Ex-Con Godmother

ctguy001

What was Princess thinking when they selected Martha Stewart, a convicted felon, as Godmother for Crown Princess? What a contrast to Freedom of the Seas selection of a foster mother to hundreds of children as their Godmother.

I guess lots of publicity outweighs good taste in the business world.

My understanding is that a very wealthy woman (and former stock broker) used insider information in order to make money at the expense of a stock buyer (or buyers) whom lacked such information. I read this as a rich and privileged person trying to make money at the expense of the Average Joe. Maybe my read is wrong; but if it is correct, how can anyone believe this woman deserves to be honored??

I am the furthest person from being a Martha Stewart fan, but she served her time (such as it was) and paid her dues to society. RCL may feel that she now deserves to be back in the "mainstream of society", and justice served, no continued prejudice should be held against her??

No! Forget what I just said. She's a bad choice.......!!!

Many civil rights leaders were also jailed. Would you exclude them also?

I think they would depending on their viewpoint. I mentioned this on the other thread, but first of all the woman was used as a scapegoat and secondly she served the punishment that was deemed appropriate for her alleged crimes. So does the backlash mean that someone who has legal issues – and successfully resolves them – is no longer worthy of any accolades, no matter what he or she accomplishes? Or does it mean that the Stewart jury didn’t do their job and because she’s a celebrity she should have been executed for her alleged crimes?

Check out the Princess press release – she’s done a lot more than just go to jail.

My understanding is that a very wealthy woman (and former stock broker) used insider information in order to make money at the expense of a stock buyer (or buyers) whom lacked such information. I read this as a rich and privileged person trying to make money at the expense of the Average Joe. Maybe my read is wrong; but if it is correct, how can anyone believe this woman deserves to be honored??
Your understanding is correct according to the jury’s verdict at the trial. Juries have been wrong in the past and people have been tried and convicted in error. Doesn't matter - read the press release.

And just to cover my butt, I think there are others more deserving of this kind of honor than Martha, no matter her accomplishments - I was rooting for Rosie O'Donnell myself.

This has been addressed in a previous thread, with posters pro and con re: Martha, probably about 50:50. Unfortunate that there are so many "live and let live" thinkers, but I guess white collar crime is acceptable to some. Their attitude is "she did her time so it's OK now".

I too wrote to Princess and received no response. As much as I love sailing on Princess, I find it's sad that they lack concern for loyal PAX feeling that this is an honor NOT to be bestowed on a person with a criminal record.

ctguy001 had it right - - What is Princess thinking? There are many out there who have done things for the betterment of others, who would really deserve such an honor.

I guess megabucks and friends in high places get one in a position to receive unwarranted recognition. Sad commentary on today's morality.

What's wrong with Rosie O'Donnell, Dean? A problem with her because of her sexual orientation? Or because she's outspoken about gun control? or other "hot" issues? Come on. I'd choose Rosie over the jailbird any day. Just my opinion. Either way, Princess is still my favorite cruiseline.

This has been addressed in a previous thread, with posters pro and con re: Martha, probably about 50:50. Unfortunate that there are so many "live and let live" thinkers, but I guess white collar crime is acceptable to some. Their attitude is "she did her time so it's OK now".
I don’t think this has anything to do with “white collar crime.” And it’s got nothing to do with “live and let live” either. If a person is deemed guilty of a crime by a jury and is given a sentence by a judge and serves that sentence as deemed appropriate, what more do you expect of them before you consider them viable members of society? What would you have Martha do in addition to what she’s already done to pay back society? How much does she have to do before you consider her a worthy human again? Or is it a lost cause in her case - she can never redeem herself? Hmm - I think even God forgives, doesn't he?

Talk about holding a grudge – soon anyone who makes a mistake will be wearing scarlet letters, or pink triangles, or yellow stars.

Must admit I'm not a big Martha fan but at the same time, she's a very high profile extremely successful businessperson. She did get caught in a white collar crime - didn't murder anyone - served her time - what's the big deal? How much of the insider trading/grimy business stuff goes on all the time with the principals just not getting caught?

Princess Diana she ain't....but I don't think Princess have aligned themselves with Attila The Hun either.....

Just my humble opinion.....

How About Dick Cheney?here's the actual release for anyone interested....SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (May 18, 2006) -- Martha Stewart has been selected by Princess Cruises to serve as godmother for the line's newest cruise ship, Crown Princess. Ms. Stewart will preside over the vessel's official naming in New York on June 14, 2006, when she breaks the traditional bottle of champagne on the ship marking its debut. The ceremony, which will be the first to occur at the city's new Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, will honor Ms. Stewart and the many accomplishments that have made her America's premier authority on the home. That same evening across from the glittering Manhattan skyline, the 3,080-passenger Crown Princess will depart on her maiden voyage to the Caribbean, the first of a summer season of roundtrip New York voyages. Ms. Stewart has been recognized numerous times in her professional career with honors of distinction, including a place among Time Magazine's "America's 25 Most Influential People," Fortune's "50 Most Powerful Women" (twice), Vanity Fair's "New Establishment List of the Top 50 Leaders of the Information Age," and Forbes' Annual 400 List, among others. Princess Cruises President Alan Buckelew says Princess feels privileged that Ms. Stewart has accepted the company's invitation to name Crown Princess. "Martha is truly an icon of style and, undoubtedly, has had more influence on how Americans entertain, cook and decorate and design in and around their homes than almost anyone in history," he said. "We wanted to give the honor of christening our new ship to a woman of exceptional achievement, and Ms. Stewart is certainly that. It is also fitting that she has grown her successful company in New York, the ship's home port."Ms. Stewart stated: "It's a wonderful honor to be invited to christen such a magnificent cruise ship. To be the godmother is an exciting opportunity I'm privileged to accept." From her award-winning magazine, Martha Stewart Living, to her bestselling product lines, Martha Stewart shares the creative principles and practical ideas that have made her America's most trusted guide to stylish living. Millions of consumers rely on Martha Stewart as their arbiter of style and taste and their guide to all aspects of everyday living -- from cooking and entertaining to decorating and home renovating, and much more. Martha Stewart is the founder of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, which encompasses publishing, broadcasting, merchandising, and Internet business segments. The 113,000-ton Crown Princess will introduce a number of new design innovations to the Princess fleet, including a dramatic new piazza-style atrium, new casual dining venues, and a brand new adults-only retreat called The Sanctuary. Within the new street café environment of the atrium, passengers will find an International Café serving up fresh pastries and baked goods in the morning and assorted other offerings throughout the day, as well as a wine and seafood bar. Several signature Princess venues have been further enhanced, including an expanded Sabatini's Italian trattoria with a new piano lounge, and the Crown Grill, a new steak and seafood restaurant with an open, theater-style kitchen where chefs will custom-prepare steamed shellfish and cooked-to-order steaks and chops.The ship will also feature the many hallmark features that define the Princess experience, including the dramatic Movies Under the Stars poolside movie screen, multiple dining and entertainment options, a Lotus Spa fitness center, an extensive children and teen's center, a wedding chapel and nearly 900 staterooms with private balconies.The inaugural 2006 summer season for Crown Princess will feature nine-day roundtrip voyages to both the Eastern and Western Caribbean, and will mark the return of Princess visits to Bermuda, as well as the line's first-ever regular calls to Grand Turk. In the fall the ship will reposition to San Juan for winter Caribbean sailings.Additional information about Crown Princess is available through a professional travel agent, by calling 1-800-PRINCESS, or by visiting the company's website at www.princess.com.

Wouldn't it be nice if , when a cruiseline builds a new ship, they'd develop a list of potential godmothers, and allow their loyal PAX to vote for their preference? It'd feel good to have a say in the choice, since we support these cruiselines with our fares.

As for Rosie, I'd vote for her over Martha "The Felon" Stewart any day. She, at least, works for the betterment of those less fortunate than herself.

Or Oprah Winfrey, who has done so much to help others.

I am not a Martha fan-I think she is a mean spirited person who steps on others to get what she wants. (It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it). Having said that, she didn't do anything more wrong in trading than, say, Hillary Clinton. The problem is that Martha got caught. Yes, she did serve her time and, yes, she may be admired for all her accomplishments, but I feel Princess has a wide field of other more deserving women to christen their ships.

Wouldn't it be nice if , when a cruiseline builds a new ship, they'd develop a list of potential godmothers, and allow their loyal PAX to vote for their preference? It'd feel good to have a say in the choice, since we support these cruiselines with our fares.

I think that’s a great idea – hopefully when you wrote to Princess you suggested that instead of just bashing their choice.

As for Rosie, I'd vote for her over Martha "The Felon" Stewart any day. She, at least, works for the betterment of those less fortunate than herself.

And you realize that Rosie supported Martha’s claims of innocence both during and after her trial.

I think Ted (the swimmer) Kennedy should christen the next ship. Sorry have been trying to resist and just couldn't.

All that said...I was never a huge Martha fan but didn't really dislike her. My feeling is she got a raw deal and did not deserve jail time - a fine...yes but not jail time. People say they don't like her but we don't know her. She does a lot of good things for our economy...provides a lot of jobs and produces affordable products that most of us probably have in our house...towels for Kmart, etc.

But I do agree there are better choices to christen a ship.

We'll isn't this all a moot point anyways?...she's been chosen and that's all there is to it. And truthfully by lamenting about it will only add more media, press, hipe and draw attention to the ship....so all you nay sayers keep up the good work!...My vote still remains for Dick Cheney!:)Tony

We'll isn't this all a moot point anyways?...she's been chosen and that's all there is to it. And truthfully by lamenting about it will only add more media, press, hipe and draw attention to the ship....so all you nay sayers keep up the good work!...My vote still remains for Dick Cheney!:)Tony

I am trying to figure out derf's post on religion. I would guess anyone no matter what religion could christen a ship...

Archived