Coral World? (St.Thomas)

coltahonas

On Feb.9th we went to Coral World in St.Thomas and had the BEST TIME doing the Turtle Encounter, as well as the Sea Lion Splash. Both of these activities cost extra (on top of the aquarium's $21/person admission fee) but were totally worth every penny!

First, we were able to stand in the water with 2 large sea turtles and stroke their backs. Why snorkel in the ocean, hoping to see a sea turtle when you can just pay to BE with one? Just my perspective. LOVED IT!

Second, we swam in a pool with 2 South American sea lions. They pulled us around in the water (we held onto their necks) and also jumped over our heads. Truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Similar to dolphin swims I had done before on other islands.

One person on cruisecritics indicated it was a small aquarium that could be done in an hour -- simply not the case! We were there ALL day. Every 45 minutes there is some sort of feeding going on, so we just followed that schedule. We fed the lorikeet birds, fed the stingrays, watched them feed the nurse sharks, watched people doing the B.O.S.S underwater helmet dive etc.

And for those who don't like water, they have a huge underwater observatory (included in park admission) that allows you to see every fish imaginable.

We had a FANTASTIC time. If you are a nature lover who likes to get close to animals, check out their website: http://www.coralworldvi.com/

They also have a toll free number: 1(888)695-2073

P.S- they have lockers you can rent for $3 as well as showers and bathroom facilities. Coki Beach is right next door, and they give you an arm band that allows in and out privileges. So you can spend some time at the beach and go back to Coral World to clean up.

So glad to hear that you enjoyed it! We are there on the Eurodam on March 25th and just booked a few days ago for my 12 year old daughter and my husband to do the turtle encounter and the sea lion swim. After we had booked with Coral World I read that it wasn't all that great and became a little concerned! Thanks for the info!

Glad you enjoyed it. We did the Sea Lion Swim and loved it. I posted pictures on another thread a couple of weeks ago.

We wanted to do the sea turtles but DD was 4 inches too short. I guess you need to be 4'8" to participate due to the depth of the pool. How long were you in the with the sea turtles? Any details would be great and we're hoping to go back in a couple of years (need to give her time to grow :D).

First, we were able to stand in the water with 2 large sea turtles and stroke their backs. Why snorkel in the ocean, hoping to see a sea turtle when you can just pay to BE with one? Just my perspective. LOVED IT!

Because it's awesome. :) It's the difference between a safari and a trip to the zoo. Between a camping trip and a lock-in at your local skating rink. Between paying for your first car and having your parents buy you one.

Note---there's no downside to EITHER of those options. No matter whether you're roller-skating or hiking up a mountain, you're gonna have fun, but yeah---there's a difference. Hehehe. That's my perspective. :)

/swam with wild sea turtles on St. John

Can't remember exactly how long we were with the sea turtles. Perhaps about about 25 minutes? Whatever amount of time it was, we never felt rushed. The amount of time was totally sufficient. Took an underwater camera with us so as not to worry about splashes of water onto the camera.

As for my comment about preferring to pay to BE with the turtles rather than see them in the wild, I have snorkeled over 20 times and never saw a sea turtle during any of those times! OBVIOUSLY seeing them in the wild is preferable. But since that has not been my great fortune, I think paying to feel them and see them up close is worth it -- better than snorkeling over and over and never seeing even one of them.

• 3 weeks later...
On Feb.9th we went to Coral World in St.Thomas and had the BEST TIME doing the Turtle Encounter, as well as the Sea Lion Splash. Both of these activities cost extra (on top of the aquarium's $21/person admission fee) but were totally worth every penny!

Second, we swam in a pool with 2 South American sea lions. They pulled us around in the water (we held onto their necks) and also jumped over our heads. Truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Similar to dolphin swims I had done before on other islands.

One person on cruisecritics indicated it was a small aquarium that could be done in an hour -- simply not the case! We were there ALL day. Every 45 minutes there is some sort of feeding going on, so we just followed that schedule. We fed the lorikeet birds, fed the stingrays, watched them feed the nurse sharks, watched people doing the B.O.S.S underwater helmet dive etc.

And for those who don't like water, they have a huge underwater observatory (included in park admission) that allows you to see every fish imaginable.

We had a FANTASTIC time. If you are a nature lover who likes to get close to animals, check out their website: http://www.coralworldvi.com/

P.S- they have lockers you can rent for $3 as well as showers and bathroom facilities. Coki Beach is right next door, and they give you an arm band that allows in and out privileges. So you can spend some time at the beach and go back to Coral World to clean up.

It sounds wonderful. Did you contact Coral World prior to your cruise? or just show up for the Sea Lion encounter?

I'm wondering if I should make reservations ahead of time.

Thank you.

Any of the private animal encounters (ie- sea lion swim, turtle encounter etc.) require reservations -- THESE ACTIVITIES ARE OFTEN BOOKED SOLID MONTHS IN ADVANCE as they are so popular. I would definitely call their toll free number 1-888-695-2073 immediately to see if space is still available at Coral World.

Any of the private animal encounters (ie- sea lion swim, turtle encounter etc.) require reservations -- THESE ACTIVITIES ARE OFTEN BOOKED SOLID MONTHS IN ADVANCE as they are so popular. I would definitely call their toll free number 1-888-695-2073 immediately to see if space is still available at Coral World.

Thank you for passing along the number!

Can't remember exactly how long we were with the sea turtles. Perhaps about about 25 minutes? Whatever amount of time it was, we never felt rushed. The amount of time was totally sufficient. Took an underwater camera with us so as not to worry about splashes of water onto the camera.

As for my comment about preferring to pay to BE with the turtles rather than see them in the wild, I have snorkeled over 20 times and never saw a sea turtle during any of those times! OBVIOUSLY seeing them in the wild is preferable. But since that has not been my great fortune, I think paying to feel them and see them up close is worth it -- better than snorkeling over and over and never seeing even one of them.

A few years back I stayed at the Fairmont Orchard on the Big Island of Hawaii. Just off their beach is a natural feeding ground for turtles, and they were HUGE, and plentiful, never thought I'd see so many in such a small area....was a little scary actually......

I have never seen more than one or two naturally in the Caribbean.....

BK

You will need to speak to your cruise's excursion representatives about that. I'm thinking that if you are doing both Coral World and Megan's Bay all on the same day, the timing of events might be an issue (especially if they change the order/sequence of activities = such as doing Megan's Bay first instead of last). But yes, you could always try to arrange the Turtle Encounter once you arrive (when you arrive at Coral World, just ask at the front desk if there is availability). The advantage of booking in advance is to ensure you have a time slot (as they book up quickly, often months ahead of time).

• 1 month later...

hello. we are planning on going to coral world when we get to st. thomas next month. we are big animal lovers!!!!can you please tell me, were you able to feed the lorikeet birds anytime you wanted or do they have a time set up for the feeding and that is the only time you get to feed them and interact with them.

can you please tell, me how long is the drive from the port to that park and how much was the taxi fare.

thank you so much!!:D:D:D

do you have to book through dcl? Can i just call Coral world and buy my tickets to get in and schedule the sea lion swim? Once I get off the ship, can we just catch a cab to take us there? thanks

hello. i think you can do it all by yourself. they do have a website. go to google and type coral world in st. thomas and their website will give you more info about the whole park.

we are not gonna do any swims, we have done that in other parks, but once we get off the ship, we are just going to get a cab and drive over there and buy our tickets at the entrance.:D

Yes. We were able to feed the lorikeet birds. They had nectar in a small cup available for purchase for a couple of dollars. The birds jump right on you to get to the cup! Not sure if there is a designated time to do this. We were at the birds around noon - 1pm when it was happening. Best to call Coral World and ask.

The taxi ride was approx. 20-30min long to get from the ship to Coral World. We easily found a taxi when we left the ship. St.Thomas is a very expensive island (in my opinion) so don't be surprised if it costs you $10US per person EACH WAY. Decide ahead of time where you are going and then STAY there because getting in and out of a taxi will easily add up to a lot of money.

The sea lion swim books up quickly, so best to call Coral World ahead of time (MONTHS ahead of time) to ensure your reservation. If you're not going to do the sea lion swim or turtle encounter, then you don't need a reservation. Just show up and buy your admission tickets.

Without booking the animal encounters like we did, you will not need half as much time as we did to look through the park... Coki Beach is next door if you're looking for something else to do without having to pay for another taxi fare.

hello. we are planning on going to coral world when we get to st. thomas next month. we are big animal lovers!!!!can you please tell me, were you able to feed the lorikeet birds anytime you wanted or do they have a time set up for the feeding and that is the only time you get to feed them and interact with them.

can you please tell, me how long is the drive from the port to that park and how much was the taxi fare.

thank you so much!!:D:D:D

You can feed them anytime after 10am. we just got back from there this weekend and it was great. it took about 25-30 minutes. it is right next to coki beach, which is very nice. it cost 9.00pp each way

we also did the sealion splash and it was great

P1010215.jpg.36df802497f1d6cc77769cbe09b78800.jpg

We just got back from a DCL cruise to St. Thomas. There was road construction going on in town near the cruise docks. This was causing some traffic tie ups, especially at rush hour. If doing Coral World on your own, take this into consideration (it is on the other side of the island from the cruise docks). We were on a ship sponsored tour and got back on with 15 minutes to spare.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried calling them 3 or 4 times now (and I have left messages) and still haven't heard back. It is very frustrating. I tried emailing but they told me to call. Oh, I will try again tomorrow.

I suggest you keep trying the 1-800 number. I can't remember if I selected "0" to bypass the automated system or what but I remember doing something like that. Keep selecting other options in the automated system until you get a live person. And if you make a reservation, ask them to e-mail you a confirmation to give you piece of mind that everything is understood.

Archived