Rhapsody of the Seas vs Norwegian Pearl - Alaska

I am interested in some objective opinions on these two ships. I am currently booked on the Pearl, but at this point in my "cruising career" have no hard fast allegiance to any particular line. The trip will include myself, DGrandmom (86), DDs (9, 7 and 6). Because of frequent flyer miles, we have to leave out of Seattle.

Thoughts?

I did the Pearl cruise to Alaska a few years ago with my two oldest daughters. Here is a link to my review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1221177

I really enjoyed the Pearl and my parents went on to cruise that same trip 3 more times. Do you have any specific questions or concerns? If your kids are interested in the kids club, I thought it was very well run and my girls still talk about it to this day, so it was a fun part of their trip. I am not a fussy cruiser, so I try not to get too critical about any one thing. I still have pictures of us in front of the glacier on our digital frame and our excursion into the Canadian mountains is one of the best day trips we've ever taken. I would go back just for that trip.

Our first Alaskian cruise was on the Pearl and we had a wonderful time. Since the week is so port intensive, we didn't do much more than eat/sleep on the ship & catch an occasional evening show. The freestyle cruising was great -- appreciated the flexible dinner times and not needing to pack formal wear. BTW, if you like French food, consider paying the surcharge for the Bistro.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I am interested in some objective opinions on these two ships.

Thoughts?

I have to first admit I am biased to Royal for many reasons over other lines including NCL, but I wish to add something that many people I find do not factor in when I read discussion of ships. I've sailed the Pearl from Vancouver down to LA, and Rhapsody twice to Alaska...

You're in Alaska for one main reason imho... the scenery and the views. For this reason alone and most importantly, change over to the Rhapsody. The site lines on the Pearl are awful!

Rhapsody: When standing on top deck 11/jogging track/etc. You have basically a full 360 degree view of everything expect for the mast area aft and the front upper area of the ship. The railings are only about waste high with no glass interfering with your view or pictures. There is glass only at the front of the ship about eye height

Pearl: The middle section (pool) of the ship is a hole... looking front you stare at a big square box of suite rooms. Looking straight ahead, you miss everything from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock if not more. Looking behing you is the same thing. So when you go up front, you cannot see anything behind you as you sail paste, let alone the galss panels and railings are over head high. At least the rear of the ship is excellent at the cafe out back with open views, On Rhapsody you can walk from railing to railing, back to front, with everyone else with cameras having a ton of room, and being able to view everything in front and behind as you sail by.

I will post a few pictures shortly so that you can have an idea of what I'm saying above.

Here's a few Pearl pictures. Not my best photos, but I picked these really quick over the past few minutes because I think they show you best what I'm saying in my post above....

Here's the pool deck from one of the highest points that you can be... what do you see when you look forward for your view of where you're going? What view?? And notice how high the railings and glass are all around on top deck

Pearlpooldeck_zps27d83643.jpg?t=1391832425

And one deck higher, this is the very highest point of the entire ship, a suntanning deck with loungers

Pearlverytopdeck_zps5fd6f5a1.jpg?t=1391832399

And here's the front of the ship and everyone trying to get a photo of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Fran... note the height of the railings and glass and of the people hanging onto the poles in order to see anything or even get a half decent photo.... this could be you in Alaska as you miss a pod of Orcas swimming by

Pearlfrontofship_zpsb80193b3.jpg?t=1391832375

And here's the absolutely best area of the ship at the rear as we were heading/turning under the Bay Bridge

Pearlaftdeck_zpsacfb82ee.jpg?t=1391832347

Rhapsody pool deck... Note the open views, note how easy to see all the way around other than the rear mast/Viking Crown Lounge area. Note the height of the railings in comparison to those of the Pearl

RhapsodySeattle2_zps857a7a1b.jpg?t=1391832602

Leaving Seattle... you can see everything in all directions

RhapsodySeattle1_zps1faf2ee7.jpg?t=1391832635

Front of the ship.... this RCL worker is about 5 foot 6 inches. Note the height of the railing/glass in comaprison to the 6 foot guys on the Pearl and those climbing up the poles.

RhapsodyfrontinSeattle_zps41d489d1.jpg?t=1391832577

Sailing through Tracey Arm

RhapsodyTraceyArm2_zps66de29e5.jpg?t=1391832819

Another inside Tracey Arm facing away from the Glacier loking back down the Fjord

RhapsodyTraceyArm1_zpsc5744c9f.jpg?t=1391832689

Because of the height of the railings and glass on the Pearl, I would not have been able to take these photos if I were on the Pearl:

Rhapsody front of ship entering Tracey Arm early morning

DSC03459_zpsf91c5816.jpg

Getting close to the end of the Fjord

DSC03475_zps1dea77cc.jpg

A view off the side of Rhapsody leaving tracey Arm

DSC03578_zps3942c543.jpg

And lastly this one off the back of the ship

DSC03603_zps5f01ede1.jpg

The site lines when sailing into and out of port, let alone specific cruises like Alaska where the scenery is of utmost importance, are extremely important to me. For this reason alone I will have a very very difficult time booking an NCL cruise ever again in any part of the world.

Just my 2 cents :)

My family sailed to Alaska on the Pearl and loved it. I didn't notice the restrictive sight lines that some have commented on. We never felt that we couldn't enjoy all the views Alaska offered. I've never been on the Rhapsody, so can't comment on it. That being said, we also enjoy cruising on Royal. Bottom line, I would not hesitate to recommend Pearl to Alaska. Enjoy your trip!

My family sailed to Alaska on the Pearl and loved it. I didn't notice the restrictive sight lines that some have commented on. We never felt that we couldn't enjoy all the views Alaska offered. I've never been on the Rhapsody, so can't comment on it. That being said, we also enjoy cruising on Royal. Bottom line, I would not hesitate to recommend Pearl to Alaska. Enjoy your trip!

I think the photo of the people with their arms stretched out above them trying to get a good photo says it all....