vow renewal on RCCL

gurkleo

Has anyone renewed there vows on the RCCL Voyager? We are planning our 25th with our daughter and husband in August and would like to know more details. Is it worth it, who takes care of details and any more information would be great> :)

:) Hi

First I would to congratulate you on your future anniversary and best wishes to both of you.

My DH and I will be celebrating our 10th Anniversary and plan on renewing our vows on Voyager as well in July.

I just started to do my research and found some information on the RCI site. (Link listed below)

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/weddings/home.do;jsessionid=0000NZu6ytTuw8xPghd1dyfCrHO:vnkcfnbg

Here's a phone number for you to call as well with questions:

Free Phone in the U.S.A 1-888-WED-RCCL (1-888-933-7225)

I called them before and they emailed me a Word document of their wedding/vow renewal brochure. I had some questions answered but not the ones that I really wanted. From what I gathered you can't have any ceremonies while you are at sea or on a formal night. My anniversary falls on a day that we are in port and most likely it will be a formal evening. I sent an email (royalromance@theweddingexperience.com) to find out how that will work, etc. You may want to try and send an email as well. I'm also reading threads to gather more information.

Hope this will help you with your research and best of luck to you.

Take care,

Trish

Trish, thanks for the info. I checked out the site you mentioned. I also emailed that address. I don't know if I can justify the $400.00 for the actual renewal. I would really want to do this on our Anniversary which is Aug 3. Our daughter and husband will be joining us and it would mean alot to mean. You can't turn back the clock and say should have, could have, but didn't. I wish you the best as well. What are your sailing dates.

Regina

:) Hi Regina:

The actual price is $500 since Voyager is a larger ship... go figure! It's not posted on the web site (which I think it should be) and I found this out through the agent at the wedding planner department.

I received the contract via email and read it. From what I gathered so far.... there is no guarantee that we can renew our vows on our anniversary (July 22). There are no ceremonies on formal nights nor days at sea. From viewing the itinerary, we are in port that day but most likely it will be a formal night since our cruise will end on Sunday. Not sure if they can do this for us or not. I'll attach a note and ask and hope for the best. We won't know anything until a few weeks prior to the cruise but will do what I can and just keep my fingers crossed.

Barry and I do plan on doing this since it's been a dream of ours since the day we were married and we've been talking about it for nine years! LOL I think it's extremely over priced for a renewal but not much you can do about it. I plan on wearing my wedding gown again so this will be extremely special to us.

We are cruising on July 15 to July 24 on Voyager. Looking forward to seeing this ship since we've never been on it.

Good luck and if I find anything else out I'll let you know.

trish, Thanks again for responding. From what you have told me, the only time you can have the renewal done is when they are in "port". Is that correct. I really want to do it on our anniversary. Maybe we should just see how things go. Do you know if they can do last minute renewals. thanks again.

regina:)

Hi Regina:

Nice to hear from you again. Glad I'm able to help you out.

The rules state that no ceremonies will be done on a sea day nor on a formal evening but "will be done in port". My question is... we are in port on our anniversary and most likely it will be a formal evening so can we/can't we have our vows renewed? RCI does not provide a lot of information which is annoying... especially when you are paying $500! I wish I would know now rather than a few weeks before we sail. Does your anniversary fall on a sea day or a port day?

I have the contract document as well as the wedding brochure that RCI emailed to me. If you are interested, I can email the documents to you for you to review. When I faxed back the contract I listed when our anniversary will be and if it's possible to have our vows renewed on that day. Not sure if I'll receive a response or not. Also I'm not sure if they will do anything last minute.

I hope you'll be able to have your vows renewed on your anniversary as well. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and I wish you all the best in your planning.

Take care!

Trish, I am a first time cruiser. Here is the itinary. What is the difference between "tendered and docked"?

July 29...Port NJ

July 30 at sea

July 31 at sea

Aug 1.. Labeeda 8:00 am 4:00 pm tendered

Aug 2..Jamaica 9:00 an 5:00 docked

Aug 3...caymans.. 8:00 am 4:00 docked ( our anniversary)

Aug 4...at sea

Aug 5...bahamas 7:00 3:00 docked

Aug 6..at sea

Aug . back in port

:) Hi Regina:

Nice to hear from you and hope that I'm able to help you out. We have the same cruise itinerary but I'll be there from July 15 - July 24.

If you have any first cruise questions, please feel free to ask. More than happy to help you out.

To answer your questions...

Docked ~ Is when the ship can dock at a pier. Being docked is much nicer so you can get on/off the ship whenever you want to.

Tendered ~ Is when the ship can't dock at a pier due to the depth of the ship, depth of the water, can't build due to coral reefs that can't be disturbed, etc.. Not every island can accommodate these huge ships and some have very strict rules as well. There will be several small boats that will transport you from/to the ship. You would have to go down to Deck 2 to get the tender. (The deck number might be difference since I've never been on Voyager but it will be listed on the cruise compass or announced.) They can hold up to a few hundred people. Been on them many times and they are fine. Only thing that is a pain is waiting in line for it and you are hot as can be! Don't wait until the last tender to get on the ship since many people do that and it's a pain.

If you have anymore questions let me know.

Take care!

• 2 weeks later...
Trish, I am a first time cruiser. Here is the itinary. What is the difference between "tendered and docked"?

July 29...Port NJ

July 30 at sea

July 31 at sea

Aug 1.. Labeeda 8:00 am 4:00 pm tendered

Aug 2..Jamaica 9:00 an 5:00 docked

Aug 3...caymans.. 8:00 am 4:00 docked ( our anniversary)

Aug 4...at sea

Aug 5...bahamas 7:00 3:00 docked

Aug 6..at sea

Aug . back in port

Hi Regina,

My husband and I will also be sailing on this cruise. We will be celebrating our second anniversary ( a little late its actually 7/25). This will be my 5th cruise, and my husbands 3rd. You will have a blast. Have you registered for the meet & mingle thru RCI? I also started a roll call thread for our cruise to meet other who are sailing with us.

Cruise Critic Message Boards - Voyager Of The Seas 7-29-05

Sherrie

sherrie, this is our first time cruising and have no idea on what to do or expect. What is Meet *& Mingle. Our daughter and her husband will be joing us. I will check out the roll call. thanks for getting back to me. Do you know of anyone who has renewed their vows??

Register for a Royal Caribbean Meet & Mingle here:

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do

Additional information about Royal Caribbean/Cruise Critic Meet & Mingles:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/meetandmingle.cfm

Check out the Confirmed Meet & Mingle List Here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ccCon...List.do?src=CCC

Browse the Royal Caribbean Meet & Mingle FAQ Here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ccFaqList.do?src=CCC

See if Folks Are Sailing with you on the Royal Caribbean ROLL CALL Forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/foru...ysprune=-1&f=35

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gurkleo, We too would like to rewnew our vows, We will be on Jewel of the Seae in March 06 to celebrate my 50th Birthday and have now thought how nice it would be to renew our Wedding Vows - We will be in our 30th year of marraige- and also that our 2 daughters aged 25 & 27 our son aged 22 and our new son in law will also be sailing with us.

Like you I cant seem to get much info on this and I have been told by RCCL here in the U.K that I should call Miami to find out some more But hey we are paying in total $20,000 for our B2B and they expect ME to pay for an international call !

I am also wondering if this is a group thing with everyone who is renewing their vows being done together or is it an individual private affair, We are really keen on doing this but boy is it awkward trying to get info on it, and as you say at $400/500 dollars it aint cheap so why cant they come up with more info.

Hears hoping that some lovey C.C member can help us out with more info,

Sorry - one more ? does anyone know where on the ship the ceremony can be carried out.

THANKS in advance

From happycruzer in Bonnie Scotland

I'll probably be banned (again) for saying this, but want to be truthful, and blunt. I am having the same problem as you. There is NOT enough info re the vow ceremony. Quite frankly, this is a huge turn off. The cost is ridiculous, for 20 min of an already paid crews time, a small piece of cake, small flower, and two glasses of champagne???? HAL cruise line is $99.! Much more reasonable, and I wouldn't hesitate to book it immed for that price.

$400. - 500. US is totally off the wall! I begrudge paying that kind of money, so starting looking for a small inn or B&B to do it at port........ it was going to cost the same or more, as they provide more with the service.

If friends of ours were not going on this cruise with us, I would not have the vow's renewed on a RCCL ship.... I would cruise with another.

From my research..... it is private, cruise director does, can't be done on a formal night, or embarkation, cruise director will meet you same day or next day to arrange, it is handled by a company independant of RCCL, you have to call them..... they will email a use less phamplet, that is geared to weddings! and it tells you almost NOTHING. They have not corresponded with me via email, only to provide the useless phamplet.'

People tell me to do your own onboard, but I really did want it a little more formal, to help control the tears (to be frank). If you get any info please pass on, I would like to know too. Thanks:)

Hi rykersdad.

Believe it or not I have made 4 long distance/international calls and an e.mail to Royal romance, The first call got me through to a recording telling me that they were not open for business yet, The 2nd an hour later (which incidently from the uk is at peak time) I was put on hold so long I gave up. Next I tried an e.mail which they responded to by saying I should hear from them in 3 business days or to call for a fax response which would be done quickly. 2 calls to this later and hey guess what ? I'm still waiting !

Like you rykersdad we too would like a more formal ceremony also due to the fact that we could weep for scotland we are very emotional people at the best of times, so feel that a stranger officiating would help us to keep it together.

This is our first time with RCI and I'm only now realising the diferences between cruise lines for perks and extras, and how some of them really know how to charge.

I am still very keen to do this but am now getting the feeling that if this is how efficient it is at this stage how is it going to be on the day.

Lets hope that they can get some info etc to me asap so that i can brouze it over and make a decision, I think that if i do decide I'll try not to let the cost take the sparkle from it, I would hate to regret NOT doing it.

Good luck and if I hear any more I'll post it hear.

All the best to you all for your forthcoming renewals,

Thanks for all your responses.

I haven't attempted to call them as yet, but will be doing so in the next 2 months.

We thought we could attempt this in one of our ports of call, so I researched really heavily, and emailed people. They all quoted rates comparable to their elopement packages. I want our own music, I will bring my own flowers, and I would rather have a bottle of champagne, rather than 2 glasses.

I want it private, after all we are very private people, and don't want a fuss.

We just feel the need to say it all again, with a few bits added in:D

This is how we wanted it 32 years ago, and never got the chance (mom forced a church wedding!)

Our best friends of 30 yrs are also on this cruise, so this will be special.

I gave up on attempting a port ceremony, so as Canadians we thought it would be nice, to renew while we are in the port of Victoria BC, still Canadian water!:)

My requests are very simple, but I need a commitment on their part before I agree. I have since discovered that the price is $500 during the month of Sept.

I am hoping that this applies only to the Voyager class ships, and not ours.

Good Luck...... stay tuned!

rykersdad

finally recieved Word document from them (still waiting on fax despite 2 calls to their office, international calls at peak rate) but there is no more information in the document than is on the web site !

In my last e.mail to them I asked them a couple of questions regarding the venues on ship etc and I still await a reply even to my e.mail.

On reading a few of the posts on the boards regarding the same company doing actual weddings I dont think we are alone in our lack of response from them. But it would seem that they are the only company doing it with most cruise lines so we really dont have much choice !

I really have my heart set on this ceremony and feel that this company could loose lots of business from people like us, just through their lack of organisation/enthusiasm... and at $400 a time I think they really shoud get their act together.

I intend to e.mail them again next week and if I have no success with them I shall send a copy of it to RCCL.

Perhaps if everyone whos is wanting to do this ceremony and is having the same problems with the company drops RCCL a letter or e.mail regarding their service/lack of we might get some response.

So for all us old romantics out there lets keep it going .

Sandra

Hi Everyone:

It's been a while since I've been on this thread and figure it was time to finally get back on to see if there are any changes.

I started a thread as well and was able to obtain some information regarding the vow renewal.

Rykersdad and Happycruzer ~ Here's the link to the thread I started. Hope this will help you out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=118698

I've been having issues with Royal Romance as well but not to the extent that you are having. When I booked the cruise I also asked my agent to book the vow renewal for me and she did. Royal Romance contacted me and emailed me the contract and documentation to read, fill in the form and fax back. After two weeks, they call me indicating that they never received my contract. I nearly hit the ceiling. After sending them an email I called them and told them that I did follow their instructions and faxed over the form within their time frame and I had the confirmation to prove it! For some reason they couldn't locate it. So I faxed it again and they received it.

While I had them on them on the phone I asked them if our renewal can be done on July 22. The request will go on record and the time as well. From what I was informed they said that vow renewals are done at sea while official weddings are done in port. The "social host" will marry us and we will contact him/her once we are on the ship.

This company is extremely unorganized, not very professional and does not provide much information which is very annoying. We are paying $500 for this and I would expect a lot more. I'm not asking for much since it's us and a few friends that will be joining us to celebrate our special day. It would be nice to have one person to deal with rather than several. No one knows what is going on and it's scary. I had less problems handling my wedding almost ten years ago. Go figure...

If I hear of anything else I'll keep you posted. Best of luck to you and congratulations in advance.

still researching.......... ah, to spend the money? or grab a helicopter, and say... 32 years have been great honey, but the glaciers won out!

if they would just be a little more forthcoming with proper info!

thanks for your input.......:)

:) Hi

Glad I was able to help you out. We are all in this together and hopefully with the information each of us obtains.. it will surely help us have our dream come true or work on plan b. We are sticking to the vow renewal and I pray that it will work out. We've been talking about this day since our wedding day and to have it ruined would be very difficult to deal with. Hopefully when we are on board... things will work out better! I'll just nag them if I have to but I hope for the money we are paying it doesn't come to that.

Good luck with everything.

• 3 weeks later...

We also have celebrated our 25th Anniversary. We were sailing on the Brilliance of the Seas when we wanted to have our vows renewed. I called RCI & was told that all the girl on the phone does is book the Vow Renewal ceremony. Everything is handled by the social director once you are on board. You really didn't seem to get much for your $400 & you didn't have much say so as to what was going on. When I asked further questions on this board I did find out that even though you get the photographer for an hour, you must purchase "package deals" on whatever pictures you want & this starts out at around another $400. I was disappointed at how they were not there to really answer any questions or take any personal requests as to where & when you wanted the ceremony.

So I got the bright idea to check out a coordinator in the port of call that we would be in when we wanted the ceremony. Aruba.....It was the best idea I ever had. We got what we wanted, when we wanted & for a cost that was right for us.

This is my suggestion for all of you. Do a Google search on the port that you will be in on your Anniversary & then get a coordinator that is located in that port & ask all the questions you want. I started out by contacting 3 different coordinators & went with the one that was eager to take care of everything and they did. It was even better than we had expected. When we left the ship I had my gown in hand & my husband had his tux. That was the only inconvienance. I went & got my hair & make-up done, we changed at the salon & off to the ceremony. NO PROBLEM. Since it was only the 2 of us, we had no one to take pics. The coordinator took care of that at a very reasonable price. If you have family, be sure they are all armed with cameras. To me, the pictures were one of the most important parts, we have beautiful memories, no regrets.

It all depends on what YOU want, remember that. There is pleanty of help out there, so keep asking.

If anyone would like info on who we used in Aruba, feel free to ask. It was just an amazing day & it was everything WE wanted & WHEN we wanted it.

• 3 weeks later...

I took part in this post a couple of weeks ago, and due to the lack of response from Royal Romance I have almost given up trying to get info from them. So thought that I'd have another try here on the boards for further info.

According to RR one of the venues for Vow renewal is the library, has anyone teken any photos of a wedding there or even renewed their vows on the jewel that could enlighten me.

We had a beautiful church wedding 30 years ago and are very keen for various reasons to renew our vows, but as the Jewel does not have a chapel it will have to take place in a lounge or library.

My concern is that it will lack something in the atmosphere/ambience to have it in any of these places. Does anyone have any experience at all that they could share.

I have also tried a look at some co-ordinators in St Thomas where we will be on the date we would prefer,To do it the way we would really like totals $1280 and I dont know whether or not we can justify this amount for a total of 11/2 hours. Albiet it sounds a dream.

Any thoughts will be most welcome.

I have now written 3 letters to RCCL, and received no response from them for my various questions (not vow renewal related)... that was 3 days ago.... so I'm not much more hopeful with RR.

My thoughts are "corporate gouging"... If a simple vow renewal is $400 US, that translates into alot more money Cdn! Also, it states that services in July Aug Sept cost $500..... is that for just weddings, or are vow renewals included in the rate hike?

Cost isn't justified IMHO.

I could lie in the spa for that amount, and have someone massage me til every nickle is gone..... good for a few hours at least:D

Everybody has to stay vigilant in this effort... we all need to know!

Keep digging, and so will I

Hi Everyone:

The vow renewal is $500 on the Eagle class ships and above. Of course that is not mentioned in the brochure which is very annoying. Elizabeth actually contacted me a few weeks ago and mentioned that all of my paperwork was fine and if I had any questions to contact her. I was extremely surprised. I requested the date/time to have our renewal done but not sure if they can accommodate that request. Since it's toward the end of the cruise they might be able to do that for us. Not knowing until we are on the ship is extremely annoying. How can you really plan anything when you don't know when the ceremony will take place?

If I hear of anything else I'll let you know. Just wish RR will get their act together. Been reading too many negative things about them but we will still give it a try. It's been our dream for ten years to do this so the fingers will remained crossed!

Good luck to the rest of you and I hope things will turn out better.

Archived