Shower / Commode chair

Rafter

My husband and I will be going on the Serenade of the Sea in September for his first cruise. He is completely confined to a wheelchair, when you bring your own shower / commode chair do you take this carry on luggage or checked baggage? As at this point we are planning on bringing our own, as we are renting a Hoyer lift to have delivered to the room. We will be driving to the port so the airport is not an issue. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve always used checked. I have a large duffel that we put large difficult to damage items in. Shower chair (broken down), tablet stand (broken down), my grabber, etc. We use luggage straps to keep things from rattling/shifting. so far, 6 cruises no damage. I hope I didn’t just jinx myself :)

We checked our shower/commode chair at the pier, but you need to be sure that it is in a well padded case or box. Watch how the stevedores throw around the checked luggage, and stack many bags on top of each other. If you are concerned about damage, best to take is as part of your carry on. There is no limit for this when boarding the ship. We never checked it getting off the ship because we needed to use it the morning of disembarkation. Do you have a travel style shower/commode chair?