Volcano National Park

sunshine!

Our family will be on the POH in July. We are thinking about doing the VNP excursion through the ship. Is there anyone that can tell me what time during the day they schedule this excursion? I can't seem to find it on the NCL website.

We're on the Regal Princess and I needed to know the time of an excursion. I just called Princess and they told me prior to my getting my Documents. You could try that or go to other Boards listing the Park and ask those who have already taken the excursion with NCL. Princess has 2 excursions of about 4 hrs each leaving late morning.

Sorry I don't know what time the excursion leaves, but have you considered renting a car. Most all of the rental companies have shuttles from the pier to their offices at the Hilo airport and you just pick up the car, turn left after leaving the airport and VNP is about 28 miles south. It might take about 45 minutes driving time. Cost is probably $50 at most and you have so much more freedom than a tour.

I would like to rent a car, but my husband is a little apprehensive about it because he his not familiar with the island. He is afaid the ship will leave without us if something goes wrong and we can't make it back on time, such as, getting lost or having car trouble. How hard is it to get lost and will someone from the rental car agency come get us if we do have car trouble? What is your experience with renting a car and driving to VNP?

I would like to rent a car, but my husband is a little apprehensive about it because he his not familiar with the island. He is afaid the ship will leave without us if something goes wrong and we can't make it back on time, such as, getting lost or having car trouble. How hard is it to get lost and will someone from the rental car agency come get us if we do have car trouble? What is your experience with renting a car and driving to VNP?

Frankly,these concerns are unfounded. It is absolutely simple to get to VNP. Thrifty had very nice maps- printed bookets for every island available at the rental office. Head to your library and take out Frommer's And Fodor's Hawaii books.

The GREAT benefit of going on your own is the ability to get all the way into the Park, plenty to see and do, and again. VERY VERY easy drive. A significant savings with a car rental. http://www.nps.gov/havo/

Driving to VNP from the Hilo Airport (rental car pick-up locations) is SO easy. Exiting the airport you will make a left onto the main road. Stay on that road for about 40 minutes and the next turn you will make will be another left into VNP at the park entrance!! There are probably only 5 or 6 traffice lights along the way (most in Hilo) and the road all the way is nicely paved.

Once in the park, you are given a great map for driving around the park and there are plenty of park rangers to answer questions and point you in the direction you want to go.

Either way....an organized tour or a rental car....VNP is a must-do! Have fun!

The link is for the drive guide map of Hilo to the Volcano. Drive Guides are given out for free at the rental agencies or you can order them on line for $4 each. http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/big_island_hilo_volcano.html

Just wanted to add that on 7 trips to the Islands, we've usually rented cars. Only the last trip did we forego car rental in Hilo to just go in to town and see the Tsunami Museum. We always ask when we rent the car, when will the last shuttle be to the ship and try to be back for the one before that. Don't know that I've ever seen any posts here of someone not making it back in time for the ship's departure. Of course one of the benefits of the ship's tour is that the ship will probably wait for you should you not make it back in time, or maybe even take you to the next port.

Volcano National Park is a must see.

Click to Enlarge

<a href=2731491930079335670pgPULq_th.jpg' alt='2

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/directions.htm

http://www.nps.gov/archive/havo/images/lava_20060620_view.pdf

Sunshine, I have received my traveled documents for POH I leave May the 7th. I have the Shore Excursions forms and pricing sheet that they send out with all of the other documents. The tour last 4 3/4 hours. And they leave at 2 different times. The first time is at 9:AM and the next time is at 12:PM. The cost is $49.00 for adults and $39.00 for children.

If you or any one else would like to know about any of the other tours just ask and I will let you know.:)

Last time I was in Hilo, I rented a car and drove my father and my two kids to VNP. Very easy. Much cheaper than the ship's tour. The quality of the tour guide makes all the difference on the ship's tours. If the person is knowledgeable, the extra cost is worth it. IF NOT, the rental car offers the flexibility of going when and where you want. The roads are well-marked and the maps are adequate. Unless you have problems reading maps and street signs (my daughter and best friend are HORRIBLE!), then the ship's tour might be for you.

A poster on another thread said that Thrifty offered GPS for $9.99 extra per day. Might be worth the extra cost for the secure feeling!

Pat

I totally vote for renting a car.

It was *way* easy to get around Hilo, and up to VNP. We watched the bus tours around VNP and often commented that we were so glad we had a car. We could stop when we wanted, for as long as we wanted - skip other things, explore a little. It was very nice having that freedom.

We found a neat little place for lunch on the way back - couldn't tell you the name of it to save my life, but when you see the food/lodging sign suggesting a left hand turn just a few miles outside of the VNP entrance... take it, and at the next intersection you'll see it - a little market and restaurant. Great pizza. :D (couldn't get that with a tour bus!!)

Another vote for the car rental. I'm a complete white-knuckle driver -- I was really nervous about driving up a volcano, but it's not bad at all. The elevation is only about 4000 feet -- it's a slow, steady climb on a straight, wide road -- a very easy drive.

To rent or not to rent a car to go to Volcano National Park.

There is so much time wasted (in my opinion) getting to the agency, renting the car, and then returning it and getting back to the ship... and you are not that long in Hilo..... I Vote for doing the Cruiselines Shore Excursion. The drivers narrate with thier own personal touches, telling you interesting facts, intejecting thier local native expereinces. 4 1/2 hours Very Well spent.

I'd rent a car on Maui and Kauai thou. :-)

Maybe we can just keep suggesting to rent a car and eventually he'll do it. It doesn't take long to get picked up at Hilo to go to the airport to get your car. You can go when you want to go (if someone is ill, you shouldn't get charged for the car, but I would call them and let them know). You don't wait in a bus for 40 people for the last two (always the same ones) to get back on each time.

As a poster above stated, there are several places to eat in Volcano. If you take the tour, you'll eat from a buffet at Volcano House (you should go there for the view). You can stay in the Visitors' Center or at any other place as long as you wish.

If someone is over 65, have them take their Golden Age Passport from the National Park Service and get the car in free.

If something should happen to the car (unlikely, since they are fairly new and kept in good working order) the people of Hawaii are very kind - I'm sure you could get a ride back to the ship from practically anyone going back to Hilo (and the road is fairly busy, so there will be a lot of people). If you are a AAA member, perhaps you might enjoy looking at the map of Hawaii, but you can't get lost. Rent and enjoy. Nancy

Another vote for rent a car. We did it in every port except kona, and I wished I had there too. You can go at your own pace at VNP. Be sure not to miss the lava tube. We brought along our own portable GPS from home which gave me peace of mind but we did not need it. Very easy to get around on the islands. We did not book a single excursion through the ship. You can book your own and still have money left over to pay for the rental car.

:confused: Are there any independant tour people waiting at the pier when you arrive and if so does anyone know how much it would cost to go to the volcano?

Cost per person or for the van?

We were planning to do this on all the islands. Going on the Summit on Nov 9/07

Thanks

Sherrill

Hey Sherrill,

We are Ontario cruisers also. We live in St. Catharines, Ontario...I would like to know the answer to that question also...

These boards are fantastic!

When are you cruising and on what ship? I know we can get taxis in Oahu. Will go to the Arizona. Kaui I would like to go to the Iao needle so need pricing. The other day there we will see the local sights and go to the beach Kaanapali. Hilo National Park for sure. Kona we will do the shuttle.

Hard to plan. Just waiting to hear from people about the prices of taxis or tours at the wharf. We never had any problems in Soth America or on the Panama cruises. Always lots of people waiting at the docks.

I really don't want to do the ships tours

Sherrill

Sherrill,

We are going on the PofH May 21/07...less than 6 weeks to go!! We are renting cars everywhere but Kona. This was the one and only ship excursion I booked through NCL. The Captain Cook Monument snorkle.(I am never sure if it is spelled snorkel or snorkle...that might be the Canadian coming out in me!!) Everyone on these boards raves about it and we love to snorkle. After that I think we might just go back to the ship and relax because I have my DH on the go in every other port.

I just really like the idea of having the rental car and have full control of how long we stay at each spot and not having to wait for the rest of the folks on a tour.

I was just wondering about a private tour of VNP...to make sure we go to the right spots to see the lava flows up close.

Debbie

Mine was $42 for the day -- also with Thrifty Blue Chip -- and we had a Dodge Magnum. We also paid $13 to take a cab to the airport rental counter rather than wait for the shuttle -- lots of people were in line for the shuttle -- we were leaving the airport in the rental as the first shuttle pulled in ;) . We were in Hilo for such a short time and had so much to see that it was worth it to us!

Debbie,

We will be getting on POH when your getting off 5/28/07 (not trying to depress you).;) Is Thrifty the cheapest rental car on Hilo?? And, just because I'm curious...how much is gas in Hawaii?? I was also wondering about a private tour at VNP, but figure if I'm desperate, I can follow a tour group (from a respectable distance of coarse )and never making eye contact with anyone on the tour. Hey, I'm sure many have done the same. But really, I think the talking is free it's just the ride that the tour groups pay for along with food. Hmmm....no, I'm not even going there. Claudia

Archived