Caution when pre purchasing internet minutes

scmexico

I spoke with Princess today to order internet minutes for my cruise based on a post on this board. I assumed that I could order the package and get credit for it with my CC perk when they billed it on the ship. I specifically asked the CSR if I could do this and she told me NO. A pre-purchase is a separate deal. You can only get your CC benefits on board. So be careful what you buy as you may not get the CC credit.

I spoke with Princess today to order internet minutes for my cruise based on a post on this board. I assumed that I could order the package and get credit for it with my CC perk when they billed it on the ship. I specifically asked the CSR if I could do this and she told me NO. A pre-purchase is a separate deal. You can only get your CC benefits on board. So be careful what you buy as you may not get the CC credit.

Just curious as to why someone would pre-purchase internet minutes?

Brain freeze here. What is a CC perk?

I also called Princess today inquiring about buying minutes before I go. At first I was told no that it wasn't possible and my reply was they had better update the website. When she discovered it was possible after quoting the item # the price she quoted was not the same. Also I am on a 14 day (which amounts B2B) but only have 1 booking number, I was told the minutes I buy are only good for 7 days. So as far as cruise credit goes it is considered 1 cruise but when it comes to buying these minutes it counts as 2 cruises. That sucks !

Guessing that a lot of investigation is going to have to take place before I attempt to pre-purchase minutes for our upcoming TA. which is 15 days!!:o

One would think that there wouldn't be a time limit to use all the minutes... but, then again, we all know the cruiselines are out to 'make a buck', so who knows... If anyone has information regarding B2B's or TA's, please advise...!

I'd be guessing that if a Customer Service Rep. didn't know that pre-cruise 'minutes' were available in the first place, anything that Rep said from there on could be wrong.. We need first hand info.. Off to investigate further!!! :rolleyes:

I'd be guessing that if a Customer Service Rep. didn't know that pre-cruise 'minutes' were available in the first place, anything that Rep said from there on could be wrong..

The Customer Service Rep not knowing the correct answer, doesn't surprise me in the least. In fact, I'm rather amazed that some of these Reps even manage to find their way to work in the morning.

If I call the cruiseline and don't like the first answer, I just call again and somebody will tell me something different. I can just keep going, until I get the answer I want to hear. I'm being facetious of course, but the point is that as a general rule of thumb, the cruise line rep is NOT the best source for accurate information. Most have never even been on a cruise, and can only read "canned" responses from their monitors to me, and I swear I believe some of them just make something up, in an effort to get the customer off their phone.

I end up digging for the information myself, or have my brick & mortar TA dig it up for me.:rolleyes:

In a strange way, this makes sense as anything you prepurchase before the cruise is billed to your credit card right away, not to your onboard account. They do not credit your onboard account for the internet minutes automatically, only if you actually purchase them onboard. I wish there was some way that their accounting system could handle it, as it would be nice to get the extra minutes over and above the package we get for free.

Does anyone know if buying the packages in advance with bonus minutes would be an advantage over any coupon or first day offer they have when you board?

Thanks!

I believe they offer 20 bonus minutes if you buy them by a certain time on the first day. Prepurchasing the minutes offers an extra 20 minutes if you buy the least expensive $55 package, but it goes up from there for each package after that. You get 40 onus minutes for prepurchasing the $75 package, 60 bonus minutes for prepurchasing the $100 package and 80 bonus minutes for purchasing the $175 package.

Does anyone know if buying the packages in advance with bonus minutes would be an advantage over any coupon or first day offer they have when you board?
From what I've found so far, the CC FREE minutes are not combinable with the pre-purchase minutes..! :( So, the pre-purchase pricing as shown on the Princess site 'probably' doesn't apply to a TA or B2B... Expires after 7 days at the 'listed' pricing.. :o

Will advise if I am able to find out for sure, but guessing we need to find someone who has recently pre-purchased as well as done a B2B or TA! ;)

From what I've found so far, the CC FREE minutes are not combinable with the pre-purchase minutes..! :( So, the pre-purchase pricing as shown on the Princess site 'probably' doesn't apply to a TA or B2B... Expires after 7 days at the 'listed' pricing.. :o

Will advise if I am able to find out for sure, but guessing we need to find someone who has recently pre-purchased as well as done a B2B or TA! ;)

I don't qualify for any free minutes...but sometimes you get a coupon on board that gives you a discount on the package and I'm wondering which way would be more advantageous ... to prepay or purchase on board with any offer available...of course, no guarantee there would be an offer! Don't understand why the package would expire after 7 days...but you are correct ... hope someone who has been there and done that will post!

When you prepurchase anything from Princess they will ask for your booking number so it gets to the right person. Since you have one booking number for the entire 15 day TA the minutes should be good for the entire time. I have sailed on 14 day cruises and used the CC free package. It was good until I ran out of minutes, not just for the first 7 days of the cruise. If you were doing a back to back cruise they may cancel the remaining minutes at the end of the first segment and you might have to buy more minutes for the second segment. This is one of the reasons they offer different size packages, figuring those on longer cruises will need more minutes.

When you prepurchase anything from Princess they will ask for your booking number so it gets to the right person. Since you have one booking number for the entire 15 day TA the minutes should be good for the entire time. I have sailed on 14 day cruises and used the CC free package. It was good until I ran out of minutes, not just for the first 7 days of the cruise. If you were doing a back to back cruise they may cancel the remaining minutes at the end of the first segment and you might have to buy more minutes for the second segment. This is one of the reasons they offer different size packages, figuring those on longer cruises will need more minutes.
Many thank you's for that information! :) At the price they are asking, I'm thinking I will fax the info tomorrow and 'see what happens'!

I'm sure that whatever I find out may benefit others..! Only one way to find out!! :D

Many thank you's for that information! :) At the price they are asking, I'm thinking I will fax the info tomorrow and 'see what happens'!

I'm sure that whatever I find out may benefit others..! Only one way to find out!! :D

Did you know, that you can telephone 1-800-PRINCESS to make this purchase and/or discuss it with a Princess agent?

Hi All-

There is another thread related to this one about internet. Stlrboo, I am with you. I think I'll fax the information tomorrow and see what happens.

I also came across this information from someone reporting live from Crown Princess:

LIVE from the Crown Princess Jan 23rd-30th

For those who need to know, Plats and Elites

will not be getting the extra minutes for buying an internet time plan on the first day. It specifically says so in the Patter.

Hope that helps

-Danny

Did you know, that you can telephone 1-800-PRINCESS to make this purchase and/or discuss it with a Princess agent?
Absolutely!! :)

I also realize that most Customer Rep's have no idea what applies to a TA vs a 7 day cruise..!! ;)

Another reason I no longer deal with Carnival PVP's... No clue! :rolleyes:

We'll see what happens tomorrow...

There is a package for $58.95 for 120 minutes that includes 20 bonus minutes for pre-purchasing the package. This also includes the 3.95 activation fee. This is 10 more minutes than what you get the first day signing up on the cruise. I called my Princess rep today and pre-ordered. This info is under the Learn about our cruise, Onboard Experience on the Princess website.

Stlrboo, I am with you. I think I'll fax the information tomorrow and see what happens.
Danny, please 'post' and let me know what happens!! :) No sense in both of us 'testing the waters'! :rolleyes:

I'm following the other thread as well.. I figure for 15 days, the DW and I would have no problem using 310 minutes, and $103.95 is a pretty good deal, compared with other prices we have paid on other cruiselines! :D Please advise....

Also I am on a 14 day (which amounts B2B) but only have 1 booking number, I was told the minutes I buy are only good for 7 days. So as far as cruise credit goes it is considered 1 cruise but when it comes to buying these minutes it counts as 2 cruises. That sucks !

When you are onboard, speak with the Internet Cafe manager. He/she should be able to make any unexpired paid minutes carry over to the second part of your single cruise booking.

Archived