Captain's Table

Dame Delilah

We have not used traditional dining on Princess in several years, so I'm looking for an update. Since we will return to Traditional dining on our upcoming trip in October.

Many years ago, the Captain and several officers joined passengers for traditional dining on a few evenings during each trip.

I know that Celebrity and Royal Carib still do it (or did within the past 2 years). We enjoyed being seated on two occasions, and when not seated with them still appreciated seeing the Captain and his officers mingle with the passengers on many trips.

Has that tradition faded away, along with some of the "old institutions"? Or does it still exist somewhere on some lines?

I'm afraid the only officers you'll see on a Princess ship at dinner are on the televison where they're airing the first season of "The Love Boat" ... also on sale in the ship's shops.

Not to be cold, I sailed during the days when there was a Captains Table as well and appreciate the sentiment.

That being said, it was kind of a kick watching "The Love Boat" on the Love Boat. :D

Actually, it's not THAT old a tradition! We were seated with the Captain on a Royal Carib TransAtlantic in 2008 and at a table with the Officers on a Celebrity Alaska Cruise in 2007. But I guess times are changing. OK, I can hang with that!

Actually, it's not THAT old a tradition! We were seated with the Captain on a Royal Carib TransAtlantic in 2008 and at a table with the Officers on a Celebrity Alaska Cruise in 2007. But I guess times are changing. OK, I can hang with that!

Can't speak for other lines ... we've been sailing with Princess for years .. have never seen an officer in the dining room.

A friend is a CD on RCL (yo, Kirk!). I do believe they still do it.

Again, I appreciate the sentiment ... our last cruise, the Baked Alaska's on the final night had fake candles instead of flames! Again, a kitchy throw back to the earlier days, but then why do it all.

The Captain on the S.S. Constitution did several Captain's Dinner's a cruise ... so you see where I'm coming from.

Can't speak for other lines ... we've been sailing with Princess for years .. have never seen an officer in the dining room.

A friend is a CD on RCL (yo, Kirk!). I do believe they still do it.

Again, I appreciate the sentiment ... our last cruise, the Baked Alaska's on the final night had fake candles instead of flames! Again, a kitchy throw back to the earlier days, but then why do it all.

The Captain on the S.S. Constitution did several Captain's Dinner's a cruise ... so you see where I'm coming from.

As I mentioned above, it really does depend on the ship. Last July, on the Tahitian, ever night there was a least one Officer in the dining room that we saw, and real flames on the baked alaska.

On the Royal, a year ago, there were multiple officers, including the Captain in the dining room each night.

We have not used traditional dining on Princess in several years, so I'm looking for an update. Since we will return to Traditional dining on our upcoming trip in October.

Many years ago, the Captain and several officers joined passengers for traditional dining on a few evenings during each trip.

I know that Celebrity and Royal Carib still do it (or did within the past 2 years). We enjoyed being seated on two occasions, and when not seated with them still appreciated seeing the Captain and his officers mingle with the passengers on many trips.

Has that tradition faded away, along with some of the "old institutions"? Or does it still exist somewhere on some lines?

I wish I could remember the year that Princess stopped the Captain's Table as the larger ships began sailing, but it's been too many years to count I am afraid. We have sailed with Princess off and on (mostly on the last 7 or 8 years) since 1993 and I can still remember the Captain and officers dining with passengers each evening.

One thing on many Princess ships now is the 'most traveled' luncheon (I think now it is on sailings over 7 days, but can't remember for sure as it's been a while since we sailed on a 7 day cruise). You are invited, if you make the cut of the most traveled on your sailing, and seated at the luncheon with the officers, most traveled of coarse sits at the Captain's Table, then the staff captain, and on down to the other high ranking officers and Cruise Director. Always a great luncheon with some very good food and good conversation. ;)

I have heard of those though that have sent a personal invite to one of the officers to join them for dinner, and they have accepted the invite.

As I mentioned above, it really does depend on the ship. Last July, on the Tahitian, ever night there was a least one Officer in the dining room that we saw, and real flames on the baked alaska.

On the Royal, a year ago, there were multiple officers, including the Captain in the dining room each night.

We had (sterno) flames on the Tahitian last year. No officers.

Hi There,

Officers are not allowed in the dinning rooms, however you will see them, in the Crown Grill HC etc,

If you are lucky you may get a personal invite from an officer to dine with them, but this is a private thing not some thing organised by Princess,

have dined a few times with ships officers, and hope to do again as you get such great info on the ship,ports and Princess.

yours Shogun

Archived