Pacific Dawn: How obstructed is an obstructed view?

LuckiePuris

Hi, I am enquiring regarding the Pacific Dawn.

I have found quite a good deal for a room with an obstructed view. It is basically the same price as an indoor room.

I don’t plan to spend too much time on the room, so am not really fussed.

I just thought that for the same money, I may as well get one with a partial view than no view.

Does anyone know how obstructed the obstructed view is?

Thanks for all your help!

Happy Cruising!

You would probably have a lifeboat outside your window. Not sure if you get a "look out" view more a look around or down. I could be wrong as I haven't seen cabins like that.

If it is the same price I would definitely go for it. For me the bonus would be having natural light in the cabin. When in an inside cabin you have absolutely no idea whether it is day or night.

I think the best way to answer that is to put it into perspective with some photos.

I presume you are talking about cabins D104-134 on the port side and the same on the other??

Looking at the photos of the deck plans and then the one of the boat taken by a CC member last week in Sydney will give you a fair idea.

viewnm1.jpg

The 2.5 lifeboats you can see are in front of cabins D108-134.

boatsgt4.jpg

I have brightened the image a bit so you can see partial views of the cabin windows behind some of the boats.

As ADF suggested - not the greatest view - but at least you will have some natural light and as the Real Estate agents would say - "glimpses of the sea". :D :)

As ADF suggested - not the greatest view - but at least you will have some natural light and as the Real Estate agents would say - "glimpses of the sea". :D :)

Well, if you got a cabin between D116 and D134 then you would get an unobstructed view on days when teh ship is at anchor and they are tendering people to shore and back

I've been on the Regal Princess 9 times (I refuse to call her the Pacific Dawn until she sails into Sydney). Just got off the 31 day cruise and am still in Sydney. If you can get a cabin for the same price as an interior, go for it. Otherwise, it's not worth the extra expense as you'll get a lifeboat in front of your window. I recall a funny incident one time when I was at the Purser's Desk. A couple was astonished to have a lifeboat in front of their window. The desk said "You paid for an obstructed view". They said, "well, can you move the lifeboat?". They were serious.

Linda

Just make sure that you have the curtians closed when it is a tender port in the morning. You may wake up to a rude awakening.:p Though I did notice that on the Daimond Princess, that some of the cabins had that silver reflecting glass on the windows, so that you could see out, but nobody could see in.;)

Silver reflective (tinted) does work back to front too. When there is a light on in the cabin and dark outside, the view is very public.

Cheers

Geoff

Don't start giving people ideas Geoff!!:p It would become a very popular place at night, not that you could really see properly anyway.

Hi Jarrod,

thanks heaps for the photo! exactly what i was wanting to clarify.

Yes, there is still an obstructed view, but you can still see out the window.

Lol I guess after saving so hard for this holiday, I'd much rather get this obstructed view for a great price and when I want an unobstructed view I can always go out on deck!!

Thanks everyone for all the great photos and advice!!

Don't start giving people ideas Geoff!!:p It would become a very popular place at night, not that you could really see properly anyway.

Nah, just warning not to trust the tint, especially at night. My office is mirror tinted, and know the effect when I work back of an evening.

Cheers

Geoff

• 3 months later...

Hi I have booked an II cat on 2 may cruise on the Dawn,

How noisy is it as I noticed that they tender into port on all but 1 of my port calls.

Is it very noisy on these days ?? Is the cabin outside the tender boats or the life boats are they the same ?

Hi I have booked an II cat on 2 may cruise on the Dawn,

How noisy is it as I noticed that they tender into port on all but 1 of my port calls.

Is it very noisy on these days ?? Is the cabin outside the tender boats or the life boats are they the same ?

From what I saw last week the tenders were at the rear of the ship(both sides),but also remember that the window on the obscured view cabins are set back inside the ship about 3 metre's to allow for the open walkways under the life boats,if you look at the pic posted you will see that the cabin window is set back and when you look through it over the top of the life boat you are also lookiing through the open window of the deck 3 metre's (or maybe a bit less?)away,they are not on the outside of the ship and the light will be darkened by the distance it is away from the outside.Saying all this if it is the same price as an inside without a window I would take it streight away.

Den

Hi, I just got back from Category H i think it was. Obstructed view on Dolphin Deck, on Pacific Dawn.

Yes you do have a lifeboat covering most of your window but you can still see out and see the ocean!

We were lucky enough to have one of the rooms in front of the lifeboat that they always took down to use as a tenders. So every day at an island that used tender, we awoke to a FABULOUS view.

The only thing I would warn you about is that in the mornings when they lower their tender, the chains make a little noise. Not too loud, but as I am a light sleeper it woke me up. Scared me though the first morning! But it was good as my alarm clock!

Also, make sure you shut your curtains before you go to sleep the night before, because there is a walk way outside your window which the P&O staff use to get to the lifeboats. Just incase you wake up one morning and you see someone waving at you!

I have a few photos of the obstructed view, with tender in front and with tender taken down. Will post them when I get home from work.

Happy Cruising!

P.S. Plenty of light gets into the room with an obstructed view. From memory I don't think we really needed to use the light much in the morning or afternoon.

Although, as women, we did use the light even when not needed, to better reapply our makeup!!

Archived