Emergency back at home

Raycin

You have received some good advice. The one thing I would add is the method you ask your parents to use depends on what you consider an emergency. If you are looking to only get contact in the case of a situation that may cause you to fly home from the next port, giving the grandparents the way to contact the ship may be sufficient. If you want to be accessible for important items, but not true emergencies, then a wifi plan or adjusting your cell plan may make more sense. For me, I will generally get the wifi plan as having internet access, plus being able to be contacted is worthwhile to me.

We’re FINALLY going on our first cruise since our honeymoon 15 years ago. We’ll be on the Oasis of the Seas January 7th. I have all sorts of questions which I’m trying to find on here, but my biggest one is this: We’re leaving my 12 year old son back at home with my parents. What are my moms options of getting a hold of me in case of an emergency?? I really don’t want to buy the WiFi package if I don’t have to. We were hoping to just check our email in the evening to make sure everything is ok. Does Royal Caribbean have minute plans at all?
We have at&t. I turn off my mobile data on my phone and I can get text messages no charge, 50 cents to send. I can also get calls in an emergency. I just pay the per minute charge. They also have plans for $10 per day, but I never need that much.

We’re FINALLY going on our first cruise since our honeymoon 15 years ago. We’ll be on the Oasis of the Seas January 7th. I have all sorts of questions which I’m trying to find on here, but my biggest one is this: We’re leaving my 12 year old son back at home with my parents. What are my moms options of getting a hold of me in case of an emergency?? I really don’t want to buy the WiFi package if I don’t have to. We were hoping to just check our email in the evening to make sure everything is ok. Does Royal Caribbean have minute plans at all?

We were on a cruise a few years ago and there was an emergency at home. We were called to Guest Services and told that our son had called and needed us to call home immediately. We called him back right from there -- on their dime (well, obviously far more than a dime!). We were able to resolve the issue over the phone after a 20 minute phone conversation. They told us to that we were welcome to come back down and use the phone again, if need be. I don't know that they still do that, or if any emergency will play out this way, but we were so grateful. Oh, I should mention, my son had called Royal's main phone number and they then contacted the ship to let us know.

I didn’t know it was that cheap. I thought it was closer to $20 a day for WiFi?? And can I text then or is that something I would have to contact my provider about?

Just set your phone settings to use WiFi for text & calls. Of course you won’t get notifications like you’re used to, but it works fine when you’re logged on to the WiFi. I’ve gotten phone calls at night when I’ve been on WiFi in our cabin. (I’m not sure if your phone and/or carrier make any difference but we have iPhones and AT&T)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, you need a phone that supports wifi calling. Most modern smart phones do.

And your carrier needs to support wifi calling. T-Mobile, ATT, and Verizon do. I do not know about other carriers.

And you MUST set up wifi calling when connected to the cellular network, so do this BEFORE you sail

You really should just buy a wifi package. Can get it for the whole week for $11/day or so. Then share it with your significant other, too. Just one device logged in at a time but it's nice to have. I would want to be connected back home 24/7 if I had even the slightest concern about potential emergency notification. What's $80 for that peace of mind? Plus, you will have fast wifi to use the entire time if you want it...

This. Our first cruise away from the kids, I was just as anxious. We were able to buy by min back then. But buying the WIFI will give you piece of mind. Now focus on having fun!

Last September, near the end of our TA, my husband had a heart attack, the Supervisor for Guest Services, handed me his phone so I could call the daughter and told me if I needed it again to let him know. I let the daughter call the rest of the family but I did Txt her with updates until we got into Newfoundland where we were assisted off and my husband to the Hospital. We were 2 days out of Halifax, reason we diverted to ST Johns. Newfoundland. ( 1 day out )

Get the ship number and give to them. Discuss what is an emergency ... calls are expensive

This is what we do. We have never been called. We just leave the ship # . We have found in our situation that, our parents raised us, and know how to handle our kids, so unless it is a life or death situation, we don't need to know about it. We find that way we enjoy our cruise and our kid "forget" about us. And for me, when I am on vacation, my phone / all electronics are shut off and in the safe, so using our phones would not work anyway.