Cabanas - GSC - Distance to tender/restrooms/food

bryanjaync

My partner and I are taking my 83 yo parents with us on the Pearl in November. We have booked one of the cabanas on GSC. I know they are relatively new, but if anyone knows the following, it would be appreciated:

Walking distance from tender landing to cabanas?

Paths or sand ?

Tram service to cabanas ? (HAL has such service on Half Moon Cay to cabanas)

Walking distance from cabanas to restrooms ?

Walking distance from cabanas to food area ?

Since we are paying, i just wanted to see if it is accessible for my parents. If not, we may cancel.

its a bit of a walk from the tender area to the cabana. There is no paved path, it is all sand. There is restroom near the cabana and another set of restroom near the food area. The food area is in the middle of the island. here is a map:

GSC_activities_map.png

While there is no path, it's very hard packed sand and easily walkable. They do have beach wheel chairs if that's a concern. I've only seen one review since the cabanas are brand new but they mentioned that the waiters would bring food from the island bbq and you do have a food/beverage credit.

No trams. It's a beautiful island.

Hi, just returned from a cruise on the Gem Saturday and we rented Cabana #1 at GSC. Yes, it is about a 10 min walk, however, if you have anyone with you who needs special assistance, simply let them know and there will be a wheel chair designed for the sandy area waiting for you and you will have no problem at all. You will also get a menu as part of your booking of the cabana and can place special meal and drink orders from this for items not normally found on the island. The walk to the normal food area is about 5 min, and the bathrooms about the same. I can say that with the unknown weather, and the crowded beachfront with limited palm trees, the cabana is well worth the money. You can have up to 6 people in it for the $249. It will include 6 all day passes for the hippo slide if you have any children or young adults who want to enjoy that during the day. You will also get a large float to go out on the ocean with. The area of the beach where the cabana's are is fairly private, a short walk from the main beach where everyone else is. It was peaceful, relaxing, and very enjoyable. If I ever go again, I WILL sign up for the cabana as early as possible. There are only 8 and they are first come first serve. Hint: There is a 110v outlet in the cabana, so you can bring music with you and just keep it low as not to disturb people in the next cabana. With the unpredictable weather, and the scattered showers we had while there, it made the day very enjoyable rather than a wash out.

This was from a post from i did back in Jan/12. Yes they have wheelchairs on Gsc, for those who may need them. They are on a first come basis. I was told if a person has no mobility,they are theirs to use while on GSC.

enjoy your cruise

Hi, all,

We did a B2B on the Sun, Jan 14th to 28th. The first week we went to GSC. When, we came ashore i spotted these contraption's. What a great idea. They are made of PVC piping, making them liteweight. Now i remember someone on the board, questioning wheelchair's because of the sand. :eek:

The problem was i forgot my camera, ha, ha, the mind is an aweful thing to waste.:p

Sooooooo the second week off i go to get some photo's. As thing's turned out one of our Cruise Critter's on week two was confined to a wheelchair, and was unaware of them, as are others i am sure. I was on the first tender on a mission, then back to the ship.

The attendent told me they have 12 on the Island, not sure if they can be prebooked thru Guest Services. Silly me, forgot to ask :o

I have to take my hat off to NCL, for the great care they take of their passenger's. :cool:

Hope this help's

attachment.php?attachmentid=220735&thumb=1&d=1328455532

attachment.php?attachmentid=220736&thumb=1&d=1328455532

cmecompute do you have any pics of the cabana's? If you do can you please post them.

Yes, I have a bunch. I will post them if you bear with me a day or so. Have not even unpacked yet. Just got back to the house last night, and am at work today. But I will post for you.

Yes, I have a bunch. I will post them if you bear with me a day or so. Have not even unpacked yet. Just got back to the house last night, and am at work today. But I will post for you.

Thanks so much. Ugh at work today. Tell the boss I give you off for the rest of the week you have to rest up after a vacation!

As the OP, thanks for all the input. My folks dont need the wheelchair (knock wood) just getting an idea of distances.

Any pics of the completed/furnished cabanas would be nice.

Also any listings of the for-charge menu (since we got a $50 on-island credit, and dont drink alcohol but will use some for sodas).

Thanks again.

As the OP, thanks for all the input. My folks dont need the wheelchair (knock wood) just getting an idea of distances.

Any pics of the completed/furnished cabanas would be nice.

Also any listings of the for-charge menu (since we got a $50 on-island credit, and dont drink alcohol but will use some for sodas).

Thanks again.

We are still unpacking, but I am sure we have the menu for the Cabana's. As soon as I find it I will post here. If it is too small or grainy to be read, I can email it to you.

I found the menu's. The key is -- spend the entire $50, it is a non-refundable credit. Whatever you spend is charged to your room charge, the credit of $50 is posted to your room charge. Any difference of the credit you don't spend is then taken back off your room charge. The money has to be spent on their menu, or island drinks.

1892007852_Cabanas1.jpg.789837aca2d4a3abaa2a2ecf8a18b7ed.jpg

178385744_Cabanas2.jpg.04600cd2500c8d7c54c9a66c2ccf2723.jpg

Thanks for the menus and pictures. They are just what I was looking for. Can you confirm or deny that the "Soda Card" works on GSC like it does onboard?

The couple we were with used soda cards, the waiters kept the sodas coming all day long for them. This was probably the only time on the cruise I felt pampered. The service in the Cabana's was fantastic, the staff were very attentive. When we arrived, we did a little re-arranging of the Cabana right away. The table and chairs were front and center and the lounges were all in the back. We took the table with all the food and moved it to the back and brought all the lounge chairs forward. Nothing to block the view, you could lay in the sun or under the overhang.

You can share with up to a total of 6 people. We had shared with friends on the cruise, but would have still done the Cabana if it was only us. Well worth the money. There is not much shade on the island, and with unknown weather could make the difference of a great day or not-so-great day. It did for us. And, the topper was the service was impeccable in the cabana. Best service on the entire cruise!

Here are the pics I found on one of our cameras from last week. Like I said, we had a blast, and it really made what could have been a so-so day a great day with the scattered showers.

I don't know what the designer got for coming up with those Cabanas but they should have got life.

They look like an unfinished car port. You would think there could have been an attractive tropical angle to these things, sturdy infrastructure construction notwithstanding but use of materials vis-a-vis Gilligan's Island.

And how about a few tropical plants? Or, colourful mats, etc. It might just be me since I'm an obnoxious enigma, but those huts just leave me cold.

I don't know what the designer got for coming up with those Cabanas but they should have got life.

They look like an unfinished car port. As the saying goes....Any port in a storm...

You would think there could have been an attractive tropical angle to these things, sturdy infrastructure construction notwithstanding but use of materials vis-a-vis Gilligan's Island. They aren't pretty, but they serve their purpose providing shade and less sand.

And how about a few tropical plants? Or, colourful mats, etc. It might just be me since I'm an obnoxious enigma, but those huts just leave me cold.

They just started renting them, maybe these things will magically appear in the near future

:Dthanks so much for all the info. we have a cabana reserved for a cruise in july. on themenu there are only such HUGE orders for drinks, is there a way to order just a few beers or glass of wine?

I wondered why you didn't feel pampered on the rest of the cruise?:confused:

Thank you for posting the menus in a PDF. My partner and I booked a cabana for our December 2012 cruise for us and the 4 other people who are traveling with us are going to join us - we thought the price was worth it for just 2 people - having stuff for 6 is a bonus. Good to know about the soda card too. We will definitely go through the $50 drink credit without blinking an eye. Can't wait - 6 1/2 months to go!!

If you are thinking about booking, you might want to go ahead and pay the money - USAToday ran an online article about cabanas at GSC a few days ago - so the word is out about them. With only 10 cabanas per day available, they may go fast. Stinks you have to pay for the now, but what can you do.

Archived