All Ama cruisers!!! Share expierences and ideas

Crusin-Suzan

We did it twice on my first river cruise, which was only one week. I was with a group, and when we boarded they had arranged for our group to do chef's table that first night to make sure we had a chance to do it together without pushing out anyone else that wanted to do it during the cruise. Then we actually did it again later in the cruise with various people we had made friends with. The food was wonderful and the windows gave a beautiful setting for the meal.

We're going on our first river cruise with Serena from Vilshofen to Budapest in June. Really appreciate hearing about experiences and tips anyone might have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Hi! A friend and I will be on same cruise. Looking forward to my first river cruise too. Sue and Bonnie hope to meet you.

We are doing a 14 day cruise out of AMS in June!!! Any tips from former Ama sailers? This is our first river boat cruise!!!

We returned early in May from our Tulip Time trip on the new AMALea - our second cruise with AMA. The new ship was AMAzing in design! We love everything about AMA - but it’s their people who make the difference- you’ll remember them for life! Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Has anyone who has cruised recently taken part in the Sip and Sail? If so could you share some details? Was this before dinner? Thanks!!

We were on the AmaKristina a week ago. The Sip and Sail is the cocktail hour immediately before dinner. Beer, wine, various liqours (but not all) are included. It was a nice way to relax before going to dinner.

Has anyone who has cruised recently taken part in the Sip and Sail? If so could you share some details? Was this before dinner? Thanks!!

We just returned from the AMA Dante on the 24th of May. The Sip and Sail was a great addition to the cruise. Every day they had the drink of the day which included Margaritas, Cosmos, Whiskey Sours, Cuba Libre, etc. But they have a nice drink menu specifically for the hour which includes a selection of mixed drinks, beer and wines. Although our waiters did also bring special requests such as gin and tonic or other combos. The time of the event changed each day depending on how long we were in port and what time dinner was. This was listed in your Daily letter that you receive the evening before. The whole ship participates and its a great way to relax and visit with your new friends and companions. It went over very well on our Medieval Treasures cruise. Review to follow.

Whats the chief table dinner like??? Do you want to do two of them on a two week cruise???
The Chef's table is an experience that you should do but in my opinion you would only want to do one of them on a two week cruise. Everyone is different of course.

We are doing Amsterdam to Basel on July 23/18 on AmaKristina. Does anyone that has sailed the Rhine before know if you are typically sailing overnight or are you ever docked while you sleep? Unlike ocean cruising there is so much so see while cruising I just wondered if you always cruised while you were sleeping or that was sometimes just during the day so you can see the scenery.

Thanks everyone.

We are doing Amsterdam to Basel on July 23/18 on AmaKristina. Does anyone that has sailed the Rhine before know if you are typically sailing overnight or are you ever docked while you sleep? Unlike ocean cruising there is so much so see while cruising I just wondered if you always cruised while you were sleeping or that was sometimes just during the day so you can see the scenery.

Thanks everyone.

We just returned from our Rhine/Main River cruise and we had a fair amount of daytime sailing. Do you have your Itinerary guide yet? It will give you the sailing schedule in there. We did from Basel to Nuremberg, and we sailed in the daytime a lot on this cruise. Some will be 1/2 days either in the morning or afternoon. A few times our ship moved while people were on the excursions and were taken by bus to the next port. One day we decided to stay on board from Miltenberg to Wurzburg which is on the Main River, and we had a 5 hour sail and it was beautiful and relaxing. If you decide not to do an excursion and your ship moves while you are in port to the next port, its great to stay onboard and enjoy the relaxing sail. Out of our 124 people only 20 of us stayed on the ship and we had a grand afternoon.

Thanks everyone.

We just came back from the Amsterdam to Basel on the AmaKristina. You will love it! You will have plenty of time sailing during daytime to view the scenery. Some days we sailed in the mornings (in addition to over night) and did excursions in the afternoon, one day we had excursion in the morning and then sailed right after lunch. You'll have the opportunity to go through locks during daylight as well -- that was very interesting!

We just came back from the Amsterdam to Basel on the AmaKristina. You will love it! You will have plenty of time sailing during daytime to view the scenery. Some days we sailed in the mornings (in addition to over night) and did excursions in the afternoon, one day we had excursion in the morning and then sailed right after lunch. You'll have the opportunity to go through locks during daylight as well -- that was very interesting!

Thanks for the reply. My son has sadly developed some inner ear issues and gets dizzy some days so what I am really wondering are there ever nights that you aren't sailing while you are sleeping? Did you find your room had a lot of movement? We are in rooms 320 and 322. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the reply. My son has sadly developed some inner ear issues and gets dizzy some days so what I am really wondering are there ever nights that you aren't sailing while you are sleeping? Did you find your room had a lot of movement? We are in rooms 320 and 322. Thanks for your help.
We do no find movement on a river cruise ship. The rivers are pretty calm and the ship is long. What you may get is a vibration from the bow thrusters and some engine noise and sometimes when you go in the locks, the ship will move sideways a little but its not the same as being on an ocean cruise ship for movement. We were in room 332 last week and we had no real movement.

We do no find movement on a river cruise ship. The rivers are pretty calm and the ship is long. What you may get is a vibration from the bow thrusters and some engine noise and sometimes when you go in the locks, the ship will move sideways a little but its not the same as being on an ocean cruise ship for movement. We were in room 332 last week and we had no real movement.

Thanks.

I've been on 4 AMA cruises (Paris to Normandy, Tulip Time, Prague to Budapest, Taste of Bordeaux) & loved each one! Everyone I've met onboard has been a delight and you won't find better crews anywhere. I happen to be sailing on my 1st Viking river cruise (Christmas Markets) this November with a friend & I'm already regretting we won't be travelling with AMA after seeing all the nickel & diming Viking does with their excursions! Needless to say, next year, I'll be back with AMA for my Lyon to Arles trip;)

I'm going on the AmaLyra next year Paris to Normandy. Looking forward to seeing Monet's garden. Any tips? We did the last November sailing before the Christmas markets on the AmaSerena last November and loved it!! There were early markets in Vienna and Budapest.

Beachbumsns and seniormom thanks for the information. Sounds like such a nice way to mix and mingle with other guests. Beachbumsns looking forward to your review and hope you had an amazing trip.

I submitted a lengthy review on Sunday, June 3rd, 2018, but I've yet to see it posted. I did receive the email from Cruise Critic saying they received it, and it would be published when it had been checked for content, but that was six days ago and nothing yet. It did not take that long in the past to have a review posted. Has anyone had a similiar experience in not having the review posted in a timely manner? Thanks

Can anyone that has been on AmaKristina please confirm what power is on the ship? Do I need a convertor for iPhone wall chargers? Are you also able to confirm there actually was hair dryers. The site says there are and that everything is 220V so think I don't need to bring a hair dryer and think I must bring a convertor for our wall chargers but would love to confirm that with someone having been on the ship. Thanks everyone.

Can anyone that has been on AmaKristina please confirm what power is on the ship? Do I need a convertor for iPhone wall chargers? Are you also able to confirm there actually was hair dryers. The site says there are and that everything is 220V so think I don't need to bring a hair dryer and think I must bring a convertor for our wall chargers but would love to confirm that with someone having been on the ship. Thanks everyone.
I was on two different AMA ships and they both had the hair dryers in the bathroom vanity. One thing to know, which I learned the hard way, is you have to hold the "cool" button while you are drying your hair to get heat. They plug into the outlet behind the mirror. Also, there is a power bar available to give you more outlets but you will need a converter for your IPhone charger. The converters were a little different in Switzerland than the one I had with me. I borrowed an extra one from the ship which was no problem to have for charging batteries, ipad, etc. I would think the AMAKristina would have the same systems as the Serena and the Dante.