Which cruise line for the Baltic?

sjde

I don't think so, I think the Royal Princess is too big.

I think the Eclipse is close to the limit while the Royal Princess is sligthly above the limit.

The issue is not the berths themselves but the sail-in through the archipelago where some passages are too narrow for the new Royal Princess.

Here is the approximative route for the biggest ships: http://kartor.eniro.se/m/vChxM

There is a few intersections along the way at which I am not certain about which alternative they use but the biggest ships will have to use Furusundsleden (the fairway via Furusund)

Ahh, I was thinking of the likes of Grand & Crown, smaller than Eclipse. Royal is indeed just a little bigger, longer, and broader.

Flipping the map linked by Desdichado62 to satellite view (click on flygfoto) shows how attractive but narrow & tortuous the sail-in.

JB :)

Ahh, I was thinking of the likes of Grand & Crown, smaller than Eclipse. Royal is indeed just a little bigger, longer, and broader.

Flipping the map linked by Desdichado62 to satellite view (click on flygfoto) shows how attractive but narrow & tortuous the sail-in.

JB :)

That map is awesome.

Next year it appears the Princess will be sailing the Regal - which I assume is a sister of the same size because they are not showing it going all the way into Stockholm on the itineraries.

Desdichado62 - since that sail in looks so difficult and it's a tight squeeze for the larger vessels that can make it through - is there anymore likelihood that those vessels wouldn't give it a go if conditions were not desirable, whereas a smaller one with more margin for error would sail in?

That map is awesome.

Next year it appears the Princess will be sailing the Regal - which I assume is a sister of the same size because they are not showing it going all the way into Stockholm on the itineraries.

Desdichado62 - since that sail in looks so difficult and it's a tight squeeze for the larger vessels that can make it through - is there anymore likelihood that those vessels wouldn't give it a go if conditions were not desirable, whereas a smaller one with more margin for error would sail in?

Possible, I don't know to exactly how much margins there are but it happens a few times every year that the weather

makes it to difficult for ships to attempt a sail in (or sail out) through the archipelago.

If I remember it correctly, last year one of Aida's ships had to postpone it's departure from Stockholm due to heavy winds.

Also I think there was a smaller ship, possible Saga Ruby, which also were delayed because of the weather/winds.

So small ship is perhaps not a guarantee against complications from bad weather.

Also you have to have in mind that the cruise ships uses a pilot for the sail-in sail-out and sail-out

so the decision is taken by the pilot if the conditions allow the ship to sail-in/sail-out.

I have been pointed to some info about the limitations for ships into/out from Stockholm through the archipelago.

Wind restrictions (for the northern fairway via Furusund):

For piloted ships with a length greater then 300m:

An individual decision for each ship/time will be taken by the pilot.

For piloted ships with a length between 245m and 300:

When average winds is between 12m/s and 15m/s, the Swedish Maritime authority will make a judgement

regarding the ship in questions possibility to navigate through the fairway.

When the wind average wind speed exceeds 15m/s no piloting will be performed.

For piloted ships with a length between 175m and 245m.

the same as above.

For ships with a length less then 175m

Generally there is normally no restrictions.

Limited visibilities:

For piloted ships with a length greater then 300m:

Individual decisions when the visibility is less 500m.

For piloted ships with a length between 245m and 300:

If it is limited visibility for the major part of the distance between Tjärven (lighthouse) and Stockholm no piloting will be commenced.

If only partially limited visibility, the pilot will make a decision of it is possible to commence/continue the piloting.

For ships with a length less then 175m

Generally there is normally no restrictions.

For non-daylight voyages the restrictions are pretty much the same.

http://www.sjofartsverket.se/sv/Sjofart/Lotsning/Lotsomraden/Lotsomrade-Stockholm/Riktvarden--restriktioner/Farledsbegransningar/Stockholm/Furusundsleden-Vind--Morker/

Also regarding the Royal Princess and her size.

For ships sailing through Furunsleden (Fairway via Furusund) the size restrictions is that the length X width (beam) cannot exceed 12000.

The Royal Princess have a size of 12540, the Eclipse have a size of 11729 so the RP are just above the limit while the Eclipse is just below it.

http://www.sjofartsverket.se/sv/Sjofart/Lotsning/Lotsomraden/Lotsomrade-Stockholm/Riktvarden--restriktioner/Farledsbegransningar/Stockholm/Riktvarden-Fartyg-ej-tankfartyg-Stockholm/

Thanks this is really interesting - the larger vessels allow for pilot discretion, but mid-size are determined by the Maritime Authority.

We're on what I believe is a midsize - Marina is 785 feet = 239M.

Oh well, Stockholm is disembarkation for our cruise - know we'll get there - some way or another. Hopefully for the two days we have planned. For us, it was the most important city on the itinerary.

Edited by buggins0402

Back to the OP's original question

#1 has to be itinerary. As was said you must have at least 2 days in St Petersburg to do it any justice.

#2-price. If money isn't a big concern, then just skip this and move on to #3

#3 Where the ship leaves from is also a big thing. It is easier to get to say London than to Copenhagen or Stockholm, but less Baltic cruises are leaving from British ports these days.

#4 Where the ship docks at Stockholm. Personally, I would avoid any ship not docking directly in Stockholm.

From being on these boards for several years, I think I can say all the cruise lines do a good to very good job of sailing the Baltics. So, which brings us right back to #1, pick an itinerary that you will greatly look forward to.

Cheers

Len