Trip to Rome

Hi

Been to Rome a few times on Rome Express train.

Ideally I want to wander round so choice is between Rome On Your Own (don't fancy 1.5hr coach journey each way) or do Rome Express but do own thing once in Rome (ah but they might refuse that with trips being guaranteed for departure so might not be an option anyway).

On this forum I've read lots of people say trains are very unreliable if you want to make your own way there.

Anyone got any helpful advice or will it just be coach or do the trip on the train?

Cheers

We went on the train ourselves - off the ship as soon as the gangplank down and walking round the Vatican at 9am. Planned a route round Rome before we went and had a fantastic day. However, depends on how confident you are doing DIY trips - I guess it's not for everyone.

Thanks dronnygirl. I daren't risk doing train on my own. I'd worry too much in case they were cancelled. Think I will just have to decide between train or coach with the ships excursions.

Decisions :)

I've been to Rome twice by train from the ship and am planning on doing it again this year. The hardest thing is getting from the ship to the train, as you need to get two shuttle buses, which can be time consuming. I've never had any problems with trains being cancelled. All strikes in Italy are planned in advance, so you would be told beforehand if there was a strike planned that day. I've also used the train from livorno for Florence and pisa and never had any problems there either. In fact, I've found the train service in Italy to be more reliable than those in the UK! The train times are easily available online. I have an app on my phone that gives me them. You can work out in advance which trains you want to get there and back to make sure you're back in time. I always plan not to get the last possible train, to ensure I have a contingency plan.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Thank you WeeCountyMan

A couple of punters hereabouts asked me for more details after we'd been to Tarquinia DIY - so I drafted a wee guide, as attached.......hopefully !!!

Also details of the only supermarket we could locate after much asking around - and it's not too far from the cruise coach terminal.

Tarquinia from Civitavecchia.doc