Victory - Port or Starboard?

CruisinGrandmas

I will be cruising on Victory in April and am currently booked in a Port (even-numbered) balcony cabin. Which side of the ship should I have booked in order to see the islands and the last minute "runners" prior to departure, etc.? Thanks!

port side is the right side. have to edit. actually the port side is the left side, but what i meant is for what your looking for, the port side is the best side.

This is such a good question and one I deliberated over when we booked. originally we had an 8A on the port side then when we upgraded we ended up on the starboard side.

I've heard that the direction the ships dock can be hit and miss (oops... that's a really bad pun considering the latest accidents! sorry:| ), but this is how it played out for us.

Leaving San Juan - definitely better to be starboard as you cruise out of the bay and around by the fort.

St. Thomas - Coming into the bay we could see the island. Starboard faced the pier, so we could watch people coming and going and see the shopping complex, but the Port side offered a better view of the island. Sail away from deck 10 was so beautiful from the stern and I wish we had videoed it.

Dominica - We did get some nice view approaching the island, but we docked Port side, so couldn't see much. We went up to 10 for sail away.

Barbados - We could see the island and port approaching in the morning but we docked Port side again. We were in the Pacific dining room at the stern having breakfast when they parallel parked that puppy close to another ship and all the glasses were rattling away. No great views from that port anyway.

St. Lucia - Now, this is where we were particularly happy to be starboard, as we were able to see the Pitons from our balcony as we rounded the south end of the island early in the morning. We also pulled in with Starboard to the pier, so we could watch the going's on, but probably didn't have the best views of the island.

People meandered very slowly back to the ship well after 4:30 and right up until about 4:50. Sailaway was 5:00. I couldn't believe how lax a lot of people are about the boarding times. No one bothered to rush.

St. Kitts - Again, we could see some St. Kitts, and Nevis very well, as we approached in the morning, but we were not on the pier side.

St. Maarten - Again we were not on the pier side. We had a view of a hill rising up beside us... and a bunch of containers and trucks and stuff in the dock area. Again we went up for sail away.

So overall it seems that Port is a better bet for facing the port/pier. Starboard we only docked pier/port side 2 days out of 6. However, we still loved the views from the Starboard side, particulalry heading North, early in the morning as we passed islands in the distance and tried to determine which ones they were. I could never cruise without a balcony.

For the Southern route cruise--the side of the ship doesnt matter.

In one port you will dock port side--the next port--starboard-

Depends on how many ships in port. when you leave. when you enter.

In St Marten you view will be either a ship or water. or what was listed up top.

Archived