Misty Fjords Cruise & Floatplane Adventure Ketchikan HAL

Sallyandtex

Hi,

Has anyone done this tour thru HAL?

We were going to book Floatplane to Misty Fiords with a private operator ($239), but this one also includes a catamaran boat trip and although pricey ($390 each) looks good, I can't see it anywhere but the HAL website.

There is a disclaimer that in bad weather, the flight will be cancelled and the other portion at a reduced price, but nothing about a refund. Can you refund if you don't agree on the reduced price?

Also, might be better to book the private Misty trip and a separate catamaran but I can't see one that matches.

Thanks

I looked at the same two options for next July. We had our misty flightseeing canceled due to the weather last August so we wanted to try again. I choose flightseeing only (independent booking) over the cruise/fly thinking that if the weather is crummy the cruise only might not be worth taking. Cruise/fly combo means the shore excursion people get some of your money no matter what the weather is like.

Also, might be better to book the private Misty trip and a separate catamaran but I can't see one that matches.

Thanks

I think this must be booked through the cruise line (air/boat combo) as it involves two different vendors. Allen Marine does the boat portion. I think Taquan Air did the air version but it could be booked with other companies the cruise line books through.

In my case, I am glad I booked this through the cruise line. They were not offering the RT boat trip at that time (this was probably the first summer they offered the boat ride to Misty Fiords) and there were only 6 of us who booked the combo. We were probably 30 plus minutes late getting back to the ship and they did wait for us. We had very limited time in Ketchikan that day. I wouldn't normally worry about this but our time in Ketchikan was something like 6-12, very short.

Most people much prefer the flight portion of the combo. Personally, the flight made me and others in our plane sick. Not sure if we had extreme turbulence or what. I was so glad to land and the landing was great. The boat ride back, IMO, the first portion was extremely beautiful but the rest was not any different than from the cruise ship.

Thankyou! Very helpful, I will look into a few other options.

Do you know of any day trips that the cruise offers that would take in the pretty part of the trip, plus more scenic/nature with perhaps a bit of waliking, without plane?

We will be doing cultural stuff on another trip after the cruise and I dont like shopping 😉