Guide's Choice Photography Discovery

lucy1234

My husband noticed HAL excursion of "Guide's Choice Photography Discovery" in Haines.

He is a pretty good photographer but he never took any lessons or trainings about photography in the past. He uses DSLR cameras and different lenses.

The question is, will this excursion be any help to his knowledge and technique of photography? Can this excursion make him a better photographer?

Thanks.

I believe that these excursions are geared toward taking passengers to out of the way places that most wouldn't get a chance to see otherwise. It's for the opportunity to take pictures you normally would miss.

I'm sure if the guide is a professional photographer they might be able to give your husband some pointers, but these are not photography classes.

I'm travelling on HAL as well, and I know they offer digital photo labs on boards throughout the cruise. He might consider one of these. They are usually free, but fill up quickly... and they are first-come first-served.

We went on the photography expedition to Haines in May and ... well I don't know if disappointed is the right word, more like we felt mislead by the tour description. I think we might have seen a squirrel and 1 eagle, that's about it for wildlife, so that was unfortunate. They seemed a bit unorganized and that could be because it was the first cruise of the year. The weather was fantastic, the guides of the tour were wonderful photographers and people, they did their best to show us a good time and give us pointers. It could have been the time of year, with the lack of wild life, but we thought there would be a lot more to take photos of. Lunch was included and it was fantastic! In the end we got some neat shots of totems and the town. IMO I wouldn't recommend this excursion, and would instead consider the photo tour from Juneau, as we saw some photos that were taken on this tour and it looked amazing! When I go back I will be booking the one in Juneau one for sure.

Definitely not a training course. They are happy to point out things and make suggestions, but expect you to show up with decent gear (generally SLR) and a good understanding of photography. If he has both of those book the one in Juneau, he will love it!

We went on the photography expedition to Haines in May and ... well I don't know if disappointed is the right word, more like we felt mislead by the tour description. I think we might have seen a squirrel and 1 eagle, that's about it for wildlife, so that was unfortunate. They seemed a bit unorganized and that could be because it was the first cruise of the year. The weather was fantastic, the guides of the tour were wonderful photographers and people, they did their best to show us a good time and give us pointers. It could have been the time of year, with the lack of wild life, but we thought there would be a lot more to take photos of. Lunch was included and it was fantastic! In the end we got some neat shots of totems and the town. IMO I wouldn't recommend this excursion, and would instead consider the photo tour from Juneau, as we saw some photos that were taken on this tour and it looked amazing! When I go back I will be booking the one in Juneau one for sure.

I post repeatively, that any "wildlife" tour in Haines is a VERY poor choice. Cruise passengers are out of season. They have one of the latest salmon runs which bring in the bears and eagles. On average, these tours have only the success rate of about 25%, and that includes, as an example, far off "moose" dots, visable via binoculars.

All of Alaska is a "photo" tour. :)

I post repeatively, that any "wildlife" tour in Haines is a VERY poor choice. Cruise passengers are out of season. They have one of the latest salmon runs which bring in the bears and eagles. On average, these tours have only the success rate of about 25%, and that includes, as an example, far off "moose" dots, visable via binoculars.

All of Alaska is a "photo" tour. :)

Exactly, which is why I say we weren't really disappointed, more mislead, because when we talked to the excursion desk we were told there would be wildlife etc. I knew it wasn't going to be, when we got on the ferry and they asked us what we wanted to photograph and we all said "wildlife" and they kinda chuckled. It was still a fun day, but I would not book it again or tell anyone else to book it. It was neat because there were 3 guides and 3 of us!

Most visitors to Alaska have no idea that the wildlife has millions of acres to wander around on and most of it is out of sight of visitors.

I've been photographing Alaska since we used sheet film and flash bulbs. I promise you that in most areas seeing wildlife is situational at best.

Definitely not a training course. They are happy to point out things and make suggestions, but expect you to show up with decent gear (generally SLR) and a good understanding of photography. If he has both of those book the one in Juneau, he will love it!

Is this tour in Juneau?

Photo Safari by Land & Sea

We like this part from the description:

your guide provides expert interpretation while also sharing tips and techniques to enhance your images.

But I couldn't find it in my booked cruise. Do you know it will available later?

I was referring to the one in Haines, about them giving us pointers and such. It was good that way, but by no means a training course. Not sure about the one in Juneau, other then we talked to another guy on our Haines tour who also took the Juneau one and he said it was amazing!

Is this tour in Juneau?

Photo Safari by Land & Sea

We like this part from the description:

your guide provides expert interpretation while also sharing tips and techniques to enhance your images.

But I couldn't find it in my booked cruise. Do you know it will available later?

You can book independently: http://www.stepintoalaska.com/tour_independent_details.cfm?tourid=photosafari

Although I haven't taken the tour, from other reports, it doesn't sound as though there's going to be any workshop, perhaps just some tips. You're going to be transported to locations with good shots, including the whale watching trip so you're guaranteed at least some wildlife shots.

The light in SE AK is very tricky if it's not a sunny day. I'd recommend researching how to deal with that before leaving so you can just shoot, instead spending the tour fussing with exposure trying to get it right.

I've booked the Haines photography tour for next June when I'm on HAL's 14 day Alaska tour. I'm a very experienced photographer but aren't expecting to see much in the way of wildlife on this particular tour (I hope to fly into Redoubt Bay for bear viewing) but would like to get some great landscape shots. I know you can get them anywhere in Alaska but on a photo tour I would expect that you have more time to set up and aren't rushed or taking photos out of windows.

Under these circumstances, Trophy_23, what are your views? Are Haines and the surrounding areas very picturesque or should I change my plans and choose another excursion out of Skagway instead and focus my funds for photography in Juneau and Redoubt Bay?

Bescotti, We were able to get some really scenic shots around town. We made our way out to a lake that was quite pretty, and to a stream. On the way back we stopped at a point and got some great reflections shots in tidepools back towards town with the snowy mountains in the back and they were beautiful. Don't get me wrong.....I don't want to come across like I didn't enjoy the experience, afterall we were out exploring Alaska!!! It was still a lot of fun, but My girlfriend and I just felt a bit mislead by the HAL tour desk on this one, and wanted to give people a heads up. We had the glacier dogsledding flight booked in Juneau or we would have done the Photo Safari there. It had some great reviews from talking to others on the ship! In hindsight we may have gotten more of what we wanted had we done that in Juneau and then the dogsledding in another port. Hindsight is 20/20 though right!! If you want some nice landscapes, some beautiful totems and a really tasty lunch then you will enjoy this without a doubt. If you are after wildlife etc try the Juneau one as they saw some stuff up close!

Many thanks, Trophy, for your reply. I think I'll do both excursions because elsewhere I'll have plenty of opportunities to capture wildlife.

Dogsledding does sound like fun, though, and I hadn't even considered that before!

It is very, very expensive and honestly it really took some convincing by my GF to get me to go on it. Let me tell you I am sure glad We did. It was the experience of a lifetime, from the Temsco Heli flight over the glacier to the landing, to the sledding everything was amazing. It helped that it was warm and sunny too! Have fun up there.

I've booked the Haines photography tour for next June when I'm on HAL's 14 day Alaska tour. I'm a very experienced photographer but aren't expecting to see much in the way of wildlife on this particular tour (I hope to fly into Redoubt Bay for bear viewing) but would like to get some great landscape shots. I know you can get them anywhere in Alaska but on a photo tour I would expect that you have more time to set up and aren't rushed or taking photos out of windows.

Under these circumstances, Trophy_23, what are your views? Are Haines and the surrounding areas very picturesque or should I change my plans and choose another excursion out of Skagway instead and focus my funds for photography in Juneau and Redoubt Bay?

Not sure of pricing on this tour, But, if you are a photographer, renting a car would offer you way more. Pull over and view and photograph what catches your eye. :) Comparing the Haines Highway to the Klondike Highway, I give a BIG edge to the Klondike for drama. :) If going to Skagway is an option with a long port time, that many also be of interest.

http://www.visithaines.com http://www.skagway.com

Based on your information, I think this tour "Guide's Choice Photography Discovery" in Haines is good choice for my husband.

He like to take nice landscapes, not for the wildlife. This tour can take him to some nice place and he can take his time. My son and I don't need to wait for him.

Thanks Budget Queen for your thoughts. As I'm travelling on my own the tour might be preferrable than hiring a car as I'd have someone with local knowledge.

The tour returns to Skagway around 2.30 pm and as we don't sail until 9 pm I'll still have some time to photograph around the Skagway area.

Archived