All Ama cruisers!!! Share expierences and ideas

Crusin-Suzan

Glad to finally find the AMA thread. My daughter in law and I will be on AMACerto Gems of Southeast Europe. Arriving in Bucharest 9/19 for 3 day pre-cruise package then staying an extra 2 nights in Budapest on our own. I did a AMA Christmas Market on the Rhine in 2016. Enjoyed it so much, will never go back to the "big cruise lines". Look forward to hearing from anyone else booked on this cruise or any "tips" from those who have done this trip.

We are on the cruise right before you and would love to hear more information.

Really interested in knowing what you thought of the Medieval Treasures itinerary. We are thinking about it for this Oct due to special pricing. Would be our first river cruise.

Where does this cruise begin and end?

We are doing the AMA AMADANTE Rhine and Moselle trip this fall. This is our first river trip. Welcome any suggestions. Should we bring binoculars? Flexibility with excursions. We are meeting two other couples for this trip and plan to eat meals with them.

We are on the cruise right before you and would love to hear more information.
We were in Budapest for two days post cruise. Used the Hop on Hop Off bus to get around and took a taxi to the Fishermen's Bastion, which is an amazing sight. Our cruise ended in Budapest with the Illumination cruise the last evening, amazing to see. We stayed at the Radisson Blu hotel which for us was in a good location. Close to a very large shopping mall near the train station if you want some different restaurants at the end of your cruise. Taxis were not cheap so check with the concierge at your hotel to ask how much you should expect. We found the taxi drivers tried to overcharge us unless we booked with the hotel concierge and knew the price ahead of time.

We are doing the AMA AMADANTE Rhine and Moselle trip this fall. This is our first river trip. Welcome any suggestions. Should we bring binoculars? Flexibility with excursions. We are meeting two other couples for this trip and plan to eat meals with them.
Bring your own binoculars. You may want them from time to time. We have a nice mini set that work well. We usually did the ships tours but sometimes we did things on our own as well. Many of the stops you can walk into the towns. AMA provides umbrellas, and little canes and a seat type of walking apparatus for people with less mobility. There is no set seating on the river cruises. We went with three other couples. We moved around some evenings and sat with other guests. It was a great way to meet people. Ask any questions and I'll try to answer. We did two river cruises so far with AMA and loved each one.

Thank you! I've put it on my list. Did you stay an extra night in Budapest? We are thinking of doing that then training back to Munich.

We've done Danube cruises with Ama twice, and have spent 1-2 extra nights in Budapest. There is a company called Eat Meet Hungary and we've gone to dinner in their home twice. It was fantastic! http://eatmeet-hungary.com/

Where does this cruise begin and end?
We loved Medieval Treasures. It was a great cruise.We started in Basel and ended in Nuremberg. Ours was in May, which was the first time AMA did this itinerary. We spent 3 days in Lucerne and 3 days in Basel prior to the cruise. Two great cities to visit and so easy to get around. If you need any information on these places, let me know and I'll be happy to help.

We spent 3 days in Lucerne and 3 days in Basel prior to the cruise. Two great cities to visit and so easy to get around. If you need any information on these places, let me know and I'll be happy to help.

We are beginning a cruise in Basel next year and am curious about your time in Lucerne? Did you take an Ama extension? Or, did you do it on your own. If on your own, did you go there from the Zurich airport? How did you get there? Where did you stay? Tours? etc.

Thanks

We've done Danube cruises with Ama twice, and have spent 1-2 extra nights in Budapest. There is a company called Eat Meet Hungary and we've gone to dinner in their home twice. It was fantastic! http://eatmeet-hungary.com/

That sounds wonderful, going to inquire about doing this- we are spending 2 nights in Budapest pre Melodies of the Danube in April.

We are beginning a cruise in Basel next year and am curious about your time in Lucerne? Did you take an Ama extension? Or, did you do it on your own. If on your own, did you go there from the Zurich airport? How did you get there? Where did you stay? Tours? etc.

Thanks

We did Lucerne and Basel on our own. Just my opinion but I find the AMA extensions very pricey although they do include your transfers and your hotels and some meet and greets with other guests and a tour I believe. We like to explore these cities pre and post cruise on our own to have some down time with no structure. We flew into Zurich from Halifax. Layover in Montreal. Our flight arrived at 7:15 AM. We walked out of the airport after picking up our luggage and across the street to the train station. We picked up our tickets on the direct train to Lucerne. It was a one hour train ride. We stood in the line up to make sure we got the right tickets for the train as the ticket machines were in the language of the country, Swiss/German. We were were advised not to buy tickets in advance in case our flight was delayed which is was by 1 hour. Went downstairs to the platform and found our pickup spot and boarded the train. I was a little concerned about the travel method having not travelled by train with luggage before but it was really easy. In Lucerne, we were there early, so our hotel which was one block from the train station and one block from Lake Lucerne, Hotel Central Lucerne kept our luggage and we went out exploring. We were able to check in around 1 pm. A lovely hot breakfast is included with your stay and the staff were excellent. Hotel rooms were very modern although not air conditioned. We travelled in May so it wasn't too bad and we were able to open our large windows fully for air flow. In Switzerland the hotels give you a pass that gives you free transportation on the bus system. Very modern busses. We walked over to the Tourist information booth, another block from hotel and purchased our ticket to take us to Mt. Pilatus round trip, which included bus to Mt. Pilatus, Gondolas up the mountain, Cog Railway down mountain and boat trip on Lake Lucerne. It was a beautiful day and was a wonderful tour. The next day we took the little train around town and we walked everywhere else. This hotel location is very central, thus the name I guess. Highly recommend it and the tours we did. Great markets across the river by walking the Chapel Bridge. The bar areas there are nice too. If you need anymore information let me know. We also stayed at a great hotel in Basel if you don't have that picked yet. Hotel Restaurant Resslirytti. A great spot for catching transportation and walking the Rhine River and close to grocery, restaurants, etc including the hotel pizzeria. Have a great trip.

Did AMALYRA Normandy last June. Fabulous cruise itinerary. Monet's House & gardens- beautiful gardens, nice walking area.

Gift shop a little pricey but then again when is the next time you will be there.

Normandy cemetery & beaches- very emotional (dgt & niece of WW2 vets) very moving Taps ceremony at noon.Read your history for a full appreciation.

The small towns along the way are very photogenic-get out and walk- you will be rewarded with wonderful sights & memories

Have a great cruise

Carole

We did this same cruise last September with Captain Masson and loved it, but it rained alot! We booked Colors of Provence for Sept 2019.

Allyson

My travel agent just advised us of a new app that AMA Waterways has for river cruising. Might make things easy to check out while travelling.

AmaWaterways recently developed an app calledAmaCruiser, which is available for free and features a live cruise-tracking mapas well as photos and information about each of the destinations and theavailable shore excursions. The app gives users the opportunity to upload theirphotos and create a personal cruise album or share images via email or onsocial media. The daily cruise newsletter is also made available during thesailing, with the daily schedule of events”

Thanks fir the AMA App hint!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please write a review of your trip when you return! We are doing this trip in 2019...

I sailed with AMA back in 2016. It was my first river cruise and I LOVED IT...…..now reading this thread it makes me want to sail with them again:D…….I am looking for 2019 (finally) going to take my 2nd river cruise. I have been researching ALOT lately and was thinking of trying Crystal but everyone on here who has previously sailed with AMA makes me re-think the Crystal choice...…...I am going to look at AMA again:D My cruise was TULIP TIME and just not sure what to do this time! Fun trying to figure it out. I just remember it was so good! Everything was top notch......food, service, tours,......I LOVED IT!:D

I sailed with AMA back in 2016. It was my first river cruise and I LOVED IT...…..now reading this thread it makes me want to sail with them again:D…….I am looking for 2019 (finally) going to take my 2nd river cruise. I have been researching ALOT lately and was thinking of trying Crystal but everyone on here who has previously sailed with AMA makes me re-think the Crystal choice...…...I am going to look at AMA again:D My cruise was TULIP TIME and just not sure what to do this time! Fun trying to figure it out. I just remember it was so good! Everything was top notch......food, service, tours,......I LOVED IT!:D
If you loved it, stick with what you know. We did AMA last year and loved it and did another this year. You can get some great 1/2 price specials. Check with your TA. The sales like this you do not see online. Usually come out in the fall. We love AMA and will stick with them for sure. They also give you a loyalty discount on your future cruise.

If you loved it, stick with what you know. We did AMA last year and loved it and did another this year. You can get some great 1/2 price specials. Check with your TA. The sales like this you do not see online. Usually come out in the fall. We love AMA and will stick with them for sure. They also give you a loyalty discount on your future cruise.

Thanks for your thoughts. :) I know it is a 100.00 for the discount. I am looking at my options. I am not usually this fickle but I am trying to find "the one"......if that makes any sense. I found a couple of choices on a couple of other lines that look very good to me as well. Sticking with what you know is good too......I did that for nearly 13 years with Celebrity and then I spread my wings and branched out...it was freeing;)…...I haven't sailed with them in nearly 3 years...…(sorry I went off on a tangent)……..I will keep looking:)

OK, our first river cruise is about to start, AMA Dante, Aug 09, Nuremberg to Luxembourg, with precruise in Prague and post cruise in Paris.. Suitcases come out on Aug 05 and we will pack, as light as possible (that will be interesting). Catch our flight for Prague on Aug 06, for our short precruise stay there.

We are looking forward to this trip on AMAWaterways, as we have heard many good things about this line. Bringing lots of shorts and sunscreen, as temps are quite high, 80s/90s. Fingers crossed that we don't run into any itinerary changes/long bus rides due to the low water levels on the rivers.

OK, our first river cruise is about to start, AMA Dante, Aug 09, Nuremberg to Luxembourg, with precruise in Prague and post cruise in Paris.. Suitcases come out on Aug 05 and we will pack, as light as possible (that will be interesting). Catch our flight for Prague on Aug 06, for our short precruise stay there.

We are looking forward to this trip on AMAWaterways, as we have heard many good things about this line. Bringing lots of shorts and sunscreen, as temps are quite high, 80s/90s. Fingers crossed that we don't run into any itinerary changes/long bus rides due to the low water levels on the rivers.

Have a wonderful trip and hope you enjoy cruising with AMA Waterways as much as we did.

We have deposited for a “Melodies of the Danube” cruise on the AMA AMAlea for July of 2019. We had to decide between the “double balcony “ BB category or the single window category CA. The $900 total difference between the 2 categories was not that much concern to book the larger/ balcony cabin. There were no CA category cabins in the top desk( even over 1 year in advance!) so we took the BB cabin on the second deck. Was this a mistake?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have deposited for a “Melodies of the Danube” cruise on the AMA AMAlea for July of 2019. We had to decide between the “double balcony “ BB category or the single window category CA. The $900 total difference between the 2 categories was not that much concern to book the larger/ balcony cabin. There were no CA category cabins in the top desk( even over 1 year in advance!) so we took the BB cabin on the second deck. Was this a mistake?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Definitely not a mistake. The BB category cabins are far superior.

Please share your thoughts when you return - we are booked on the AmaDante for a May cruise. Which cabin category did you select?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are planning our first ever cruise(s): A Mediterranean cruise on Royal Caribbean "Rhapsody of the Seas", and the Rhine and Moselle Splendors on AmaDante. The original thought was that we would take 4-5 weeks in Europe and do both cruises at that time, to celebrate our 30th anniversary in 2020. We've been saving our Aeroplan miles for YEARS expressly to take this trip, but now I see that some cruise lines sometimes have specials for free or discounted airfare, which means that maybe we could look at doing the cruises over two holidays. Does AMA ever run that kind of offer and if so, has anyone here taken advantage of it? Perhaps I am better off to have my travel agent keep an eye out for the "half of" offers instead?

We are planning our first ever cruise(s): A Mediterranean cruise on Royal Caribbean "Rhapsody of the Seas", and the Rhine and Moselle Splendors on AmaDante. The original thought was that we would take 4-5 weeks in Europe and do both cruises at that time, to celebrate our 30th anniversary in 2020. We've been saving our Aeroplan miles for YEARS expressly to take this trip, but now I see that some cruise lines sometimes have specials for free or discounted airfare, which means that maybe we could look at doing the cruises over two holidays. Does AMA ever run that kind of offer and if so, has anyone here taken advantage of it? Perhaps I am better off to have my travel agent keep an eye out for the "half of" offers instead?
I haven't noticed any airfare specials with AMA but I have purchased my last two river cruises at 1/2 off. One was in April 2017 and the other May of 2018 and friends did one 1/2 off in March 2018. There were different months for the 1/2 price special. I've priced some of the other companies that show the airfare specials and the cost of the cruise seemed pretty high compared to this AMA special pricing. Hoping they bring out another sale for next year.

We returned back from a Magnificent Europe river cruise on AMA in July. We were talking to our travel agent about the cruise (which was excellent) on our return when she told us that if we were interested in the Colors of Provence river cruise in late October, that it was a 2 for 1 special. We jumped on that and will be doing that cruise. We have been on 4 AMA cruises and our TA has let us know on a couple of occasions that certain cruises are 2 for 1 but not advertised on the AMA website. From what I remember these specials seem to be in the early spring or late fall and in that time frame there are a number of cruises on sale but this is the 1st time the dates have worked for us.