An awesome pre-cruise option before an Alaskan cruise - Whistler, Canada!

Coral

I recently returned from 2 weeks on the Sapphire Princess (Coastal and Mexico). I had been to Vancouver many times and really didn't want to spend extra time there before the cruise. A friend recently came back from spending a few days in Whistler and highly recommended it. So, I changed my flight and went to Whistler for 3 days before our cruise. Well - I wished that I had spent a week there (or longer). To be truthful, I wished I lived there!

After struggling with a hotel choice (there are so many great ones to choose from) - I ended up with Pan Pacific Whistler Village. I wanted to stay at the Fairmont but there was a large convention there and since I was only going to be there a short time, I wanted to stay "in the Village".

I sort of knew that Whistler was a skiing resort but had no idea the excellent options that they had during "non snow months". From what people told me, Whistler has as many visitors during the summer months as they do in the winter months.

We took a shuttle bus to Whistler (http://www.perimeterbus.com/ ). In the summer, they use smaller busses compared to in the winter. There is currently construction on the road as they are working on the road for the 2010 Olympics (skiing portion will be in Whistler). It took about 3 hours to get to Whistler and 2 hours coming back (less construction on weekends).

We were very pleased with the Pan Pacific Whistler Village but I have no doubt I would have been pleased with a dozen other hotels there as most receive very high ratings. We were pleased with the restaurants we ate in. Many were running $40 - $50 pp specials for 3 and 4 course meals at very nice restaurants! The funny thing is that this is the only place I know in the world where one can eat in a 4 or 5 star restaurant in casual clothes! Everyone is casual in Whistler!

The people in the village were extremely friendly and helpful! The shops were fun to go through. The hiking paths were gorgeous. I could go on and on. It is definitely a place where the whole family could have fun as it very "family friendly". It was also very "pet friendly" as a lot of the hotels accomodated pets and there were dog water bowls at a lot of the restaurants.

I live in the "heartland" in the US and the vast majority of my friends have never had of Whistler (they will soon with the Olympics in 2010). All I can say is that I wished I had heard of Whistler when I was going to Alaska every year.

If you are planning a trip out of Vancouver and have a few more days to spend vacationing - I strongly recommend the trip to Whistler! My only regret about going is that I didn't know about it sooner and that I didn't stay there for a longer time.

Glad you enjoyed it. We were in Vancouver pre-cruise for 2 days in July. Since my son had never been there, we focused on the city instead of Whistler. I really wanted to go to Whistler's downhill mountain bike park; we have one here in California at the Mammoth ski resort (now under same ownership as Whistler). But it's a 6 hour drive so we only go once or twice a year. Oh well, next time....

Whistler has become an all year round recreational area, with lots of spring, summer and fall activities. There are 3 golf courses at the mountain and 2 more in the area, water sports, hiking trails, biking, tennis and sking on the glacier. It is very much worth a trip in the summer pre or post cruise but you do need to add two extra days to your itinerary.

I have just come back from my first B2B cruise which my boyfriend was to come on with me but had to go back to Australia:(

We managed to have a couple of days in Vancouver and took the train up to whistler and a float plane back down.All i can say is wow we loved it and we were so lucky to have fantastic weather;)

Cheers Sue.

I really wanted to take the train as I hear the views are lovely but the train time didn't work with our schedule. Good thing there is always a next time!

I thought the fall activities were fabulous! I only wish I was a week or two later as the colors were starting to change and I have no doubt it was going to be gorgeous with the fall colors!

Archived