Need Some Help from the Experienced

markpc17

So, here's my situation. Want to sail on NCL. Married with two children(12+). Would like to get a room for us the adults and one for the children.

Now I realize (or I think) policy is NCL wants someone over 25 in each room so my thought was we split the adults up. Then just reshuffle once onboard.

However, I get the UBP with my booking in one of the cabins. So, how can I get both adults receiving the UBP if I end up putting one of us adults in the inside cabin with a child to satisfy NCL's age requirement?

Anyone know how this game of room jenga could work?

Thanks.

So, here's my situation. Want to sail on NCL. Married with two children(12+). Would like to get a room for us the adults and one for the children.

Now I realize (or I think) policy is NCL wants someone over 25 in each room so my thought was we split the adults up. Then just reshuffle once onboard.

However, I get the UBP with my booking in one of the cabins. So, how can I get both adults receiving the UBP if I end up putting one of us adults in the inside cabin with a child to satisfy NCL's age requirement?

Thanks.

Interesting question curious to see the answers

I believe the age is over 21, not 25, but I also think that in your situation, it's OK to have the kids in a separate room as long as they as connecting or neighboring rooms. Then you'll have no problems with the UBP.

Call NCL and ask your PCC or try an online chat for a definitive answer.

Thanks.

You can't. FWIW, the "adult in the cabin" requirement is waived if the rooms connect. We had connecting balcony cabins for several years. I don't know if that is in your budget or not, but it's worth looking in to.

Well, I just did this last week. I called, told the rep my situation, me and 3 son's sailing, ages 21, 18, 16 at sail date, but wanted UBP for me and 21 year old, UDP for younger 2 in separate cabin, connecting. She did it by fudging the DOB on one of the younger 2, making him old enough to have another cabin. She says when I go to check in online, I need to change his DOB back to the real one, which will cause my docs not to print for that cabin. Then I call NCL and they will email docs. Honestly, this is making me so nervous I'm considering calling back and changing the whole thing to just put us all in one cabin and call it a day. Or move the 21 year old into the other cabin? I could swear the age was 21 for that, not 25. Is this right?

Has anyone else had their booking done this way, with the wrong birth date? And did it work? I have this nightmare that they cancel my second cabin when I change it and then there's no quads. I wish I could afford a suite, but I can't, and 4 adult sized people, with 3 of them being messy man children, in a regular cabin, is not so fun.

Well, I just did this last week. I called, told the rep my situation, me and 3 son's sailing, ages 21, 18, 16 at sail date, but wanted UBP for me and 21 year old, UDP for younger 2 in separate cabin, connecting. She did it by fudging the DOB on one of the younger 2, making him old enough to have another cabin. She says when I go to check in online, I need to change his DOB back to the real one, which will cause my docs not to print for that cabin. Then I call NCL and they will email docs. Honestly, this is making me so nervous I'm considering calling back and changing the whole thing to just put us all in one cabin and call it a day. Or move the 21 year old into the other cabin? I could swear the age was 21 for that, not 25. Is this right?

Has anyone else had their booking done this way, with the wrong birth date? And did it work? I have this nightmare that they cancel my second cabin when I change it and then there's no quads. I wish I could afford a suite, but I can't, and 4 adult sized people, with 3 of them being messy man children, in a regular cabin, is not so fun.

YES, I have the same exact situation for our upcoming cruise in 1.5 weeks! We originally had one balcony booked for the 4 of us (myself, husband and 2 children both age 11). I was paid in full but when the promos came out for free UDP, UBP, or OBC, and the price went down on my cruise, I figured it could not hurt to call and ask... I got very lucky and was offered the opportunity to get adjoining/connecting (whatever you want to call them) staterooms for just a few hundred more (great deal!) plus add on the UBP. However, since we had to put one adult in each room, only one of us (adults) would get the UBP. It was our phone rep's idea to change the birthdate of one of our kids. She said that it was ok to do this and all it meant was that I could not check my kids in online. I checked myself and my husband in online in our room and I have the paperwork for my kids for their room and will have to do it at the port when we get there (and switch my daughters birthdate to her real birthdate at the terminal). I was feeling nervous about this too until someone posted a few weeks ago that they had the same experience with their family and that it was no problem for them!

YES, I have the same exact situation for our upcoming cruise in 1.5 weeks! We originally had one balcony booked for the 4 of us (myself, husband and 2 children both age 11). I was paid in full but when the promos came out for free UDP, UBP, or OBC, and the price went down on my cruise, I figured it could not hurt to call and ask... I got very lucky and was offered the opportunity to get adjoining/connecting (whatever you want to call them) staterooms for just a few hundred more (great deal!) plus add on the UBP. However, since we had to put one adult in each room, only one of us (adults) would get the UBP. It was our phone rep's idea to change the birthdate of one of our kids. She said that it was ok to do this and all it meant was that I could not check my kids in online. I checked myself and my husband in online in our room and I have the paperwork for my kids for their room and will have to do it at the port when we get there (and switch my daughters birthdate to her real birthdate at the terminal). I was feeling nervous about this too until someone posted a few weeks ago that they had the same experience with their family and that it was no problem for them!

Thank you, all this cloak and dagger stuff is making me nervous.

Thank you, all this cloak and dagger stuff is making me nervous.

I agree. I felt the same as you and was considering changing it so that I was in one cabin and my husband was in the other and I was just going to have him get the UBP but then I saw the review from someone saying they had no problem and that made me much less nervous. I will see if I can find it for you.

Wow .. Id still be nervous .. I hate to say that , but the NCL reps have a pretty bad reputation for telling you what you want to hear .. You say that someone has already pulled this technique off ??

Please come back and tell tale of how smoothly this went . Im sure there are many others in your situation that what love to hear all went well... ;)

Good luck..

Wow .. Id still be nervous .. I hate to say that , but the NCL reps have a pretty bad reputation for telling you what you want to hear .. You say that someone has already pulled this technique off ??

Please come back and tell tale of how smoothly this went . Im sure there are many others in your situation that what love to hear all went well... ;)

Good luck..

I thought about that too but I was not speaking to a regular rep. Initially I was, but she transferred me to a supervisor because the changes we were making were a little complicated. I have everything in writing and all of the correct charges have gone through on my credit card (and I am bringing copies of everything to the terminal). I don't know how to link from the other thread but if you go to the thread called 'Booking room with kids' started on Feb 5 and go down to posts 10 and 11 by asdjl, you can read about his experience.

I called, told the rep my situation, me and 3 son's sailing, ages 21, 18, 16 at sail date, but wanted UBP for me and 21 year old, UDP for younger 2 in separate cabin, connecting. She did it by fudging the DOB on one of the younger 2, making him old enough to have another cabin.
You should not have to do this if you have connecting cabins. The rule is (source):
Company policy dictates that a passenger under 21 years of age must be accompanied in the same or connecting stateroom by a passenger 21 years of age or older at the time of embarkation.

If I were you I would ask them to put your son's real birth date back and see if any red flags come up. According to their rules you should be fine without falsifying personal information (which would make me nervous, too), and you should be able to get the promo packages you want for both cabins.

You should not have to do this if you have connecting cabins. The rule is (source):

If I were you I would ask them to put your son's real birth date back and see if any red flags come up. According to their rules you should be fine without falsifying personal information (which would make me nervous, too), and you should be able to get the promo packages you want for both cabins.

Yeah, the rep said it's allowed, but the computer system won't book it if there is not someone at least 21 in the cabin because the computer doesn't recognize adjoining cabins. So this is their workaround.

Yeah, the rep said it's allowed, but the computer system won't book it if there is not someone at least 21 in the cabin because the computer doesn't recognize adjoining cabins. So this is their workaround.
:eek: Of all the possible explanations, I think this has to be the most disappointing.

I don't know why they even bother with this rule, since they positively encourage people to ignore it once onboard. And in principle, a group of friends 19 and 20 years old couldn't go on a cruise at all on NCL. I wonder now if they really turn away those bookings, or if they just enter fake IDs to fool the computer. :mad:

NCL requires that anyone under 21 get the soda package if anyone over 21 gets the UBP, so I would say that you shouldn't have a problem with the promo as long as your kids get that. Then just switch when you get there if you want to take the chance. Sounds like adjoining rooms are your best bet.

:eek: Of all the possible explanations, I think this has to be the most disappointing.

I don't know why they even bother with this rule, since they positively encourage people to ignore it once onboard. And in principle, a group of friends 19 and 20 years old couldn't go on a cruise at all on NCL. I wonder now if they really turn away those bookings, or if they just enter fake IDs to fool the computer. :mad:

I really don't mean this in a "fighting" tone but, why does this disappoint you and make you mad?

We booked connecting rooms on the NCL Jewel that sails in a few weeks. We had to book the rooms with 1A and 1Kid in each room (kids are 14 & 17). We were told (on the sly) that we'd need to book one room with the UBP and one with the UDP. But once we were on board my husband would buy me the drinks and I'd buy him the dinners. Same for my kids. Anyways, in the long run I still get to drink free and my husband can still dine in the specialty restaurants with no extra charge.

Hope this helps.

I hope that all of those who have done this are correct in stating it was OK to provide information at booking that is incorrect.

I woud have reservations of "fudging" information on anyone that does not match the pre-boarding information. You need some type of documentation such as a passport unless you are going to the Bahamas.

If your pre-board information is different than what is presented at check in-how does NCL resolve this?

Will NCL put this in writing? Be cautious if you are dealing with TA's or NCL reps.

I hope this works out for you.

We booked connecting rooms on the NCL Jewel that sails in a few weeks. We had to book the rooms with 1A and 1Kid in each room (kids are 14 & 17). We were told (on the sly) that we'd need to book one room with the UBP and one with the UDP. But once we were on board my husband would buy me the drinks and I'd buy him the dinners. Same for my kids. Anyways, in the long run I still get to drink free and my husband can still dine in the specialty restaurants with no extra charge.
Unless the entire restaurant and bar staff is in on this, I can't imagine that that is going to work out as smoothly as you just described it… Please report back after your cruise, I think a lot people could be interested in this!

I was suspicious of this too until I reread it. I think she's saying she will have to pay for drinks, (no UBP), and her husband will have to pay in the specialty restaurants, (no UDP). :confused:;):p

No, I think she thinks that her husband will be able to get her free drinks on the sly and she will be able to get him free dinners at the specialty restaurants. While I can see the possibility of getting away with the drinks, I do not see how that can possibly work in the specialty restaurants.

Obviously my post was confusing. According to tje ncl rep my room has 2 udp options that I and my husband can use vs myself and son. Conversely my husband's room has the 2 udp options. He can order me the drinks. Maybe not 2 at once but one after another.

If my ncl rep has steered me wrong, let me know.

Obviously my post was confusing. According to tje ncl rep my room has 2 udp options that I and my husband can use vs myself and son. Conversely my husband's room has the 2 udp options. He can order me the drinks. Maybe not 2 at once but one after another.

If my ncl rep has steered me wrong, let me know.

Well, he can but it's technically not allowed. I think maybe the rep was trying to tell you that on the sly.

And wild horses would not drag my opinion on that matter out of me. Haha! World War III always ensues when this sort of topic comes up. My advice to you, do whatever you're comfortable and happy with and never ever talk about it here on this board. Either way. :p