Vatican Scavi FAQs and Links

cruisemom42

I am excited to have just received confirmation for the Scavi tour in December! Since this topic is frequently discussed here, I thought it would be a good idea to gather the helpful information on Scavi together in one post.

What is the Scavi Tour?

The Scavi Tour is a small group tour, run by the Vatican, that lasts about an hour and a half and covers the excavated area under St. Peter's Basilica, which includes some of the remains of the first basilica (built by Constantine), an ancient necropolis with both pagan and Christian tombs, and the likely tomb of St. Peter. Only about 200 people per day are accommodated on this tour.

The tour does not include St. Peter's Basilica itself or the Vatican Museums.

As of 2008, the cost for the tour is 10 euros per person. Appropriate attire must be worn (shoulders and knees covered); no one under 15 is admitted; it is not recommended for people who are claustrophobic.

Large bags must be checked prior to the tour and no photography is allowed.

How To Get Tickets?

Tickets should be booked as early as possible (at least 90 days) through the Vatican Scavi office. You can make your request by email or fax. Here is a link that explains the process and the details to send with your request. Be sure to include ALL of the information requested.

http://www.stpetersbasilica.org/ (Click on the "Scavi-Necropolis" link for detailed information, including a map of the Scavi)

The email address for requests is: scavi@fsp.va

The fax number is: 39-06-6987-3017

Once you submit a request, you should receive a confirmation from the Vatican office that your request has been received. This is NOT an actual reservation. The reservation itself (if you are lucky enough to get one) will follow. The timing is variable. I received my confirmation in about a week. Others have waited months, particularly if you are requesting far in advance.

After you receive a confirmation, you must pay for your ticket(s) within 30 days using the methods specified in your confirmation email and including your confirmation number.

There is no other way to get tickets other than through the Vatican office. Having a small group and offering a wider range of dates and times seems to increase the likelihood that you will be accommodated.

Where Does the Tour Start?

The tour starts at the Scavi Office in St. Peter's Basilica, which is reached from the left side of the entrance to St. Peter's. About 15-20 minutes before your reserved time, you must present yourself to the Swiss Guard at the left-hand side of the Basilica entrance. In the link given above, there is a map which shows the exact location of both the Swiss Guard who will admit you, and the Scavi office itself. Have your reservation with you and do not be late!

This link shows an aerial view of exactly how to get to the Scavi Office where the tour begins.

http://www.saintpetersbasilica.org/Necropolis/MaptoScavi.htm

And here is a map of the actual excavations:

http://www.saintpetersbasilica.org/Necropolis/Scavi-map.htm

Perhaps someone could post whether the Scavi tour includes all of the areas listed.

I was turned down for tickets on our date. Has anyone had any luck with getting tickets due to other people cancelling?

Would there be any point in going to the Swiss Guard to ask if there were any unexpected openings?

I read on another website that, while it's theoretically possible, the person in question had tried this several times (as a single) with no success. If you are a larger party, I would think your chances would be slim indeed.

Still, if you are going to be there anyway, there's no harm in enquiring.

I was turned down for tickets on our date. Has anyone had any luck with getting tickets due to other people cancelling?

How did you know you were turned down? Did you receive an email or was it just because you were never asked to submit payment for the dates/times you requested? I have been trying for a date in January 2009 since March and have never received an answer. I finally resorted to sending a written request through the mail last week, as a last resort.

First I received an email verifying my request. The two weeks later, I received an email saying that my date was already full.

Since we are on a private tour, it might be for the best as it would have complicated the guide's timing.

Thank you for answering. I had never heard before that anyone actually received an email stating a date was already full. I have only received the email verifying the receipt of my request. It has been over a month and no second email has arrived.

I'll probably incur the wrath of several Vatican Scavi tour fans, but on our last trip to Italy, I can tell you that this tour was an enormous disappointment for us. We found the catacombs tours to be much more interesting and dramatic. The Vatican Scavi tour was so slick it reminded us of Disney World. The only good point was that we were left in the Vatican at the end of the tour and didn't have to stand in line to get in.

Whatever you do, take a catacomb tour! It is SO much better than the Vatican Scavi tour in my opinion!

I'll probably incur the wrath of several Vatican Scavi tour fans, but on our last trip to Italy, I can tell you that this tour was an enormous disappointment for us. We found the catacombs tours to be much more interesting and dramatic. The Vatican Scavi tour was so slick it reminded us of Disney World. The only good point was that we were left in the Vatican at the end of the tour and didn't have to stand in line to get in.

Whatever you do, take a catacomb tour! It is SO much better than the Vatican Scavi tour in my opinion!

It all depends on what you are interested in, I suppose. I am extremely interested in seeing the remains of Constantine's basilica and the early Roman necropolis, and the Scavi tour is currently the only way to do that.

(I've done the Catacombs and, while interesting, I wasn't overly impressed; I do hope this is a bit different....)

Thank you for answering. I had never heard before that anyone actually received an email stating a date was already full. I have only received the email verifying the receipt of my request. It has been over a month and no second email has arrived.

lambs2, I read on another travel website that the Vatican office sometimes holds onto these requests for quite a while. Could be that they haven't started officially notifying people about 2009 tours yet? Or have you heard of others in 2009 that have gotten a confirmation?

lambs2, I read on another travel website that the Vatican office sometimes holds onto these requests for quite a while. Could be that they haven't started officially notifying people about 2009 tours yet? Or have you heard of others in 2009 that have gotten a confirmation?

I'm in the same situation as lambs2. Maybe it is too early, I don't know. I have read a couple of posts with confirmations for 2009, this one for example.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=14293925&postcount=25

I'm going to try again, probably in a couple of months, and see if I have any more success.

I'm in the same situation as lambs2. Maybe it is too early, I don't know. I have read a couple of posts with confirmations for 2009, this one for example.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=14293925&postcount=25

I'm going to try again, probably in a couple of months, and see if I have any more success.

Let us know if you ever do get an answer, Sparky1664. I promise to do the same. Since I have already sent two emails AND a letter there really isn't much else I can do without becoming an irritating pest, and I read that is a sure way to get rejected or at least just to never hear back from the Vatican....

I too applied about 6 months prior to our cruise and 4 days before our flight over I heard from them and we were accepted. I had to rearrange our private tour guides, but it all worked out well. So don't worry if you don't hear for a while.

I thoroughly enjoyed this tour. It actually gave me goosebumps to be down there and see the street and the tombs, etc.

It was chilly down there and we were there in early September when it was still 90 outside. Also, if you are afraid of closed in spaces, this is not the place for you. We had 1 man back out when we entered the first room where they closed the glass doors. It is a very tight space.

Everyone who is going, enjoy. I would do this tour again.

Loved it.

Cheryl

I requested via email a couple weeks ago for a tour Novermber 5th and got a confirmation on October 4th. Next, I had to contact them to arrange payment which I chose to do via email and credit card. Now, I am waiting for confirmation they have accepted payment and for final instructions.

My reason for wanting to do this is to see and honor the burial site of the first Pope and somebody who actually knew Christ. For others who do not share that interest, I highly recommend you read the story about the discovery and excavation of the Scavi on the stpetersbasilica.org website.

It is an amazing story from both a historical and psychological perspective. The mystery surrounding the remains and what people throughout the ages did to protect them and why they made those decisions is a good study in human behavior.

lambs ..lambs...lambs!

I'm so excited, I'm shaking here & close to tears. I can't quite believe it. I've received confirmation of the scavi tour. :) :) :)

Like you I have sent 2 emails. It has been 5 months since the last one, so I guess it was just a waiting game.

All my fingers and toes are fully crossed for you now.

lambs ..lambs...lambs!

I'm so excited, I'm shaking here & close to tears. I can't quite believe it. I've received confirmation of the scavi tour. :) :) :)

Like you I have sent 2 emails. It has been 5 months since the last one, so I guess it was just a waiting game.

All my fingers and toes are fully crossed for you now.

congrats!! So glad it worked out. The inner workings of the Vatican are mysterious, but all's well that ends well.

I will post a review of my Scavi tour in early December, I hope others will post theirs here too.

Thank you cruisemom.:)

I also managed to track down a copy of The Bones of St Peter...John Evangelist Walsh, sometime ago now for a reasonable price..but wouldn't even open it. Something akin to the umbrella syndrome I suspect. (If you carry one it won't rain, if you forget it you will be in for a downpour!)

I will make a start on it tonight. :)

Congratulations, Sparky1664. You are so fortunate! Guess DH and I are striking out for the second time (no go in 2007 either) as I requested an end of January 09 date back in May. I did send a letter, too, besides two emails, but I read they don't like folks to ask too much, and I may be in that category... :o

Thanks for that, it confirms what I had suspected - that we might enjoy the catacombs more. Can you tell me a little more about each tour? We don't really need to see the tombs of any one particular saint, I guess we would prefer to see a dark, dramatic necropolis that is closer to the state it would have been centuries ago, and not so much cleaned-up and beautified for tourists.

Thanks for that, it confirms what I had suspected - that we might enjoy the catacombs more. Can you tell me a little more about each tour? We don't really need to see the tombs of any one particular saint, I guess we would prefer to see a dark, dramatic necropolis that is closer to the state it would have been centuries ago, and not so much cleaned-up and beautified for tourists.

Well.....if you mean centuries ago when the necropoli were made, they would have been pretty well kept. The Romans tended the burial places of their families much as we would today.

At any rate, I will be doing both the Scavi and at least one of the catacombs in December, so I will be sure to compare the two.

lambs2.

Yes, I really do feel fortunate. I absolutely know what it feels like to hear that others get their booking so easily and to hear nothing for months & months. I know what you mean about trying too hard too. My plan was to

try again November/December time, & if that failed, to try here, a site I stumbled across & bookmarked whilst researching:

http://www.goporta.com/tickets/Necropolis_ticket.html

Not fully sure if it's the same thing but it sounds like it, if the site is trustworthy, & yes I know there is a mark up on the tickets but that is absolutely nothing compared to visiting Rome & missing out altogether.

Hope it helps,..but also hope you don't need to use it. :)

I've just received confirmation for the Scavi Tour for May 16, 2009----I'm so excited!!! I also, e-mailed them a couple of times---but was starting to lose hope based on some of the postings here. It definitely is a hit and miss kind of thing. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the rest of you!!

Kathy

Congrats to all who got their tickets.:) I still haven't signed up because I need to know how strick they are with the age requirement. by the time we go I will have an almost 15 year old, short about 3 months. So I dont know how to go about it or if my 16 year old and myself go while my husband stays with the other son. Dont know if it is that great to actually split us up, or will they ask my very big son how old he is??? :rolleyes: We dont like to lie. Anyway does anyone know about this?? :confused: Thank you

Archived