The 8-Day WHILRWIND Mystery Tour on the 8/15 Freedom. A review. With pics!

CeleBrat

So, we splurged. Kind of. We hadn’t intended to go on a cruise in the summer, primarily because the rates are so high. But, DH was soon embarking on a mid-life career change that would result in him “starting over” with no vacation time available at a new job (read: he got laid off, is going back to school, and will be a “newbie” in a new career.) So who knew when we would be able to vacation together as a family again, especially since I have 7 weeks of VACA per year, and am not one to sit still.

Anyway, after just playing around on the Carnival site (dangerous habit) we discovered this 8-day Carnival Freedom cruise. By booking it for the last week of summer, rates were lower, somewhat. I guess. And, we were able to rationalize the extra cost by factoring the extra 8th day, not that it would normally cost an extra $500. But, who’s counting, right? And, the cruise stopped in Antigua, which is one location we had never been. Sold to the Medveds!!

Our last cruise had been with MSC, so we were looking forward to traveling on a “cool” mainstream line again. It’s not that MSC was bad. We enjoyed the cruise, as we enjoy ALL cruises. It was just frustrating to have to constantly explain who/what MSC stood for when people asked, “Which cruise line?” After explaining that they were a newcomer to the US market, but established in the Europe, with huge new ships, we would inevitably be met with a skeptical nod of the head and an “uh huh…”, which meant that the other person was thinking, “OMG, they got duped into one of those scam timeshare cruises.” It was so much more satisfying and stress-free to be able to say, “Carnival Freedom” and have people understand.

Enough about MSC though. Back to this CARNIVAL review. (Although, if you want MSC info, you can read the review in my signature and see that it was a “real-live” cruise line, and lots of fun.)

The kids (DS-9 and DD-6) had no idea we were going on the cruise. We managed to keep it a secret from them right up until the time we pulled up to the port. And, that secret turned into an elaborate story line, which came out of nowhere one night at dinner. We were discussing, as a family, the “Kid Nation” reality show, which had aired last year. For those that haven’t seen it, it is a Survivor-esque reality show where 4 teams of kids live and work in an abandoned western town in an attempt to set up a KID NATION. Our kids enjoyed watching the show with us, but when asked, always vehemently denied ever wanting to be a part of the show. SO, when it came up in conversation that night at dinner, we asked, as always, “Wouldn’t it be neat to be on that show?”

The kids respond, in unison, “Noooooooo!”

I have no idea why I said this next, other than to blame it on the invisible little devil that sits on my shoulders tempting me often. Clearly, he won over me that night because I responded with, “Oh my gosh, I forgot to tell you guys. Kid Nation is hosting auditions in Ft Lauderdale and I signed you both up. August 15th. It’ll be fun, right?”

The kids in tandem, “Nooooooo!”

And so the devilish plot began….

There’s nothing better then sitting in your fully-packed car, pulling away from the house, about to embark on the drive to the port for cruise. This time though, DH and I had to be very subdued as we left due to the surprise factor. No “We’re going on a cruuuuise!” chant, as we drove away.

Instead, we continued to pepper our conversation about the imaginary KID NATION contest/audition we were heading to. About 30 minutes prior to our arrival in FLL, I pulled out the fake KID NATION contract I had created, and began to read aloud from it. Both kids got visibly nervous, as the reality of KID NATION was upon them. After reading the entire first page, which involved info about challenges, eligibility, food choices, prizes, etc, I feigned tiredness and had DS read the rest. DH and I couldn’t help but hold back our grins when he started to read, “DISCLAIMER—everything in this contract is not true. It’s actually an elaborate trick, to hide the fact that we are going on an 8-day cruise aboard the Carnival Freedom.” The kids weren’t sure it they were happy, at going on a cruise, or mad, at the fact that we had tricked them. Happiness seemed to win out.

DSCF1468.jpg

As per usual, we parked at United Airport Parking, which is an out-of-the-way park/shuttle facility located in the “scary” warehouse section of FLL. The scariness of the facility is counterbalanced by their great service and very inexpensive parking rates ($71 for the 8 days we were gone!). We pulled up and DH ran inside the office to check us in. Two minutes later one of their employees jumped in the car, drove it around to the other side of the facility, and backed the car up so that it was practically inside a warehouse, thereby shielding us from the pouring rain. I was thrilled, although the kids were a little shocked by the stranger that had jumped into the driver’s seat. Sadly, because it was raining, I have no pics of UNITED Parking.

A quick shuttle ride with our luggage, and we were at the port. While in the shuttle, the driver called out, “You folks going to the Freedom?” Our family said YES”, while the other family in the van also said, “Yes, the Freedom of the Seas.” I responded, “You mean Carnival Freedom, right?”

How can people not even know the name of the ship they are on?

Not to worry, the Carnival Freedom was the only ship in port that day. So, there was no confusion over which ship we would be boarding, or needing to worry about the luggage being delivered to the right ship. I must add, the Freedom looked lonely, sitting there all by herself in port. Especially in the rain. And viewed through the window of our shuttle van.

DSCF1471.jpg

As we pulled up to the curb at the port, the van was rattled by an instantaneous lightning/thunder strike. It was loud, and must have hit nearby. I hoped it wasn’t an omen of things to come….

Apparently, it was. Just inside the terminal, a friendly shoreside agent was handing out an official "Letter from the Captain", explaining that our itinerary was in a state of flux, and that we would be porting in Nassau the very next day, and that further itinerary updates would be given once on the ship. (Nassau was scheduled to be our last port-of-call). Cue ominous music here…

The terminal was very full, and it took us about an hour to get onboard, which is the longest we’ve experienced in awhile.

Finally, after about an hour of waiting, and being processed, we were walking up that steep gangway to the ship. YAHOO! Let the vacation begin!

DSCF1473.jpg

An obligatory first meal at the oh-so-crowded-with-people-and-luggage-buffet, then we were off to find our room.

DSCF1475.jpg

There is nothing like that first site of the dessert table!

DSCF1478.jpg

DSCF1569.jpg

The Upgrade Fairy had called us a few days prior to sailing, and sold us a window for a mere $100 total. So, we were thrilled with our oceanview room Deck 1 Forward. Having traveled in an interior room for the last few cruises, we were overwhelmed by the large feel of the room. In all honestly, the room is only a few sq feet bigger. But those few feet made all the difference in the world. And, there’s that added bonus of the window “seat”. It’s not really a window seat. Rather, there is an 18-inch ledge around the large window, which is a perfect size for sitting in. We found it quite handy when we arrived back to the room in wet swimsuits, and had to take turns having shower. The window seat was the only safe place the kids could sit without soaking the furniture with their wet suits.

DSCF1481.jpg

The downside to the oceanview cabin is that there is only one upper berth, with the couch being the other single bed, whereas the interior hosts 2 upper berths.

DSCF1480.jpg

Those who have kids will understand that the novelty of sleeping in the upper berths is TO DIE FOR as a kid. So, we flipped a coin to determine who got ownership of the upper. DD won!

Before long, it as time for the Muster Drill. This is where we became acquainted with the fabulousness that is Cruise Director John Heald. We fell in love with him when he announced that he would be running the Muster Drill via PA, and that he INSISTS that no one wear the lifejacket until the Muster was almost over, and the staff properly demonstrated how to put the jacket on. Ahhh…so nice to be able to stand there without waiting to death in a lifejacket!

Muster drill complete, it was time for sailaway. By this time, the weather was really taking an ominous turn (cue more ominous music....) and we opted to watch the sailaway from underneath a side aft deck on Deck 10.

The wind was really picking up.

DSCF1492.jpg

Even the flags were flying at sideways-mast!

DSCF1477.jpg

And it literally looked like we had been dropped straight into the "Poltergeist" movie set. Check out these scary clouds!

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

DSCF1500.jpg

DSCF1499.jpg

And just like that, we were off. To Nassau at least. After that, who knew? Tropical Storms Ana, Bill, and Claudette were circling the Caribbean, creating a few road blocks for our little ship.

I was so excited to see your review...we were just on the Freedom in July on the 8 day western.

What cabin number were you? We were in 1238 (an inside)...sounds like your cabin might have been close.

Looking forward to reading more...

I was so excited to see your review...we were just on the Freedom in July on the 8 day western.

What cabin number were you? We were in 1238 (an inside)...sounds like your cabin might have been close.

Looking forward to reading more...

How did you know? We were in #1237. Awesome location! Deck 1 Forward. Nice wide hallways, very little foot traffic. And, the best part, it was only 1 deck above the shoreside gangway. No having to wait/fight for an elevator when coming back onboard after a long (sweaty) day on land.

CeleBrat

Phew! So glad you guys aren't "judging" me for the Kid Nation thing. It was very funny to see them squirm...! And, we knew we would only ever be able to trick them once, so we had to do it up good!

I am signing off for the night. Have to go finish sharpening pencils for the kids first day of school (tomorrow!) nothing like stretching your summer VACA until the very last day.

I promise I'll be back tomorrow with more updates. DH is off to his first day of school as well, and I took the day off of work. So, I have a blissfully-free ALONE day. So, no one to tell me to "Get off the computer Mooooooom!"

CeleBrat

Great review, beautiful kids, and I think you are an awesome mom for setting up the "fake" reason for the trip. As parents we are "memory makers" and trust me, your kids won't soon forget! Our 5 sons are grown now, and it gives us great pleasure to have them all around us telling stories of great memories that we helped create! :D

Excuse me??? Tap Tap?? You can't stop now!! lol I fully expect this story to be completed by the time I return tonight (going Cedar Point for my birthday, just to brag a little wootwoot) I was really enjoying your style of reviewing! Great start... now get back on task and finish! We are leaving on the Freedom next month - but the 6 day itninerary - so pictures are a MUST!! Thanks and I LOVE that you tricked your kids! I do that to mine all the time! Nothing wrong with growing up with slightly twisted and fun parents! ;)

Great review, love the surprise. I am sitting here reading cc while waiting/killing time before we board the Holiday it is so close right outside our hotel window :D!! Cant wait to read more.

:eek:

you're waiting to board?!?! :cries:

I totally envy you right now!

Archived