CPAP and Distilled Water

atxlady

Question, my in laws will be traveling next month. He uses a CPAP, can they call guest services to have a gallon of distilled water delivered to their cabin? I know they would hate to have to cart around a gallon of water. Thanks in advance for the help.

In his cruise Personalizer, click on Medical & Dietary Requests. I don't know why it's under "Dietary" but you can check a box there for Distilled Water.

Ditto this .... you can also just request it from the stateroom attendant once on board. Also, they will supply an extension cord for the CPAP if it is required.

...VTX-Al

Also, a good number of folks in a different thread on the same subject, stated that for the relatively short time they're on a cruise they simply use tap water from their cabin. The ship's water is pretty much filtered water, better than one can buy in stores. I use tap water for my CPAP machine; there's no mineral build up over the short time I'm away from home - where of course I do use distilled water.

Distilled water is to prevent mineral build-up and as Treven stated above, it is not needed for a one week cruise. Tap water is fine.

When your FIL gets home, if there is any build-up, he should do the usual cleaning routine with 1:2 vinegar:water instead of 1:4.

Also, remind him to bring some duct tape (in case he springs a leak), plus spare parts for his mask.

When I was working in home care, I got a call a couple of times a month from people who were traveling and forgot their:

1) mask

2) power cord

3) humidifier chamber

4) the whole enchilada:eek:

You get the picture:D

Tell him to make a list and check it twice!

Edited by JF - retired RRT

Question, my in laws will be traveling next month. He uses a CPAP, can they call guest services to have a gallon of distilled water delivered to their cabin? I know they would hate to have to cart around a gallon of water. Thanks in advance for the help.

All the water on board is distilled ..... the ship produces its own water using distillation and reverse osmosis. If you ask your cabin steward for a gallon of distilled water they will deliver it to your cabin

I got an extension cord (required) through our steward, but surprisingly found that without the distilled water, managed nicely. Thought it might be due to the "sea" atmosphere...or maybe I'm all wet on the reasoning. It was 32 days.

I got an extension cord (required) through our steward, but surprisingly found that without the distilled water, managed nicely. Thought it might be due to the "sea" atmosphere...or maybe I'm all wet on the reasoning. It was 32 days.

Not everyone feels the need for a humidifier.

When I first started working in home care, using humidifiers was not standard (as it is today). The failure rate was quite high. Then studies were done that showed that adding humidity dramatically increased the success rate for staying with CPAP therapy.

We always get one bottle of water through our Personalizer. The one bottle lasts 10+ days. We did not do it once a few years ago, and when we met out cabin steward, he went to get hubby one and there were no bottles left. :eek: Luckily we were able to get one in a port within a couple of days.:)

As others have mentioned, all you have to do is note your request for a power cord and distilled water via the Princess web site.

Just a note about the tap vs. distilled water debate. I find, for me, that distilled water gives me better therapy than does tap water. While salts and minerals do not vaporize there are dissolved gasses that do: chlorine being the most common. This tends to aggravate my system. I know the amount of chlorine varies from source to source and sensitivity to this gas does too. The easy way for me is to use distilled water.

Redwood

I always request distilled water and have never gotten it. I just use the tap water, which is distilled, anyway. I know I could ask the steward to get me a bottle, but I don't bother.

I keep an extension cord packed because the ship provides a commercial type cord which is cumbersome.

I plug my e-reader charger into it, leaving the outlet on the vanity for other electronics.