Whitehorse?

GORDONCHICK

We have rented a car while in Skagway and could drive to Whitehorse if it's warranted. What's up there to see?

I would only drive as far as the Carcross Desert and Emerald Lake . Whitehorse is about 4 hours north of Skagway. There isn't a lot to see between Carcross and Whitehorse.

Yes , Whitehorse has a lot to see but it can't be done in one day .

The scenery definitely drops off after Emerald Lake, and is real dull in my opinion between there and Whitehorse. I've driven there several times, twice for the Harley Shop and obligations for the husband I left home. :) There is a Walmart- that isn't the most diverse. Fast food. The Paddlewheeler whose history, I've forgotten?

Whitehorse has three museums that are open. There is show presented at one of the hotels it's for supper only. Also the rapids (can't remember the name ) south of town. Not a lot to do in a very short time of a couple of hours.

Whitehorse and Dawson City are included in the HAL Yukon itineraries and you need to be able to spend some time there. There is plenty to see if you just go as far as Emerald Lake and you won't be rushed.

These stops are only on the Yukon cruise tours - most of which cruise just a few days between Skagway and one or two ports south. IMHO they do not offer enough cruise time to relax and too much land travel (plane, bus, and train) to enjoy it.

They do have a 20 day Yukon tour that starts in Vancouver, flies to the Yukon (Whitehorse I believe) then to Dawson and Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, Seward, and back to Vancouver on the ship.

These stops are only on the Yukon cruise tours - most of which cruise just a few days between Skagway and one or two ports south. IMHO they do not offer enough cruise time to relax and too much land travel (plane, bus, and train) to enjoy it.

They do have a 20 day Yukon tour that starts in Vancouver, flies to the Yukon (Whitehorse I believe) then to Dawson and Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, Seward, and back to Vancouver on the ship.

Between Dawson City and Fairbanks used to be 2 or 3 days of wasted time. They now fly from Dawson to Fairbanks by charter airline.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

We did the cruise tour 8 years ago when it bused to Chicken, Tok, Eagle and took the Yukon Queen on the Yukon River to Dawson City, bus to Whitehorse and on to Skagway via Lake Bennett and the White Pass Railroad.

Four years ago we wanted to repeat the tour but they had taken out the Eagle stop and the Yukon Queen so we went across the Top of the World Highway and the ferry to Dawson City then resumed the same itinerary as the prior trip.

This year we are going again even though they fly from Fairbanks to Dawson City so that we will miss Chicken and Tok. There is no longer the stop at Lake Bennett which was one of the highlights of the trip. Our itinerary includes 3 days in Denali and two nights in Skagway. Even with the flight to Dawson City for two nights there does not seem to be much time for the optional excursions that were available on the previous two trips. One night in Whitehorse is plenty for me but I do enjoy Dawson City and could spend more time there.

The bus trips are not that bad as there are comfort stops every two hours and the bus drivers keep us entertained with Alaska and Yukon stories. We'll see how the flight works out.

I'm wondering if HAL will drop the Yukon itinerary and let their GrayLine of Alaska division handle it as an add on. Maybe then they can get back to the more inclusive itinerary of 8 years ago.

We did the cruise tour 8 years ago when it bused to Chicken, Tok, Eagle and took the Yukon Queen on the Yukon River to Dawson City, bus to Whitehorse and on to Skagway via Lake Bennett and the White Pass Railroad.

Four years ago we wanted to repeat the tour but they had taken out the Eagle stop and the Yukon Queen so we went across the Top of the World Highway and the ferry to Dawson City then resumed the same itinerary as the prior trip.

This year we are going again even though they fly from Fairbanks to Dawson City so that we will miss Chicken and Tok. There is no longer the stop at Lake Bennett which was one of the highlights of the trip. Our itinerary includes 3 days in Denali and two nights in Skagway. Even with the flight to Dawson City for two nights there does not seem to be much time for the optional excursions that were available on the previous two trips. One night in Whitehorse is plenty for me but I do enjoy Dawson City and could spend more time there.

The bus trips are not that bad as there are comfort stops every two hours and the bus drivers keep us entertained with Alaska and Yukon stories. We'll see how the flight works out.

I'm wondering if HAL will drop the Yukon itinerary and let their GrayLine of Alaska division handle it as an add on. Maybe then they can get back to the more inclusive itinerary of 8 years ago.

I doubt HAL is going to back up with their cutbacks. :( They've been doing it with their cruises as well, cutting out College Fjords and the less than ideal changes they have made to their round trip 14 day Seattle cruises. Princess has pulled out of their Prudhoe Bay cruise tours as well. These are all costly options, that overall, are better independent in some cases, and apparently not the market. I've flown to Dawson City twice, indeed it's a great place to spend a few days. Just can't really describe it. When there- it's another "experience". :)

I have been in areas- Deadhorse, Coldfoot and Dawson City as example, when the cruise tour buses were there and always- there were some very unhappy people who clearly, didn't know what they purchased. So may be another reason, for the business decision.