Priceline v Hotel packages-San Pedro

JJ2sail

Here is my comparison of Booking thru hotel versus Priceline and associated costs. I understand there can be variables, but I thought this would be a good guideline. Basically the only time it is cheaper to book a hotel package is if you are going on a 14 day cruise and are driving to the port.:)

The Crowne Plaza and Double Tree have similar packages my figures are based on the Crowne Plaza. All based on two people.

CP- Park and Sail Package

1 night hotel (2 persons)

2 cocktails

2 buffet Breakfasts

Parking up to 15 days

Shuttle to Cruise terminal

$189.00 plus tax aprox. $215.00 Total

CP- Fly and Sail Package

1 night hotel

2 roundtrip airport transfers- via Primetime shuttle

2 cocktails

2 buffet breakfasts

$229.00 plus tax aprox. $261.00 total

Park and sail on your own- booked thru Priceline

1 night hotel- secured at $65 a night ($77.00 w/tax)

2 cocktails ($11.00)

2 Breakfasts ($25.00)

Parking add on at Crowne Plaza $10 per day

Total cost- 3 day cruise $143.00 - 4 day cruise $153.00 -7 day Cruise $183.00

14 day cruise $253.00 (package thru hotel would be a better deal).

Fly and sail booked on your own:

1 night Priceline hotel ($77.00)

2 Roundtrip airport shuttles thru Primetime ($74.00)

2 cocktails and 2 breakfasts ($36.00)

Total cost $187.00 (Less if you skip breakfast and cocktails);)

Thank you for posting this! I was just going to ask here if anyone had heard if we could park at the Crowne Plaza (for a fee) if we didn't do a park and sail package. I just called them again and the person there told me that if I didn't book a park and sail package (pre-cruise) then I would need to park at the port. In other words, they weren't a "public parking garage". :rolleyes: So, I've been hesitant to bid on Priceline knowing if would won it, I would need to park at the port terminal lot. BUT, reading here it looks like I CAN park at the Crowne Plaza after all! Did you find out this information recently? I would rather park there than the port lot if I can. It's covered parking. And, I won't need to worry about driving. I prefer the free shuttle.:D Anyway, with this phone call call, now I wonder if I can or cannot park there for 7 nights if I book it on my own.

I really like Doubletree, too, and their parking is free. But, right now it seems Crowne Plaza is the hotel being won on Priceline. Well, I'll have to see what looks to be the best deal and most convenient.

Here is my comparison of Booking thru hotel versus Priceline and associated costs. I understand there can be variables, but I thought this would be a good guideline. Basically the only time it is cheaper to book a hotel package is if you are going on a 14 day cruise and are driving to the port.:)

The Crowne Plaza and Double Tree have similar packages my figures are based on the Crowne Plaza. All based on two people.

CP- Park and Sail Package

1 night hotel (2 persons)

2 cocktails

2 buffet Breakfasts

Parking up to 15 days

$189.00 plus tax aprox. $215.00 Total

CP- Fly and Sail Package

1 night hotel

2 roundtrip airport transfers- via Primetime shuttle

2 cocktails

2 buffet breakfasts

$229.00 plus tax aprox. $261.00 total

Park and sail on your own- booked thru Priceline

1 night hotel- secured at $65 a night ($77.00 w/tax)

2 cocktails ($11.00)

2 Breakfasts ($25.00)

Parking add on at Crowne Plaza $10 per day

Total cost- 3 day cruise $143.00 - 4 day cruise $153.00 -7 day Cruise $183.00

14 day cruise $253.00 (package thru hotel would be a better deal).

Fly and sail booked on your own:

1 night Priceline hotel ($77.00)

2 Roundtrip airport shuttles thru Primetime ($74.00)

2 cocktails and 2 breakfasts ($36.00)

Total cost $187.00 (Less if you skip breakfast and cocktails);)

We added the parking on for $10 a day in February with no problem. We went on the four night cruise again in June and we got the CP again, on Priceline and our friends got the Doubletree.

We decided to just park at the port, but our friends left their car at the Doubletree and there was no charge! I really don't know why the CP would not let you add parking, it was offered to us by the parking attendant.

Well, when I called and talked to another person at CP, her answer was that they can't always guarantee there will be a place to park. I told her that I never had this problem before when it was a Sheraton. She just said there could be a convention or something and encouraged me to book the Park and Sail package. HA! Not if I can get it on Priceline for $65! :p

Anyway, since we've stayed at the Doubletree the last two times, I just went ahead and booked that for $143.10. At least I know the parking is free and it will be about the same $$ as CP (with a parking charge, either thru them or the port.)

We added the parking on for $10 a day in February with no problem. We went on the four night cruise again in June and we got the CP again, on Priceline and our friends got the Doubletree.

We decided to just park at the port, but our friends left their car at the Doubletree and there was no charge! I really don't know why the CP would not let you add parking, it was offered to us by the parking attendant.

BINGO! Why do I need to stuff myself with a breakfast buffet an hour or two before we embark on a ship just in time for the lunch buffet!? :p And, that's just the beginning when it comes to buffets all week! :eek: We also don't need the free drinks. Since the shuttle and parking is complimentary, all I need is a clean, comfy room for the night. No add-on frills. I'm saving my money for the cruise, itself. :cool:

Since DT doesn't charge for parking or the shuttle, it seems almost pointless to pay for expensive breakfasts/drinks. I guess most people aren't aware of their already free parking/shuttle, so they'll often pay for the Park and Cruise package.

Okay, over at CP, it's a different story. No free parking. So, Priceline sounds like the way to go. Park at the port or in their lot if they have a space available. Do without the frills. And, if you don't HAVE a car, even better! Just get a room for $65+ and you're set! I sure wish I could be assured that DT would be the hotel I got through Priceline like it used to be. Would be sooooo much cheaper.

one additional thing to note is that the Doubletree doesnt have a charge for parking each night, while CP does...one way to save some $ if the breakfast and stuff that comes with the packages isnt necassary

We may try the DT this December. I did not realize the parking was free there until a few weeks ago. CP parking is free for the night you are staying there, but then charge you to park while on the cruise. Just wanted to clarify that.

We are trying to decide between the Doubletree and Crowne Plaza for our Feb. cruise. I've never done anything on Priceline before. Do you find out which hotel you get right away? Is there no way to decline once they assign you a hotel? How is Priceline able to give prices so much cheaper than the hotel itself? $65 is so much cheaper than what the hotels are offering, it just seems to good to be true?

Pam

We are trying to decide between the Doubletree and Crowne Plaza for our Feb. cruise. I've never done anything on Priceline before. Do you find out which hotel you get right away? Is there no way to decline once they assign you a hotel? How is Priceline able to give prices so much cheaper than the hotel itself? $65 is so much cheaper than what the hotels are offering, it just seems to good to be true?

Pam

I'll try to help you out. I've used Priceline on several occasions and have been extremely satisfied.

• You do find out which hotel you receive immediately, if your bid is accepted
  • Since you have to register with a credit card, it's non-refundable
  • I received the CP for our Oct cruise for $65. I've heard that the DT is a tad nicer, but for the price, location and 1 night stay, it's perfect
  • Realize, that the bed situation is usually 1 king. I've always requested 2 beds by calling the hotel directly and they've complied, but there's alway a chance that they don't.
  • The CP has a shuttle to the pier and to local spots within 5mi radius
  • My "guess" is that the way they're able to sell the rooms for a good price is that they're selling in advance (guaranteed occupency) and using your money in the meantime:confused:

Good luck on whatever you decide.

I tried to get Crowne Plaza for Sept 30th, and was told there weren't any rooms available, so ended up with Holiday Inn on Gaffey. I hope I will not be disappointed. Are there any restaurants close by and also a place to get wine and bottled water...in walking distance? I sure hope so. How is the neighborhood? We will be sailing on the Golden to Hawaii the next morning.

afcj1,

Thanks for the reply. That reassures me about how it works. I think I'll give it try. It doesn't make sense to pay $150 or more when you can get the same thing for $65. Have you used the LAX super shuttle? If you have, does it pick up at the pier for trips back to LAX also or does is just run to hotels?

Appreciate the advice!

Pam

afcj1,

Thanks for the reply. That reassures me about how it works. I think I'll give it try. It doesn't make sense to pay $150 or more when you can get the same thing for $65. Have you used the LAX super shuttle? If you have, does it pick up at the pier for trips back to LAX also or does is just run to hotels?

Appreciate the advice!

Pam

Hi Pam,

I would suggest that if you decide to try Priceline, that you attempt to secure your room ASAP. There have been folks reporting back that the CP is either booked or not accepting their bids, for their particular dates. If your bid isn't accepted you can bid again after 24hrs. If you have another email address, you'd be able to bid again, if you set up another account with that email. Use $5 increments and be patient. Also, know what the cheapest price is on line for that particular area/hotel.

Super Shuttle will pick you up at the pier. I've already reserved both ways. Here is another thread with some discount codes:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=813558

There have been a lot of threads lately for restaurants, where to buy sodas, beer and wine (offthevine) and things to do (curt jerome wild aka "CWJ"), so "cruise" the boards and enjoy.

Annette

• I'm seriously jealous! That's the cruise I want to take---roundtrip to Hawaii. I don't care for flying and I love all the sea days. My daughter and I sailed on the Golden Princess last April out of San Francisco, roundtrip for 10 days to Mexico. Enjoy!

We will be sailing on the Golden to Hawaii the next morning.

It's definitely a deal if you don't have a car to park, particularly.

I loved it when I used to win bids on the Doubletree for anywhere from $45 to $75. The parking is always free, as are the shuttles. So, it was an awesome deal! I sure wish DT was still the hotel for Priceline. Oh, well! I'm staying there, anyway. It's about the same as Crowne Plaza even if I won a bid for $65 plus tax there at CP. After you add in the $10 a day parking it works out to be about the same, give or take.

But if you don't have a car---go for the Priceline bid for CP! :)

afcj1,

Appreciate the advice!

Pam

Thanks for all the advice and experience! How did people ever prepare for cruises before the internet??? And Cruise Critic people are always so helpful!!! I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Pam

It's definitely a deal if you don't have a car to park, particularly.

I loved it when I used to win bids on the Doubletree for anywhere from $45 to $75. The parking is always free, as are the shuttles. So, it was an awesome deal! I sure wish DT was still the hotel for Priceline. Oh, well! I'm staying there, anyway. It's about the same as Crowne Plaza even if I won a bid for $65 plus tax there at CP. After you add in the $10 a day parking it works out to be about the same, give or take.

But if you don't have a car---go for the Priceline bid for CP! :)

Just to let you know, that the DT still does come up on Priceline, but not as often. On our June cruise, my friends reserved one room on Priceline and got the CP, but then added two more people, so they went back online and ended up getting the DT, maybe the same day or day before.

They ended up with one room at each hotel.

Well, I did the Priceline thing and did get the Crowne Plaza for $65 plus taxes! Seriously, that is over half the price of what is offered through the hotel online. That just amazes me! I sure appreciated all of your advice, as I was kind of chicken about doing it. February seems like such along ways away now:-)

Pam

Well, I did the Priceline thing and did get the Crowne Plaza for $65 plus taxes! Seriously, that is over half the price of what is offered through the hotel online. That just amazes me! I sure appreciated all of your advice, as I was kind of chicken about doing it. February seems like such along ways away now:-)

Pam

Congrats! It really is a nice hotel, I don't think you will be disappointed.

• 1 month later...
I am a Priceline veteran, but a newbie to this port. How do you bid to get the CP or Doubletree?

Area? Star level?

Thank you!

Just enter San Pedro, 3*. There are no 4*'s listed, so I believe that these are the only 2 that will come up if you win.

The usual amount to start @ is $65 and go from there. There have been a lot of winning bids at that amount, but as you know there are a lot of different variables.

Good Luck:)

I see everyone talking about Priceline, but because of a bad experience I had with them in the past I would rather not use them. Has anyone had any experience or luck using Hotwire to get cheap rooms in this area?

Yes, I've used Hotwire. I think I got the Crowne Plaza also on Hotwire, for around $75-$80

Yes, I've used Hotwire. I think I got the Crowne Plaza also on Hotwire, for around $75-$80

Thanks! i think i might try that. Right now im booked on the QM, but if it saves me almost $100 (it came out to like $170) i think im gonna cancel my reservation.

• 3 weeks later...

What did you and your friend bid for the hotels through Priceline?

Archived