Suspension Bridge & Grouse Mountain.

Here is some information on all 3 as well as information on other sites in VAncouver.

Info on Vancouver from a local!

My favorite must do attractions are

1) Grouse Mountain – http://www.grousemountain.com – this is a wonderful scenic mountain only about 15 mins from downtown Vancouver. Ride the airtram to the top for lots of fun activities that include a loggers show, birds of prey show, 2 movies (1 about the Vancouver area and 1 about the 2 Grizzly Bears who make their home on Grouse Mtn) ride a chair lift and visit with 2 live Grizzly Bears. Enjoy a meal in any of the restaurants. Caveat only spend the money to go up on a clear day.

2) Capilano Suspension Bridge – http://www.capbridge.com – this is Vancouver’s oldest tourist attraction and I still enjoy visiting it! Located on Capilano Road just before you reach the Grouse Mountain parking lot. Walk across a suspension Bridge over the Capilano Gorge, wonder the trails thru the rain forest, walk thru the treetops on the new Tree Top Adventure, visit the trading post for a huge selection of souvenirs, watch native weavers and/or carvers at work.

3) Capilano Fish Hatchery is also located on Capilano Road and is a great place to view salmon jumping up the fish ladders to get around the Cleveland Dam.

4) Stanley Park – http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/parks/stanley/ - is the crown jewel of Vancouver's parks. As one of North America's largest urban parks, covering over a 1000 acres and offering an abundance of activities. Enjoy the totem pole collection at Brockton Point, hiking trails, beaches, water parks for the kids (young & old), rose gardens, miniature train, petting zoo, aquarium – http://www.vanaqua.org – hollow tree, many view points, and several restaurants.

5) Gas Town – the location where Vancouver originated. The name is derived from a very colorful character named Gassy Jack who was one of the first settlers in the area and a salon keeper – while in Gas Town don’t miss your photo op with the statue of Gassy Jack and by the Steam Clock.

6) At the start of Gas Town is the Harbor Centre Tower http://www.vancouverlookout.com a great spot to start your tour of Vancouver with a birds eye view of the city. Either take the elevator up to the lookout level or go to the top and enjoy a meal in the revolving restaurant.

7) China Town is only about 6 blocks over from Gas Town and is the largest China Town north of San Francisco. While in China Town enjoy a visit to the Dr Sun Yat Sen Classical Gardens http://www.classicalchinesegarden.com and also make sure you visit the world’s thinnest building it is only 6’ wide!

8) Granville Island – http://www.granvilleisland.com – is a huge public market area which not only sells fruit & veggies but you can also buy frozen fish to be shipped to your home. May artists make this their home and you can watch them at work in their studios – making this a great place to buy unique souvenirs. The Granville Island Brewery is also located here and you can stop in for a free tour & tastes. There are theatres for live performances and many fine restaurants. A fun way to get to Granville Island is via the Aquabus – http://www.theaquabus.com

9) Burnaby Village Museum – http://www.city.burnaby.bc.ca – is an open air museum with over 30 restored homes, shops, school, church and a 1912 carousel situated on 10 acres

10) Gulf of Georgia Cannery – http://www.gulfofgeorgiacannery.com – is a restored fishing cannery located in the historic fishing village of Steveston (part of Richmond). Here you see exhibits that showcase the history of the fishing industry in British Columbia. Once finished in the museum it is great fun to walk along the fishing docks and see the fishing boats which are selling their catch. There are also some excellent restaurants located here.

11) The Vancouver Maritime Museum located on the shore of English Bay is fun for the whole family with lots of hands on exhibits for the kid in all of us. Here to you will find the ship St Roch which the RCMP sailed from Vancouver to Halifax via the Northwest Passage and then completed the return journey in 1944. You actually get to tour this ship. http://www.vancouvermaritimemuseum.com

12) Queen Elizabeth Park – http://www.greatervancouverparks.com/QEPark01.htm -The 130 acre (52 hectare) park is one of the most beautifully maintained public parks in the world. Second only to Stanley Park in annual visitations, it receives nearly 6 million people a year who marvel at its superior standard of garden plantings.

The park was originally quarried for its rock which served to build Vancouver's first roadways. In 1929 the Board proceeded to acquire the property which had become an abandoned eyesore but still served as the site for two holding reservoirs for the City's drinking water. Dedicated as a park by King George VI and his consort, Queen Elizabeth (the present Queen's mother) on their much lauded visit to Vancouver in 1939.

13) Fort Langley is the restored wooden fort built by the Hudson’s Bay Company as a trading post. It is the origin of British Columbia and was the first capital. This Fort is operated by the Federal Parks Board.

14) If you are a wine lover you might want to rent a car and spend a day visiting a few of the many excellent wineries located in the Fraser Valley only about a 1 hour drive from your hotel. Almost all of the wineries offer free tastes & tours.

WOW BCHappyGal, that is great information! Thank you very much!! Although we will be arriving in the evening before the cruise (with all the fun of a cross country flight behind us) and probably not able to do much that night, your tips will turn Sunday (disembarkation day) into a day of fun! Still wish I would be on the cruise but my family will be very excited and the information and links you sent will really help.

Thanks again. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We are on a June 2008 cruise to Alaska out of Vancouver (roundtrip). We will be coming from the East Coast of the US. I have Frequent Flyer miles on Delta to get 2 tickets but there are 4 of us. Sadly, there are not "discount" tickets available....

There are almost always 'discount' tickets available, you just need to know where to look ;-). You didn't say where you're coming from (other than east coast), but you may want to consider flying into BLI (Bellingham, WA), which is just (15 miles) south of the border right off I5. Delta (technically Skywest/DeltaConnection) serve it twice a day from SLC (Salt Lake City) one of Delta's hubs. Living in Vancouver I often fly out of BLI as it's a lot cheaper to US destinations. Also, Delta are partnered with Alaska/Horizon who also serve BLI from SEA (Seattle). BLI is so close to the border that some airlines even refer to it as the "Vancouver (Bellingham)" Airport

Also, the shuttle bus that goes Vancouver -SEA does stop at the Bellingham airport by request

• 2 weeks later...

My Dh and myself will be flying Cathay Pacific out of JFK to Vancouver in May 2008 precruise on the Spirit. I never heard of this airline until I included Jfk in my airpot serch. I got a price of $400. per person with tax and that is half the price of flying the same airlines out of Newark. The flight is at 11pm which is a little inconvenient but the flying time is almost half because it is nonstop out of JFK, whereas Newark had one stop . This flight is a no brainer for us due to the cheaper price and shortened air time. We now can afford a better hotel in Vancouver and we are staying two days precruise instead of one.;)

My Dh and myself will be flying Cathay Pacific out of JFK to Vancouver in May 2008 precruise on the Spirit. I never heard of this airline until I included Jfk in my airpot serch. I got a price of $400. per person with tax and that is half the price of flying the same airlines out of Newark. The flight is at 11pm which is a little inconvenient but the flying time is almost half because it is nonstop out of JFK, whereas Newark had one stop . This flight is a no brainer for us due to the cheaper price and shortened air time. We now can afford a better hotel in Vancouver and we are staying two days precruise instead of one.;)

Cathay Pacific are the largest of the Hong Kong airlines, and you're merely on the 1st half of the JFK-YVR-Hong Kong flight. They have a new modern fleet and are consistantly ranked higher than any North American airline.

It has been several years, but, I once flew Cathay Pacific from Bahrain to London. The best airline I ever flew on.

Thanks to post about BLI. I will check out using that on Delta points. FYI: Last week, Delta had really good FF flights from IAD to Vancouver with returns leaving on Monday at noon, total 37,500. Unfortunately, they were only available for a short time. At exactly 8 AM I hit the book button and they responded that it was sold out.

Archived