Montreal hotels/pre-cruise

Bruin Steve

Never been to Montreal. We're booked on the Maasdam next July 22, starting in Montreal, ending in Boston 7 nights...

Haven't booked air yet, but figuring on flying in on July 19 in order to give us two full days to see a little of Montreal before the cruise...So, it would be three hotel nights.

I've seen some recommend the Springhill Suites Old Montreal...Cost, based on today's exchange rates, for 3 nights on an AAA rate is approximately $733. Is that good for Montreal? Good location? Any other recommendations for hotels? Is three nights a reasonable time frame for Montreal...or too long/too short?

Thanks...

Hi,

Staying in Old-Montreal is a prime location...so expect to pay a premium for that.

The hotel you picked is a very very very nice upscale place in Old-Montreal. Location near the Pier is a bonus.

2017 marks the 375th anniversary of Montreal...an other reason the hotel is more expensive ( check the Town of Montreal website for info on all activities later in 2016 ).

Your specific dates are also during the "Just for laugh Festival" http://www.hahaha.com/en/montreal-festival , check the website around mid december for all listings and shows...you might want to see something !

Mid July is also known for being busy with other festivals too...

It will be a busy year, busy summer and expensive to stay in Montreal...

Is 2 days enough, too long, too short... It depends on what your interests are...but there is PLENTY to see and do in the Greater area of Montreal...

You can ask your questions in the "Everything Montreal" thread also.

Planning is half the fun, right ?!?

IMO, you really need three nights in Montreal, because your first day will be spent in the air getting there from California. That leaves two days to see everything, and there is a lot to see in Montreal. We spent two nights in Montreal at the end of our first cruise there, but last year we decided to spend three nights (we live in California, too) before our cruise.

We have stayed at the Nelligan Hotel twice, but we are staying at the Springhill Suites before our cruise next May. It gets really good reviews here on Cruise Critic. Also, the Springhill Suite's rate includes breakfast, which can save you a bundle.

Do not miss walking along Rue St. Paul in the evenings. When you leave your hotel, turn left and go one block. You'll see lots of outdoor restaurants, lots of people. It's been a fun way for us to spend the first night in Montreal.

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

Well, we booked it...

Flying in on the 19th (Wednesday)...Flight leaves LAX 9:45 am, nonstop, arrives YUL at 6:07 pm...Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights at the Springhill...board the Maasdam on Saturday...

I am assuming restaurants are open decently late on Wednesday night (of course, assuming we eat around 8:00 pm, it's really only 5:00 pm our time)...

Hi,

Montreal has restaurants in the "Canada's top 10 restaurant" list every year, and in the "World's top 100" also...

Suggestions :

Toqué, http://restaurant-toque.com/en/dinner-menu , very upscale restaurant. Expect a 350$ CDN bill for two including wine ( if you choose wisely ) and service.

Joe Beef, http://joebeef.ca/ , THIS is THE restaurant I would recommend to you. It can be fully booked 6 months in advance ( it is on the World's best list ) The 2 owners/chef are just great guys !!!

Park, http://parkresto.com/?lang=en#main , for the best new world sushi. Again the owner/chef/creator is so simple...but a genius !!

Au pied de Cochon, http://aupieddecochon.ca/?lang=en , in a very friendly environment, with a chef who LOVES the regional products. Expect a 250$ bill for 2 with a "reasonable" wine bottle and service.

Le Bremner, http://crownsalts.com/lebremner/index_en.php , from the world famous chef Chuck Hughes ( tv persona and official Chef for the Osheaga music festival, etc...) Situated in Old Montreal and specialized in all things from the ocean. Expensive but said to be amazing.

If you DO NOT want to plan ahead, get the DINR free app,http://getdinr.com/ , for your phone. Select city of Montreal and each day the best restaurants in Montreal post their last minute openings ( they DO NOT have openings every day ) due to cancellations of other reasons. So on the spesific day you are in Montreal you check the app and book it as soon as you see an opening because it goes fast !!!

And, finally, if you want to experience 2 of Montreal's signature dish :

Poutine ( "National" dish ) the best poutine IMO ( I tried many many...too many...places ) it's Poutineville, http://www.poutineville.com/en/home.html , hundreds of possibilities and just really great.

Smoke meat ! There are 2 types of smoked meat, the one you can find almost every where in Montreal in about any fast food restaurant ( really really good and so tender ) and the other kind, served in the iconic restaurant http://schwartzsdeli.com/ca/en/ , ( owned by the late Rene Angelil, now by his wife Celine Dion ) visited by the Rolling Stones every time they are in town ( rumors say they even have it deliver when they are in north eastern USA ) and many many celebrities when on tour in the city. NOT a fancy restaurant at all, shared tables, line of people on the streets every day during peak hours...I went and it is a must if you like that kind of meat !!!

Dozens of great restaurant are located in Old Montreal a few steps from your hotel...don't worry we will feed you ;) I am not aware of a single tourist who left Montreal hungry !!!

Have fun !

Well, we booked it...

Flying in on the 19th (Wednesday)...Flight leaves LAX 9:45 am, nonstop, arrives YUL at 6:07 pm...Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights at the Springhill...board the Maasdam on Saturday...

I am assuming restaurants are open decently late on Wednesday night (of course, assuming we eat around 8:00 pm, it's really only 5:00 pm our time)...

No problem with that time.

I have a suggestion for you. We recently cleared customs and immigration in Montreal (Boston-Montreal-Vancouver.

It was a nightmare. The lines started at the arrival gate and the process took more than 90 minutes.

If at all possible, look into getting Nexus passes or possibly Global Entry. I'm not sure if GE works in Canada. Nexus will be well worth it any time you pass through customs in or out of the US.

I have a suggestion for you. We recently cleared customs and immigration in Montreal (Boston-Montreal-Vancouver.

It was a nightmare. The lines started at the arrival gate and the process took more than 90 minutes.

If at all possible, look into getting Nexus passes or possibly Global Entry. I'm not sure if GE works in Canada. Nexus will be well worth it any time you pass through customs in or out of the US.

Apparently Global Entry doesn't work coming into Canada.

Like I wrote in an other thread on this board, if you come in Montreal between 3pm and 8pm expect a 2 to 3 hour delay to clear the custom. It's been a problem for the past 3 weeks and we don't see how it will get resolved if the Gov. of Canada doesn't change anything in it's budget cut...

Yes, Nexus works here in Montreal !

Before next July, find out where your cruise ship docks. Right now there's a new temporary (but may become permanent) terminal up north! Cruise lines don't seem to be up to date, and who knows if the cabdrivers are!

The new and improved terminal in Old Montreal will be ready early May for the start of the new cruise season here in Montreal but the "temporary" terminal being used this year will become permanent...somewhere around March the port of Montreal will issue the schedule and docking numbers for the 2017 season...check it to make sure where you will be...

The taxis are very aware of the "temporary" terminal...yesterday about 100 cabs showed up at the terminal for the Veendam and, as a manifestation against the new law that permits Uber to operate in the province, they refused to take passengers for a couple of hours...they eventually did but that caused a delay for a lot of people.

Today they, the association of taxi owners, have a meeting at 2pm to vote on a 6 day strike sometime soon in Montreal...that would mean NO taxis in the city for 6 days...only Uber

I will keep you posted on that strike !

till then, have fun !