AA/BA Princess AirTickets question

jonikal

We have purchased return tickets for our flights through Princess which are now official as we are within 45 days of travel. It is an AA ticket but equipment is BA both ways. Since it is an AA ticket, I contacted the airline to see whether we could upgrade and was told that since it was a bulk ticket and they have no way of knowing what the cost of the ticket is, that they could not upgrade and we were told to contact Princess air. Before spending another lengthy wait to speak to someone at Princess (this morning was over one hour and the person I spoke to put me on hold 4 times) can someone enlighten me whether it is even possible to upgrade Princess-issued airline tickets through Princess air?

Upgrade using what? AA miles? BA Avios? US Dollars? Hungarian Forints?

Funny! Actually I could do any of those including ducats. Just appreciate knowing whether an upgrade is even possible to obtain thru Princess which you didn't answer.

We have purchased return tickets for our flights through Princess which are now official as we are within 45 days of travel.

That is not the determinant of whether you have a ticket or not. Unless your records show a 13 digit ticket number, not a six character locator, you are NOT ticketed. Only that 13 digit number is evidence of actual ticketing.

You may have PAID for the ticket by the 45 day mark, but that still doesn't mean it is issued.

It is an AA ticket but equipment is BA both ways. Since it is an AA ticket, I contacted the airline to see whether we could upgrade and was told that since it was a bulk ticket and they have no way of knowing what the cost of the ticket is, that they could not upgrade and we were told to contact Princess air.
Ah, the joys of cruiseline air. "But it's the same flight". As you have discovered, bulk/consolidator/negotiated tickets have far different fare rules than published fare tickets bought directly from the airline.

Before spending another lengthy wait to speak to someone at Princess (this morning was over one hour and the person I spoke to put me on hold 4 times) can someone enlighten me whether it is even possible to upgrade Princess-issued airline tickets through Princess air?
If would completely depend on the fare basis and fare rules for your specific ticket. Unless you know those, it's impossible for anyone to answer with 100% certainty. However, since AA has already said "No" to the upgrade request, and because most all coach bulk tickets are non-upgradable, I would wager that the likelihood of Princess waving a magic wand and getting a different answer is somewhere between nil and zero.

BTW, since you were interested in upgrading, you did check the fare rules for your ticket before you bought it - correct? So you knew in advance what the procedures are and if your fare basis would be applicable for upgrading - right? And you didn't just buy the Princess ticket on price - true?

When you booked the ticket is when you should have upgraded. In the drop down you can choose 4 different classes including business and first. Now you have buyers remorse. This is not a Princess issue / you should have bought the class you wanted when you purchased. Not sounding harsh, just stating facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just appreciate knowing whether an upgrade is even possible to obtain thru Princess which you didn't answer.

But since you haven't answered what method you're looking to upgrade how can we answer the question.

Between AA miles, AA SWUs, cash, BA Avios etc. etc. there are many different ways of upgrading all with different restrictions.

Just because someone else could upgrade their Princes Air tickets means nothing as far as if you can upgrade your Princes Air tickets. I believe Princess Air can sell both bulk and non-bulk tickets.

I think you'll need to call Princess to find out about your specific ticket. It may be possible that if Princess hasn't actually issued the ticket that they can change things. Only one way to find out for sure.