Travel insurance

Gufy

We always buy insurance if cost of trip is more than we feel comfortable losing. Squaremouth is a good cost comparison site. Like PapaFlamingo, we did better than the cruise line insurance by comparing and buying insurance that would cover the cost of our round trip flights to Europe, our accommodations before and after the cruise, and our cruise. We were insured for 3 times the cost of the cruise for very little more money. The medical evacuation was important to us.

I say get it for everyone but that's just me. Back in 2015, my mother who wasn't traveling with us came down with triple pneumonia (never heard of anyone getting triple pneumonia before) just before our cruise. The doctors gave us the 'she's not gonna' make it' speech so we cancelled the cruise. Royal provided all the necessary documentation and the insurance worked out great. To the doctor's surprise, Mom bounced back only to pass last year from cancer. We will always buy insurance.

That is our fear. My mom is 88 now and we have gone through that “she may not make it” experience as you had. Appreciate your feedback...and understanding. 😊

• 2 weeks later...
We always buy insurance if cost of trip is more than we feel comfortable losing. Squaremouth is a good cost comparison site. Like PapaFlamingo, we did better than the cruise line insurance by comparing and buying insurance that would cover the cost of our round trip flights to Europe, our accommodations before and after the cruise, and our cruise. We were insured for 3 times the cost of the cruise for very little more money. The medical evacuation was important to us.

Hi - which company do you use for insurance? We are going on a Princess cruise followed by a week of travel on our own in Italy. Princess trip insurance doesn't cover the portion of the trip after the cruise.

Thanks!

Hi - which company do you use for insurance? We are going on a Princess cruise followed by a week of travel on our own in Italy. Princess trip insurance doesn't cover the portion of the trip after the cruise.

Thanks!

We've purchased travel insurance through

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

We recommend (no matter who you use) that you CALL, and not just rely upon "online policy summaries" (or recommendations from online folks, who may have different circumstances than you have, etc.).

If you discuss your specific situation, they'll help you get the *right* policy for your needs. (They've also once explained why we did NOT need to purchase a separate policy for one trip, which was nice!)

We've had several claims with Travel Insured policies, and "no nonsense" getting paid.

NOTE: If there is a medical claim, one needs to be certain that a physician is contacted asap, to make a contemporaneous determination if trip needs to be cancelled, interrupted, or other costs. (An emergency room visit would count, too.)

It typically won't be good enough to claim later that "I was too sick..."

We've had claims (a few rather large) because DH had a medical emergency less than 2 weeks before the trip was supposed to start, and it was all cancelled - and none of it was refundable at that point.

We had a claim because I ended up in hospital overseas, and we had extra nights in a town we weren't supposed to be in...

And a flight out of Barbados got cancelled, and eventually rescheduled for the next day... (This, for one extra night, wasn't a "reason" we got travel insurance, but since we have it, we do file claims for any valid expenses, obviously.)

Likewise, a doctor visit to a hotel overseas...

That time I was in hospital... we came *very* close to calling MedJetAssist, and saying, "Get me back to *our* hospital", etc. However, just as we were reaching that decision, I turned the corner, and eventually could continue with the last week of our trip, although a lot of that was "just" sitting around enjoying the views. Still better than being "home" :)

And these policies cover us from the moment we leave home, until we return (and any covered delay). It includes travel to airport, air travel, hotels (before/after cruise, or land trips), cancelled excursions (for covered reasons, including change of port or missed ports), medical care on a ship or away from home on land, extra nights' of hotel stays while unable to travel, etc.

AND.. we get policies that do NOT exclude pre-existing conditions, which is important.

GC