prescription swim goggles

coiran

prescription swim goggles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This may not belong on this board but for those divers and swimmers who are optically challenged, I found a site where you can order prescription swim goggles for $19.95 US + $5.00 shipping - they also have inexpensive accesories. goggles come plain or tinted. Sounds like a good deal - leave it to our Canadian friends for cheap prescription items. I saw them on the early show this morning being modeled by Harry Smith.

http://www.aquagoggles.com

Not sure spleen, but this is how we got one. We went in and said we want to rent one regular mask and one prescription mask. The employee asked my husband how blind he is, and he just said, "really blind". So the guy handed my husband one of the many masks they had, he looked through it without his glasses and said it would be great. It was pretty funny.

I meant to say that Snorkel Bob has "RX" masks, meaning prescription

You can order ahead on the internet (with your actual RX) and pickup when you get there, return on the last island that you visit

Supporting his business is good for the environment and all the good work that he, Snorkel Bob, does.

also, they dont call his masks "seamo better" for nothing

The stick-ons I've heard of are called Optix. Don't know how much they are though or where they are sold. I opted for diopter lenses in my new mask (less than $60 total extra). Much cheaper than getting my exact prescription, which will change eventually, and almost perfect. Also the lenses can be swapped out when my prescription changes enough for it to be noticable. One note: the water itself gives a 1/4 to 1/2 diopter correction.

beachchick

I tried one of the press-in adjusters. They, indeed, adjust the diopter, and go up to about -7.50. I needed something stronger than that (yes, I AM that blind), so I sprung for the special-made goggles with my prescription. My prescription has changed some, but, heck, its for underwater use, and I'll probably be good for 4-5 more years.

My mother-in-law's company distributes them. They are manufactured by 3M and should be available from any optometrist. I've seen them and they are pretty cool, work well, can be used on lenses as small as swim goggles, and are replaceable if needed. Unfortunately, I don't know the cost. However, just ask for the 3M press-on lens distributed by Signet Armorlite.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I each got RX masks for our Hawaii. He is nearsighted and can't see past the end of his nose, but he got the stock diopter lenses. However, I have astigmatism, so stock lenses won't work for me, so I got lenses made for me. They should be good for a few years....a little off is better than WAY off!

• 2 weeks later...

This is such good news. I was wondering how my DF would do the snorkeling without his glasses (he won't wear contacts) and you have all given me some great things to check out.

Thank you!

Tanya

• 13 years later...

I think there may be a confusion on this thread between masks and goggles. For the original poster, yes, there are some prescription goggles for swimming available, and theyre not very expensive. Prescription masks for scuba/snorkeling will be a little pricier (I just wear my contacts and learn how to clear my mask properly in case any water gets in it - push your palm on the top forehead part, tilt your head back, and blow gently out your nose)