Splendours of Egypt and the Nile

Moores.4

Hi, we're 2 adults looking at Uniworld's Splendours of Egypt and the Nile Nov/Dec 2019, 12 day tour as it appears to be the best value in the market thus far, however they don't have a private dock. I have compared it with Viking, A&K, Scenic etc and they are all at least $2000 per person more expensive, with very similar itineraries and inclusions, but the main difference being there is no private dock. My feeling is that the private dock is not worth the extra money, any advice or comments would be welcomed.

We thoroughly enjoyed this cruise with Uniworld in January 2017 and didn't find walking through other ships to be a problem. Due to the drop in tourism, the other ships were not in use at the time, by the way, but guarded and opened for us to walk through. At most of the ports, however, we pulled up right at the dock for our excursions.

private dock provides the boat with a Nile view and increased privacy/security (other boats all moor up next to each other so you can see into other guests cabins, there is increased noise and obscured river views)

We are doing this cruise Feb 2019.

I never thought about a private dock. Is that really important?

It is common, though not a given, that you might have to walk through other boats to board your own.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

We are booked on this cruise October 20, 2018. This is first I have heard of private dock. Book an even numbered stateroom is advice I read on reviews and your stateroom will mostly have Nile view.

Uniworld Nile gets very good reviews!

As mentioned previously the River Tosca doesn’t have a private dock meaning there will be an obscured view of the Nile and as other boats are moored up next to each other you will have less security and privacy as you can look into other peoples cabins and also there is increased noise

We are booked on this cruise October 20, 2018. This is first I have heard of private dock. Book an even numbered stateroom is advice I read on reviews and your stateroom will mostly have Nile view.

Uniworld Nile gets very good reviews!

Hi, we're 2 adults looking at Uniworld's Splendours of Egypt and the Nile Nov/Dec 2019, 12 day tour as it appears to be the best value in the market thus far, however they don't have a private dock. I have compared it with Viking, A&K, Scenic etc and they are all at least $2000 per person more expensive, with very similar itineraries and inclusions, but the main difference being there is no private dock. My feeling is that the private dock is not worth the extra money, any advice or comments would be welcomed.

My wife and I did Egypt with Uniworld in January of this year. Wonderful trip. Service, excursions, ship and personnel were all excellent. Not having a private dock should not influence your decision. Tourism in Egypt is down and the majority of river boats are docked and not being used. As I recall, if we were rafted next to other ships, we were the outside boat. I reviewed the trip for Cruise Critic and you might get some ideas from my review. You'll love your trip.

• 2 weeks later...

We did our Egyptian trip last November and there was only 1 time we were up against other ships and we were the outside and just had to walk through.....their were security guards on that ship. Tourism is down so much that very rare are 2 ships docked at the same time. I sure wouldn't base my trip on having a private dock....base it on the itinerary and what you want to see. For the short time you might be up against another ship should not deter you from booking with the company you want to book with. It is an amazing country and it far exceeded our expectations. It is an ideal time to go as you won't have to wait in line for entry to tombs, etc. as tourism hasn't picked up fully yet.

I certainly wouldn't give any weight at all to a 'private dock'.

The best views are to be had while sailing, not while you are docked, and the security is better when the boats are together as they tend to use police or army guard posts as the docking areas where possible.